Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i dont know if you guys ever got nervious by goin to the tracks for the first time.. but i am. like the first time i dragged a friend in the parkin lot i went to shift to 2nd and it only went to neutral... it was my first week with the car and first car with a standard. my brother wants me to goto the drags when my car is fixed but im like nervious that ppl are gonna see my noobness, or i may miss gears cos im too nervious lol. any tips?

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
tips for first timers?

if you're wanting to get a good time don't worry about who you are racing. your reaction time has nothing to do with your et or mph. focus on your launch rpm and how you slip the clutch. don't pay much attention to the tree or the person beside you. you don't want to try to cut a good light and screw up your launch. also try not to think about the people in the stands watching.. because more than likely a lot of them actually aren't paying you much attention :p

this is the main thing to worry about for your first time. get the launch down and be sure you hit the other 3 gears. after you get used to the track and different techniques you can start to work on your reaction times, how you stage, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, thanks. any tips on how to launch? i had a friend say 2.5k rpm's and shift at 7.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
you've got an h22?

*edit.. just checked your garage and saw that you do.

i would try 4500 to start and see how that goes. if you bog the launch, up the rpm in incriments until you feel you're where you need to be. my best launches came around 5000 rpms where i could spin the tires over to get the car moving while staying over 5000. when the tires finally grip you're at/past the 60' and above vtec in 1st gear. i normally shifted around 7600 rpms which was 8k on the stock tachometer.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
just find an empty lot and practice your launch and for all of those peeps who give you crap for missing gears ill bet their first few times to the track they messed up and were embarassed...ill be honest bro the first time to a strip will scare you along with the next few but youll get over it...i know they scare me i would hate to stall or anything along those lines but hey somewhere on streetfire there is a video of a guy who takes off in reverse so just remember to put it in first and youll do fine...

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
^ the problem with that is a parking lot is much different than the staging lanes on a track. my launching techniques weren't the same for both the track and street.

·
Registered
343 Posts
if you're wanting to get a good time don't worry about who you are racing. your reaction time has nothing to do with your et or mph. focus on your launch rpm and how you slip the clutch. don't pay much attention to the tree or the person beside you. you don't want to try to cut a good light and screw up your launch. also try not to think about the people in the stands watching.. because more than likely a lot of them actually aren't paying you much attention :p
said perfectly!

heres my noobie stories

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235235

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237026

some pretty good stuff from everyone in ther

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh, thanks guys. so, rev to 4k. any tips on staying at 4k without going above or below? or is it just steadyness with the foot. then boom, pop the clutch and go? ive dragged before in the parkinlot against a 5thgen lude and a 300zx. i burn for a while then the RPM's shoot up. fun stuff.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
neonxiii said:
Heh, thanks guys. so, rev to 4k. any tips on staying at 4k without going above or below? or is it just steadyness with the foot. then boom, pop the clutch and go? ive dragged before in the parkinlot against a 5thgen lude and a 300zx. i burn for a while then the RPM's shoot up. fun stuff.
holding the rpm's is one thing you can practice on before going to the track. it's not hard, just get the rpms where you want and hold it.

you can try dropping the clutch, but i'm not sure how well it will work. i found it best to slip it just a little while going wot. once the clutch is out you can feather the gas to keep the rpms where you want them. however if you have a stock clutch, slipping it will probably not be a good idea as you'll probably just glaze the clutch.. i had an aftermarket clutch so this wasn't a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, you gotta wait till i get a new headgasket, oil and radiator fluid changed and stuff. so... next monday?

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, Someone just told me that when a head gasket is blown, the engine never runs the same? is that true??

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, Good! Im thinking about taping a drag against me and my friend eric again in his 300zx, i want my preludepower sticker first though!

·
Registered
259 Posts
neonxiii said:
Alright, Good! Im thinking about taping a drag against me and my friend eric again in his 300zx, i want my preludepower sticker first though!
yeah dude, my lude gained about 5whp w/the sticker. LOL. It is a kickass sticker thogh.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts