Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to take the tumblers out of the ignition. I lost my keys in about 1 foot of snow and can't find them. I need to take the tumblers out so I can make a key for it. I tried to find an exploded view of it but can't.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
If you have a 90-91 just take the title and registration or just the registration to the dealer and they will make you a key.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a 90-91 just take the title and registration or just the registration to the dealer and they will make you a key.
I have an 89si. I took the lock down to honda, they can't match any numbers on it. It's not the original lock because the guy I bought the car from changed the lock because he lost his key. Honda can't match my VIN number either. I used to take chev tumblers out and make keys fit but Don't know how to disassemble the Honda lock. I dont want to pay 65 dollars to have a locksmith do it.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah gotcha should be in the online factory shop manual you have drill the bolts or grind them off and replace them with new bolts from the dealership that have heads that break off once torqued back down.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah gotcha should be in the online factory shop manual you have drill the bolts or grind them off and replace them with new bolts from the dealership that have heads that break off once torqued back down.
I've already got the lock off my steering column. I can drive it now but use a screwdriver to start it. I need to take apart the Lock part, get the tumblers out, and make the tumblers fit my other key.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The manual says "turn the key to the "I" position and push the pin and pull the cylinder out" I don't have the darn key....guess I'm stuck.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
you shouldve just kept looking through the snow.
i dont think it wouldve been that hard to find.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Two Screws on the back of the ignition un-plug it and bammmm break your steering wheel and drive it LIKE YOU STOLE IT !

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
does your ignition match your door locks?

if so, pull a door cylinder, those are much easier to take apart.

if not, time to raid a junkyard for a full set of matching locks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does your ignition match your door locks?

if so, pull a door cylinder, those are much easier to take apart.

if not, time to raid a junkyard for a full set of matching locks.
Door locks are different. I wish I had a metal detector. I'll look in the snow more today...so tired of re-shoveling all that snow. I'll call the wrecking yard today. Hope they have one with a key. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GOT IT!!! I made one of these:

Then I put it in the ignition, move it back and forth quickly while applying pressure....tumblers turned easy...took it apart, inserted my Mitsubishi key and filed the tumblers to fit the key. Wrecking yard wanted 35 dollars...saved myself some money.
see him do it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyLvZPlgcP4

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
yay!
now i know how to steal a car..
lol

its like your key fucking the ignition.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice job! You should have matched it to the door key though
I couldn't. Door key and ignition key were on the same key ring and in the 2 foot snowbank that the plow shoved around. It's a different ignition lock that the previous owners installed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts