Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My key stoped starting my car.
It will still open doors and trunk.

I went to the dealer and had another key made thinking my key was just to wore down. And when I tried that it still wont turn the ignition.

I can get it just far enough to unlock the wheel.

The fix would be to change just the key cylinder?

And troubleshooting I could do?

·
Registered
801 Posts
There was an ignition interlock recall. I'm not sure if the 98's were covered under the warranty, but you can check on honda.com under the owners resource link.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
How is it not starting the car? Is it cranking? Is the green light flashing in your dash?

Call up your local honda dealership and ask if any recalls need to be performed. (Not sure either if 98's were involved, but it only takes a few minutes!)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Um.

When I put the key it it wont even turn.
No lights come on.
It wont even make it to acc.

I dont think its the switch. I think it is something to do with the lock cylinder its self.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the dealer and they said my vin matched the recall..
But its not whats wrong.

So I had to order a 97 ignition cylinder to swap it with my 98 one.
It should swap fine right?

IF not is their a way not to spend 464dolars.

·
Love the power of H
291 Posts
yeah I searched recalls on google or yahoo and they will tell you all the recalls on the car i think almost all 5th gen preludes have this problem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my only problem.

If I get it towed to the dealer when they fix the recall will taht fix the problem with my key not turning?

Or is that something else.

Cause if that will fix it i would rather do that then have 2 keys for my car.

But if I take it their and it doesnt fix it then I have to someone put the new cylinder on their and then have then program it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive done it all.

I had the guy come over from across the street(he rebuilds cars) to even help troubleshoot.

I tryed jiggling it to make sure its in park.
Moving the steering wheel.

the key only turns barely enough to unlock the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
If you replace the ignition lock with a new one and a new key, you're going to have to have a copy key (T5) made to match the new key for the new lock. They'll have to write the immobilizer signal from your old key onto the new one...just an FYI incase you didnt know. Believe it or not most of the parts guys arent intelligent enough to realize this has to be done...

The reason you have to copy your origional key is because unless you have the origional red learning key the Prelude's Type-1 Immobilizer cant be reprogrammed...

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
No, the immobilizer unit on the Prelude is one so that without the Red learning key, you have to replace the immobilizer control unit. It's like $400. That's why you copy the signal off your old key.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I called the dealer and they said my vin matched the recall..
But its not whats wrong.

So I had to order a 97 ignition cylinder to swap it with my 98 one.
It should swap fine right?

IF not is their a way not to spend 464dolars.
97 one is not interchangeable with the 98+ as the the part that locks the steering wheel in place on the 97 is wider where the 98 is thiner and longer as I ran into this problem when installing a 98 lock into a 97 and spent 2 hours with a dremel cutting the steering colum to fit the 98 one in... or you can rebuild the lock cylinder it's not hard to do just replace the bad wafers..as for the immobilizer you can rekey your replacement lock to your old key or else have to have a T5 key cut and the the transponder code from your old put into the new key..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so if one of you guys had your lock dylinder go bad what would you do to fix it then???

Take it to the dealer?
I thought the recall was just on the switch and to make sure the key doesnt come out in drive or reverse?

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I would rebuild it myself as it's now that hard, But of course Honda say it cannot be repaired which is B.S. if I remeber right the recall was the electrical part of the switch going bad and stalling the car.. but for now just remove the lock cyclinder but leave the electrical part and the black keyring part with the green plug behind use a screwdriver to start the car just remember to put your key against the keyring or else the immobilizer will not let it start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ignition

So i have a 98 prelude my key broke off in my cylinder so i removed it. I can turn the internal mechanism with a screwdriver and i know there is a chip in the key so i put the key in the black key ring witht the green plug on it so that the green key light on the dash doesnt flash but it still wont start. Someone help please....COULD IT BE THAT I NEED TO PULL THE BATTERY CABLE OFF AND RESET THE ECU THEN TRY IT AGAIN? IVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR A WEEK LOL I NEED MY CAR BACK ASAP I MISS HER :?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just had this problem a few months ago ! Out of no where my key didnt turn in the ignition leaving me stranded ! Had to get the car towed back home ! Well anywayz after makin several calls an doing research i thought i had a better chance an save myself some money to take off the ignition key cylinder an take it to a local locksmith! Thank god he was able to fix it, put it back on whoolah car started wit no problem...

·
Registered
104 Posts
My suggestion is take off the key mechanism and take it to ur local locksmith he should be able to open it an fix it ! My locksmith told me he had fixed the same issue on a Honda accord where it wouldnt turn at all .....give it a try What do u got to lose

1 - 20 of 24 Posts