Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive completed my complete rebuild but I have a idle issue on a 88 SI. Today I started the car, Ran perfect, I got it to sit at its normal temp and idled at about 1K rpms(cant be completely sure about that, my gauge is off). I turned it off to tighten a hose and tried to restart it. It didnt want to start right away. It would turn over than stall out. The fourth try it fired and idled at 2500 rpms. I gave it a little gas after about 30 secs and it sat at about 3200 after a little rev. I shut it off after 5 secs cuz I didnt want to do any damage. NOw my guess is its a vacuum problem but I have checked the hoses and there are no breaks. Before I try the carb cleaner test I just want to ask if you guys have any other opinions to wat it would be?

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
It could be a vacuum leak causing a high idle or, as you stated, a vacuum line is crossed/leaking. Vacuum leak implies a gasket to the intake manifold, plenum, or throttle body is leaking air into the engine.

What did you do in the rebuild? Bearing, pistons, rings, gaskets?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be a vacuum leak causing a high idle or, as you stated, a vacuum line is crossed/leaking. Vacuum leak implies a gasket to the intake manifold, plenum, or throttle body is leaking air into the engine.

What did you do in the rebuild? Bearing, pistons, rings, gaskets?
Yup. The whole deal

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey guys, Ive completed my complete rebuild but I have a idle issue on a 88 SI. Today I started the car, Ran perfect, I got it to sit at its normal temp and idled at about 1K rpms(cant be completely sure about that, my gauge is off). I turned it off to tighten a hose and tried to restart it. It didnt want to start right away. It would turn over than stall out. The fourth try it fired and idled at 2500 rpms. I gave it a little gas after about 30 secs and it sat at about 3200 after a little rev. I shut it off after 5 secs cuz I didnt want to do any damage. NOw my guess is its a vacuum problem but I have checked the hoses and there are no breaks. Before I try the carb cleaner test I just want to ask if you guys have any other opinions to wat it would be?
I just fixed the same issue on my car.It was sitting at 2500 idle.What i did was,i took off the cap of the Fast idle valve by unscrewing the two phillips head screws,then when i looked inside i found a plastic ring which i tightened by hand untill finger tight,then i screwed the cap back on and the idle was now sitting at 700-750 right where it should.Try it,it worked for me.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
did you do the valve lash properly?
did you adjust the idle screw and ignition timing properly?
did you bleed the coolant completely?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the valve lash correctly. I didnt bleed the coolant cause I didnt no what that was until you said that. I referenced to a book and I didnt happen to see that in there. My cam timing to perfect but my distributor timing is not. I havent gotten to use a timing light on it yet because I didnt want to keep it running and damage anything...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I did the valve lash correctly. I didnt bleed the coolant cause I didnt no what that was until you said that. I referenced to a book and I didnt happen to see that in there. My cam timing to perfect but my distributor timing is not. I havent gotten to use a timing light on it yet because I didnt want to keep it running and damage anything...
Did you try my suggestion on the FIV?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not yet. Been to damn cold and rainy here. Maybe if its nice this weekend i will venture out to see what I can make of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts