Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, call me Rad.
I'm new, obviously. I've done research, and even searched here. I'm restoring a 1997 type sh, I bought the car thinking it only needed a clutch... Bahahaha... Now you can call me Mr stupid, I started into the job, only to find I need alot more. I have some pictures of the car before I tore it down. I may have some pics of it more recently too but I'd have to look for them. Thier either in my phone or my woman's.
I got side tracked sorry. Anyways today I was looking at my timing belt balance belt etc. I know I got some leaks I need to take care of. And I plan to. So this is what it looks like inside my covers...
After doing some research I've found out that the previous owner or one of the 4 had done what looks to me as the g23 manual tensioner conversion... however I'm missing some parts I believe. Down near both the balance and timing belt tensioner pulleys, where the old auto tensioner would be located?, I'm missing part number14521-P14-A00, it's basically the bracket that the tensioner bolts to to keep adjustment for the timing belt if I'm not mistaken. The part is discontinued from honda.... just my luck...

So I need help now and hopefully someone here can help me. I have 2 options that I can think of. Either find one of those brackets used from a forum member, or try to return it back to the oem parts, which I believe in missing some of the key bolts for that. Now I don't mind going back to oem. And I can find the parts on my own. I'm a big boy, I wipe my own a$$ !!
does anyone have the parts I'm missing that would be willing to part with them? I'd pay for thier troubles. I don't expect anything free. Or if there is someone who still continues making this style kit still? I know the belt is super tight after completion of the installation, and I'm ok with that as long as it's in correct.

If this is a topic that I've somehow missed, please forgive me. I have Ben doing alot of searching on this forum for days and days and it's provided me with an abundance of knowledge now.

Please book a ninja up. I will be sure to keep updating more as I go too. More pics etc. Once engine is fixed and completely done with what I plan. I will be attempting to change to an obd1 ecu with hondata to get tuned. I got all the parts to change over already. And also found a shop that is really the best in my area at tuning. Thanks everyone and sorry for being Mr stupid if I am

This is what the car looks like for the most part. I have clear fogs, and full clear turns. Here in PA you can have clear turn lenses, but have to run Amber bulbs. So that's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm from the states, Pennsylvania about a half hour or so south of Pittsburgh. What part of Canada you from? I have a buddy Nick who lives up there, he's near what he calls no man's land.? Idk he's a nut. Thanks again.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Check out the file I attached for a "KS Tuned H22 version 2 timing belt tensioner "
"KStuned h22version2 timingtensioner by kstuned" kstuned.com

I tried to attach this file but Prelude Power wouldn't accept the file for whatever reason. Prelude Power.com has changed it's format since I last logged onto this forum, so my navigation skills for this website are lacking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It won't work with this style set up, already looked into it. I need the old manual tensioner style apparently came for h23 engines, if I do decide to change back to oem style with a manual tensioner, they would be who I contacted. But thanks though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not having any luck... Blah, I think I'm going to just go back to oem with the manual adjuster similar to KS tuned
If

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if anyone is curious on how things are going with my issues. I have a small update.
Today I spent $147.00 on random timing related bolts and a seal for the lower timing cover through Honda. I also purchased off one of my highly trusted sellers on eBay a water pump kit, with belts, tensioner etc for like $65. I got a few other seals n gaskets I'll be replacing while I have the engine and transmission out as well. And I'm going to order one of the KS tuned manual adjuster soon as I finish this post. I will try to take pictures of everything as I go as well.

I've also just purchased a new catback, and a set of energy hyperflex bushings. Will be installing those soon. Thanks for the help guys. Will keep you both in mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice buy mate, best of luck to you on your new project. SH's are harder to find now here, and mine is also leaking im just tackling it down one by one. O-Ring for the distributor was my most recent one the gasket was completely solid lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea so I got my trans seals and atts seals in got some pics I'll try adding, I received my bushings, which I have installed yet but I'm going to work on that tomorrow, I torqued my flywheel down after doing the main seal kit a few days ago. I got my catback exhaust yesterday, header is on its way. I got my timing belt balance belt, balance seals, new water pump. Just waiting on my manual tensioner... Coming from China which I guess the area it's coming from is very meticulous with what they send out not to transfer the 2020plague, so might not get here till June. But yea. It's so hard to find parts.... I'm making it happen though
Rockauto sells balljoints pretty good price, so I got all those coming. Anyways I got some other goodies too but it's not much to talk about
Here's some pics maybe if I can get them to upload

And just an FYI, my name's not Dave. It's Rob, Dave is my friend who works at the dealership. He put the order in for me, it came to like 59 and some change here in PA, I hope these pictures can help someone. And the parts number is for each seal and where it's located.

And this is just hilarious, my buddy found this and wants to make me one for my 01 Civic. It's a real pos. Slower than molasses. Can't wait till the ludes done.

I'm having trouble finding tierods for it. I'm really not trying to spend 300 bucks on inner and outers from dealership... Does anyone know of the parts numbers from another company that's not OEM parts Numbers for the type sh? And I was wandering how much the difference is between base and sh, is it alot, will they work, any help is greatly appreciated. And I'll be sure to continue updating the lude for you guys. Might have to change to another page. Don't want to get in trouble by anyone for not staying on topic. Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny, I'm also restoring a 97 type sh, need some parts. I need visors, a rear view mirror, and I also have a manual tensioner conversation it looks like. I have a zip tie in there (car came like that lol) I had to take an aftermarket intake manifold off and swap the stock one on there but now I'm getting codes for the egr and knock sensor so now it's coming off again. I have bushings to replace in the front end. Car has been chewing through oil too, 194k on the dash but the previous owner said it was rebuilt. Middle timing belt cover is missing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I haven't looked into it's oil consumption yet. I bought it thinking I only needed a clutch and maybe brakes rotors. Well the person I bought it off of didn't tell me that they did burnouts till the clutch glazed the flywheel, then continue to run it till literally the wheels was going to fall off of it.
They did buy an exact street light kit from act... So atleast I got a good flywheel lol. I had it turned and the step matched too, that way I know it grabs as it should. I got an OEM plus exedy clutch and HD pressure plate.
When I went and took it all apart I decided to pull both motor n trans out. I'm glad I did. Whoever did the clutch in the car didn't put all the bolts back in on the atts unit. Didn't change any seals, it was leaking from the rear main on the block, the VTech selinoid was leaking, as you seen from the pics the timing shit was all half-assed, missing parts.... I started today removing the rust and old bushings out of the front lower parts, and primed and painted some so far, I didn't get to take any pics of that yet.
Damn near every bushing and motor trans mounts needs replaced... energy's hyperflex ftw. Lol.
Awe shit, almost forgot today I went to take the rotors and brakes off the spindles, went to wack the rotor with a hammer cause it's imo scrap metal at this point from sitting so long, and the fucking wheel bearing on passenger side literally just blew apart. And the driver's side is pretty bad too, so I figure fuck it I'll just buy all new hubs n bearings. So I got them on the way now. And damn I still need brakes n rotors and hope n pray the calipers all still ok.
So I'll make a list of all the stuff I've bought since I got the car kind of a list for myself too. I forget sometimes how much I've actually got into it
Let's see
1997 Honda prelude type sh.. $1200
Flywheel machine work.. $80
Clutch kit. $95 eBay suckas
OEM miscellaneous bolts timing and suspension related $147
Timing belt, balance belt, water pump, seals n gaskets with pulleys etc $85 eBay suckas
Manual timing tensioner $32 KS tuned from reseller eBay suckas
Rear main seal and gaskets $13
Transmission and atts seals $60 OEM Honda dealership
DNA Motorsports catback exhaust $110? Not sure had a discount from previous purchases so it's like $100 really idk, what was cool, they included the 4 inch section that makes it for base or type sh. So will work for either. Dope right? I thought so...
DNA Motorsports header $165 for type sh. Couldn't pass the price. I thought it was a good price
8 balljoints $110 uppers lowers etc.
Inner outter tierod ends hubs front and rear with bearings $210
I also spent like 20 bucks at Lowe's and rewrapped my engine harness with anti vibration high temp cloth tape. Looks dope. Call me an enthusiast, ocd, anal, or just bored. Atleast I know what my harness looks like. I had to replace a few connectors, but I think it's all good.
Clear fogs and turns $50 from eBay.
Type s front lip, $75 from my ninja who totaled his lude and kept the lip. So I took it off his hands.
I have a Mugen style rear lip on its way. I think I got it for $128 off eBay.
Master kit energy bushings $255 and both front and rear sway bars too for another $45 so $295...
Not counting countless hours of hard work, and busted knuckles. Paint and primer, and still have to get pads n rotors still... Blah.... Yea so that my 97 lude so far. Just waiting for parts, and time to put it all back together. Not enough time in the day....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea I haven't looked into it's oil consumption yet. I bought it thinking I only needed a clutch and maybe brakes rotors. Well the person I bought it off of didn't tell me that they did burnouts till the clutch glazed the flywheel, then continue to run it till literally the wheels was going to fall off of it.
They did buy an exact street light kit from act... So atleast I got a good flywheel lol. I had it turned and the step matched too, that way I know it grabs as it should. I got an OEM plus exedy clutch and HD pressure plate.
When I went and took it all apart I decided to pull both motor n trans out. I'm glad I did. Whoever did the clutch in the car didn't put all the bolts back in on the atts unit. Didn't change any seals, it was leaking from the rear main on the block, the VTech selinoid was leaking, as you seen from the pics the timing shit was all half-assed, missing parts.... I started today removing the rust and old bushings out of the front lower parts, and primed and painted some so far, I didn't get to take any pics of that yet.
Damn near every bushing and motor trans mounts needs replaced... energy's hyperflex ftw. Lol.
Awe shit, almost forgot today I went to take the rotors and brakes off the spindles, went to wack the rotor with a hammer cause it's imo scrap metal at this point from sitting so long, and the fucking wheel bearing on passenger side literally just blew apart. And the driver's side is pretty bad too, so I figure fuck it I'll just buy all new hubs n bearings. So I got them on the way now. And damn I still need brakes n rotors and hope n pray the calipers all still ok.
So I'll make a list of all the stuff I've bought since I got the car kind of a list for myself too. I forget sometimes how much I've actually got into it
Let's see
1997 Honda prelude type sh.. $1200
Flywheel machine work.. $80
Clutch kit. $95 eBay suckas
OEM miscellaneous bolts timing and suspension related $147
Timing belt, balance belt, water pump, seals n gaskets with pulleys etc $85 eBay suckas
Manual timing tensioner $32 KS tuned from reseller eBay suckas
Rear main seal and gaskets $13
Transmission and atts seals $60 OEM Honda dealership
DNA Motorsports catback exhaust $110? Not sure had a discount from previous purchases so it's like $100 really idk, what was cool, they included the 4 inch section that makes it for base or type sh. So will work for either. Dope right? I thought so...
DNA Motorsports header $165 for type sh. Couldn't pass the price. I thought it was a good price
8 balljoints $110 uppers lowers etc.
Inner outter tierod ends hubs front and rear with bearings $210
I also spent like 20 bucks at Lowe's and rewrapped my engine harness with anti vibration high temp cloth tape. Looks dope. Call me an enthusiast, ocd, anal, or just bored. Atleast I know what my harness looks like. I had to replace a few connectors, but I think it's all good.
Clear fogs and turns $50 from eBay.
Type s front lip, $75 from my ninja who totaled his lude and kept the lip. So I took it off his hands.
I have a Mugen style rear lip on its way. I think I got it for $128 off eBay.
Master kit energy bushings $255 and both front and rear sway bars too for another $45 so $295...
Not counting countless hours of hard work, and busted knuckles. Paint and primer, and still have to get pads n rotors still... Blah.... Yea so that my 97 lude so far. Just waiting for parts, and time to put it all back together. Not enough time in the day....
Impressive, to say the least. keep us posted :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's going to look good when it's all done. I got a pic of the front lower control arms and radius arms? Idk if that's right but I got them all nice n perty looking

The lube that was provided by energy suspension for this kit is extremely sticky. But I have to wait till I get my bearings and hubs to finish off the front pieces. I got the upper control arms ready for paint tonight too, but I'll get pics of the. Maybe in a couple days. Some of my missing parts come in today too. So I'll be working on my timing belt water pump, might get that all torn down n prepped for when my metal water line that runs under the intakes o rings comes so I can just finish it all at once.
Anyone got any tips on the best way to keep everything lined up without special tools like timing keepers etc. ??? I'm knowledged on dohcs, did a non VTec b18 about 6 years ago for a friend. Didn't have any troubles, idk I think I'll be ok, I just idk, you guys know how it is when your messing with timing even if you check it over 100x, there's always that doubt like damn I hope everything is right ..
But that'll be Sunday. I hope to have this car finished by July. Want to take it out for it's first drive around town on the 4th. Get all the mechanical done then this winter work on the body. Need to patch a small hole on the top of the wheel well on driver's side. It's like the size of a nickel.
Get it all smoothed out, lay a base coat of primer, sand it etc. Paint it. Keeping the engine bay red. Thinking about changing the color though. Idk. Well that's what I got for an update so far. Thanks everyone for taking the time to check out the discussion. Looking forward to posting more pics and info as I go

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I got some more done on the lude. It was an on and off rain day. So I was stuck mostly indoors. I'm waiting on the manual timing belt tensioner. Should be here next week. So excited.
So today I changed my fuel filter out for a k&n one. I changed out my power steering pressure line, then got my clear fog and turn lenses on the front cover, and I got rained on, so I went back to my engine work. Got all my balance belt, and new OEM timing pieces changed out instead of the stuff It had on it before. The h23 stuff. So now it's back to stock, just waiting on my tensioner. But it's all just chillin waiting for the last piece then covers can go on. I did get a few more pics today. My exhaust is all in except my cat. Waiting a few more weeks till I get it. Won't be running for atleast another month anyways. Thinking about changing the fuel pump too. Haven't started on the rear suspension yet. But I hope to by next Sunday to get atleast one side apart. That way I can get it all cleaned up and parts painted. New balljoints in bushings etc. This week I'll be ordering a set of silicone hoses. Going to keep with the red theme. And the following week will be aluminum radiator and aluminum fan shroud with fans. Not many more parts to change out other than sensors lol. I put my water pipe o rings on too. Lost my vtec selinoid gaskets... Not sure where I put em lmao. If I can't find them by end of tomorrow I'll have to get a new set. But here's a couple more pics for anyone interested.
Thanks for following if you are.

Got it alot cleaner than last pics. New water pump, both belts. New bolts I was missing, new tensioner pulley bla bla.

Them look alot better in my opinion than the yellow ones and Amber turns. Needs a bit of work on the cover, but it'll look dope when I finish.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I have an update on my lude.
So Monday I got my manual tensioner finally. Took forever to get here. Got it installed and out in time and balance belts all good togo. Put my vms aluminum crank pulley on. Cut out some of my old lower timing cover. That way I can keep an eye on everything for a little while. Make sure no leaks or belts is all staying in place. Got a few pics of that

Today is now Sunday. And I got a bit more done I put my clutch n pressure plate on. I believe my manual says 19lbft torque specs for the pressure plate bolts. Seemed like they barely got tightened up lol. But I put the transmission on with like 4 bolts and put the starter back on. Got some pics of that too

Jyea. Did it all in rebok slides lmao.
But tomorrow I'm going early am to put atts unit on, get it all ready for when I out it back in the car. Anyone know how much fluid I should be putting in the unit? I've read a quart, someone said 2, someone said fillit and spillit. Idk... If anyone knows how much I'd appreciate it alot.
More updates coming soon
Thanks again for taking the time to read this. Good luck everyone and have a good memorial day tomorrow

·
Registered
704 Posts
Keep up the good work kid, it'll be worth it in the end. I have a '99 Base model with a factory born manual shift and factory black leather...a rare breed. I always like the Type SH ATTS and they came with nicer rims USDM. It sounds like your rebuilding her from the ground up because previous owner abused her. Keep us updated, I like to see the motivation to bring a rare Type SH back to life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep up the good work kid, it'll be worth it in the end. I have a '99 Base model with a factory born manual shift and factory black leather...a rare breed. I always like the Type SH ATTS and they came with nicer rims USDM. It sounds like your rebuilding her from the ground up because previous owner abused her. Keep us updated, I like to see the motivation to bring a rare Type SH back to life.
Thanks alot. Today I was going to fill the atts but looks like I shouldn't have too much problems filling from underneath. I have a hand pump so it should make it alot less complicated. And I guess it's pretty much going to be a new car. I just need to get it running and driving so I can see if it's got any codes popping up. But I hope it won't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts