Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum members,

My dashboard lights will frequently flicker when I turn my key to the ACC (accessories) position, and occasionally, I get no power at all in the ACC position.

Car always turns on but I get a transmission error code right when the car starts up, which I am trying to get rid of. The transmission error code only fires after a flickering dash, which leads me to believe it is a problem with the ignition switch (already diagnosed that it's not the solenoids and replacing TCM did not fix).

Could someone please help me understand...

Can I simply replace the ignition switch if my '97 Prelude has an immobilizer? Or do I need a new immobilizer and keys as well?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
6,589 Posts
You can simply replace the ignition switch. It's just screwed to the back side of the ignition assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! Just curious, besides engine stall, did anyone experience flickering dash lights when turning key to ACC position / no power at all on ACC position? Was this remedied by ignition switch change?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you guys! Just curious, besides engine stall, did anyone experience flickering dash lights when turning key to ACC position / no power at all on ACC position? Was this remedied by ignition switch change?
I had an issue where the dash lights would flicker when turning the key to ACC position, and sometimes the car would refuse to crank for a minute or two. It was fixed by replacing the battery.

I did end up having to replace my ignition switch at a later date due to engine stalling while driving, but the two problems were independent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had an issue where the dash lights would flicker when turning the key to ACC position, and sometimes the car would refuse to crank for a minute or two. It was fixed by replacing the battery.

I did end up having to replace my ignition switch at a later date due to engine stalling while driving, but the two problems were independent.
@Nyska thank you for sharing your experience. It really appreciate it!

I tried charging my battery to rule out battery and immediately I still got flickering dash / no power in ACC problem. I I don't think it is the battery for me. Also, wiggling the key in the ACC position sometimes restores power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Nyska thank you for sharing your experience. It really appreciate it!

I tried charging my battery to rule out battery and immediately I still got flickering dash / no power in ACC problem. I I don't think it is the battery for me. Also, wiggling the key in the ACC position sometimes restores power.
Ahh okay, I don't know enough about the ignition/electrical system to know why wiggling the key might work, sorry!
But yeah, if you have the spare cash to spend on an ignition switch, it's an easy install. Took me about half an hour. You just remove the six screws holding the steering column in, take that off, unplug the switch, remove the two screws holding it in (for one of them you'll need a phillips head with a small handle as it's a tight spot) and put the new one in. I believe the part number is 35130-S0A-003.
If it doesn't fix the issue, at least you can cross it off the list.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The correct part number is 35130-S30-305. There was actually a recall for premature ignition switch failure on most 97-99 Preludes, along with Accords and Odysseys of the same years. They are a pretty normal item that wears out as the vehicle ages, though. Wiggling the key moves the lock cylinder in and out which places additional pressure on the switch, causing it to make contact again. Just replace the switch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
its your ignitions switch and a simple easy fix (with just an ignition switch) ...utube googleit...and i had pretty much exactly same problems as you and mine HAD the recall done....like 20 years ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts