Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

ive got a 88Si and i recently have had an ignition problem. i replace the coil, and still get no spark from it. i replace the Igniter unit with a used one and my fuses are ok but still no spark from the coil. i highly doubt its the igniter unit, ive herd that they dont go out easy at all. what are the chances i have two bad ones. dont want to get a new one casue they are like 200 bucks! and im about to let the ol lude go so id like to not spend any more money. any suggestions?

·
Registered
317 Posts
does the car turn over at all? if not maybe the batter or conections. However since you said your not getting spark i'm guessing that you can turn it over. I think there is a thread around here about an ignition module under the dash and that the wires come unsoldered not letting you turn the motor on. Try searching for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it turns over, the battery is fine tested and charged. i just get no spark. i dont think its the distributor cause there is no spark from the cable that runs from the coil to the distributor. im thinking my coil is fine and that somewhere along the line no juice is getting to the coil. just a guess though casue i have no frekin clue.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
the thing amaymi is talking about is the main relay. it sounds like it could be your problem. take off the lower half of the dash under the steering wheel. theres like 4 screws...by the fuse box. try tapping it while starting it could be the cause u can check out www.prelude3g.com for a write up of how to re solder it...it could also be your crank angle sensor i did a write up on cleaning it here....
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231106

let me know if that helps =]

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i have a suggestion, check the ecu for trouble codes. then come back and post the codes you got, and we'll help you from there lol

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
That "main relay" under the dash is for the fuel pump.

If the coil and the igniter is good there may be a problem inside the distributor. There are two functions to a distributor. The high tension part is the rotor and the distributor cap. The other is the magnetic reluctor thing deeper inside the distributor. This sends a weak signal to the igniter (amplifier) which kicks it up to a voltage the coil can work with. Check the wire connections to the distributor including the black ground wire that goes from a wire loom near the coil to the distributor body.

What you need is a volt/ohm meter and follow the testing procedures in the online manual.

·
Registered
113 Posts
im having the exact same problem with my 89. im not getting any spark. the coil tested to spec. i took the igniton wire off the distributor to see if there was spark. there was none. but the coil tested fine. i cant find anywhere how to test the voltage coming out of the coil. anyone know how to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts