Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been having a idle surge problem and i replaced the intake manifold gasket and it got somewhat better. it used to bounce from 1-5k but now its only 1 to barley under 3k. i didnt have a torque wrench so i didnt tighten those manifold bolts a lot out of fear of over torqueing. so idk if its just that they arnt sealed properly because somtimes if im sitting in a parking lot with it surging and i just rev it up to the limiter it stops surging and idles normally. any help would be appreciated i replaced the iacv with one from a f22 because i read somewhere that it will work the same.

·
Administrator
7,112 Posts
Going to your limiter is not the way to resolve that type of issue.

Do you have any torn vacuum hoses? Or by chance the plastic nipple on the box beneath the manifold has broken? Any modifications to the manifold? Is the motor stock and when did this start?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to your limiter is not the way to resolve that type of issue.

Do you have any torn vacuum hoses? Or by chance the plastic nipple on the box beneath the manifold has broken? Any modifications to the manifold? Is the motor stock and when did this start?

Oh I know it’s definitely not the way to resolve it I jsut added it because it’s a weird thing that “fixes” it and thought it could help anyone figure out aswell, and where is that box at I haven’t seen that and I do have a cold air intake and it’s a completely stock motor as of rn I replaced both iacv and it’s always had an idle surge when on a cold start but like about a month ago it’s now constantly surging does it also help that when I turn my ac on it doesn’t surge as high

·
Administrator
7,112 Posts
Oh I know it’s definitely not the way to resolve it I jsut added it because it’s a weird thing that “fixes” it and thought it could help anyone figure out aswell, and where is that box at I haven’t seen that and I do have a cold air intake and it’s a completely stock motor as of rn I replaced both iacv and it’s always had an idle surge when on a cold start but like about a month ago it’s now constantly surging does it also help that when I turn my ac on it doesn’t surge as high

Have you checked the throttle body gasket and plenum gaskets for leaks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So ive been having a idle surge problem and i replaced the intake manifold gasket and it got somewhat better. it used to bounce from 1-5k but now its only 1 to barley under 3k. i didnt have a torque wrench so i didnt tighten those manifold bolts a lot out of fear of over torqueing. so idk if its just that they arnt sealed properly because somtimes if im sitting in a parking lot with it surging and i just rev it up to the limiter it stops surging and idles normally. any help would be appreciated i replaced the iacv with one from a f22 because i read somewhere that it will work the same.
I had a surging idle and it was the high idle valve on the back side near the intake. Take two screws bolts out and get a flat head and screw it back in and it solved mine right away

·
Registered
8 Posts

The YouTube video that led me to my fix as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish but I already replaced both of the idle valves the one under the tb and the one in the intake
dang was hoping you had an easy one like me 😕 by chance were the valves new, and did you make sure it was screwed in all the way either way? I do know there’s a couple videos that go over multiple different causes for it and that’s how I found mine after trying carb cleaner near intake gaskets and stuff to check for leaks like ya did

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dang was hoping you had an easy one like me 😕 by chance were the valves new, and did you make sure it was screwed in all the way either way? I do know there’s a couple videos that go over multiple different causes for it and that’s how I found mine after trying carb cleaner near intake gaskets and stuff to check for leaks like ya did
Yeah they were both brand new I got the fast idle valve from summit and the electrical idle valve from Amazon I read that you could use one from an accord with a f22 since the ones for this car are either hard to find or super expensive rn, I think I’m gonna try using carb cleaner again but this time much more in depth and jack up my car I think I jsut didn’t tighten the bottom of the intake manifold gasket enough

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get yourself a torque wrench (buy, borrow, maybe even rent one?) and make sure you've got the manifold on correctly. Might not fix it, but at least you'll know that the manifold is installed correctly.

Torque wrenches aren't that expensive, either. I don't remember what torque is needed for the manifold, but here's links to two different ones (one is inch-lbs, other is ft-lbs), each at $44 with free shipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get yourself a torque wrench (buy, borrow, maybe even rent one?) and make sure you've got the manifold on correctly. Might not fix it, but at least you'll know that the manifold is installed correctly.

Torque wrenches aren't that expensive, either. I don't remember what torque is needed for the manifold, but here's links to two different ones (one is inch-lbs, other is ft-lbs), each at $44 with free shipping.
will do I plan on rebuilding the intake and replacing all the gaskets I jsut gotta find time to get it done yk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts