Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that the ps pump has a countersink bolt but im nervous about running into one on my t-belt, and a bunch of other stuff, so im hoping someone with knowledge will ease my nerves, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
"countersink" ?? Are you refering to the "left hand thread" nut for the P/S pump ? To loosen up you turn clockwise and to tighten you turn counter clockwise. Is that what you mean ?

You will NOT run into any bolts or nuts like that when you change the timing belt.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome dano. im worried about snapping the "adjuster bolt" that holds the "tensioner" because i was reefing on it pretty good and all i managed to do was turn it left about 3mm. and it felt like it actually tightened it.

so i think ill try using brake fluid and see if that penetrates it.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Keep brake fluid away from that thing.

Brake fluid is for brakes, nothing else, it EATS paint, and some rubbers.

The last thing you want is to find out that it eats timing belt rubber.

If the bolt is stuck, your pretty much in for a world of hurt, but there are methods.

1) get some penetrating oil(!!) and spray it around the base of the bolt.
2) tap(not hit) the bolt head 100 times with a hammer
3) Loosen a couple degrees, tighten slightly, loosen, tighten slightly, always gaining ground towards loose.

Thats about it, it'll either come out or snap off.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
if it snaps...
*shudder*
I dont even wanna think about that...I dont think there's room in there for any drill in the world :|

sounds to me like someone just tightened the hell out of it...get a breaker bar :razz:
if you're replacing the tensioner, get a torch out and heat the bolt a little bit

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh im so happy i got it out, without snapping it. like my friend says, "a bouncing movement will break it free, but a contstant force will break tools"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts