Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace the inner tie rods (front). I have the tool to unbolt inner the tie rods. What's the procedure? I can't find this. Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have this thanks, but can't find the procedure to replace the front inner tie rods with the rack on the vehicle.

·
Registered
680 Posts
raise+support vehicle
remove wheel
loosen tie rod jam nut using 17mm wrench
remove cotter pin at outer tie rod to knuckle
remove outer tie rod to knuckle nut using 17mm wrech or socket
hit knuckle with hammer at tie rod mounting location to cause tie rod to "pop-out" of knuckle. You can use a "pickle-fork" for this but tie rod boot damamge offen occures
spin outer tie rod off inner tie rod counting how many turns are required
remove spring clamp from small end of rack boot
remove and discard clamp from large end of rack boot
remove rack boot
use tie rod tool to remove inner tie rod from rack ram. do not use an impact gun

apply lock-tite or similar thread locker to inner tie rod at rack ram end
if used, intall retention washer onto rack end of inner tie rod
install inner tie rod into rack ram. If retention washer is used, ensure the alignment tabs lock into the rack ram notches
use tie rod tool to tighten to specifications, overtightening can cause internal damamge to rack and pinion assembly. Do not use an inpact gun
if used, bend retention washer over flat spot in inner tie rod
reinstall rack boot using a new one time use inner clamp as before, or quality zip tie
install spring clamp onto small end of rack boot
install jam nut onto inner tie rod
install outer tie rod into inner tie rod counting turns to ensure it is in roughly the same place as before
install outer tie rod into knuckle
install outer tie rod to knuckle retention nut, torque to specification, tighten further until hole for cotter pin lines up
install cotter pin
tighten jam nut
install wheel, torque to 80ftlbs
lower vehicle to ground
take vehicle to shop for alignment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts