Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5th Generation 2001 Prelude
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Recently I had the privilege of having my car broken into and stolen. The thief, being the upstanding gentleman he is, decided to smash my window and ravage my ignition wiring.

Among the casualties included my immobilizer ring, which I now curiously have three of (The original, the one I pulled from a scrapyard, and the one the thief brought(?)).

Of course, there was an oversight on my end when trying to repair the ignition. I don't have the red key needed to reprogram the immobilizer to the ECU from either the scrapyard or the original vehicle (which is quoted at 600$ to replace via Honda).

As I understand it, the ignition key chip, the immobilizer ring, immobilizer brain and the ECU all communicate with each other.

That brings up a couple questions I would like to ask you all:

1: Is there anyway I can use my original immobilizer ring to make the scrapyard one work?

2: If none of the rings are working, how can I figure out which one was the original?

3 (BONUS): How in the world did the thief get my car to start and go, assuming that he only brought the ring and not an immobilizer brain and ECU?

I understand that this is a long winded question but it's pretty hard to find info regarding my issue online, and I don't have much experience with these components.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
5th Generation 2001 Prelude
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The green key light flashes, so I'm fairly sure it is in relation to the immobilizer. I can also use my command start to start the car, and putting the key into ignition keeps it on and able to drive. This almost eliminates any doubts that it is something other than the immobilizer.

So far I have:

Attempted to plug in each immobilizer ring (no result)
Checked the ACG-S fuse (no result)

So yeah, pretty stumped. Will look around a bit more today and post any updates if anyone ever has the same issue.

And any suggestions are appreciated!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts