Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo, so anyways I was advised in another thread to replace my iac rather than clean it, so ok thats what im gonna do unless someone can vouch for it being ok to just clean it.

So anyway that sucker is 200 dollars! On ebay, from autozone & the dealer too! It's defintiely one expensive little peice of junk that's for sure.

Most other cars are apparently 50 bucks or around that area. My car refuses to idle anymore so im gonna get the part or clean it asap, my question is for those of you who have actually replaced your iac... how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I feel kinda iffy about purchasing one for that much, and I'm on a tight budget so I don't wanna throw $$ away y'know?

Or if anyone knows where to get some for cheaper, that would work too.

Thanks dudes, and ladies!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe... my car runs retarded though and the idle bounces and certain RPMs, it jerks all over the place in 1st and 2nd (cruising thru parking lots are the worst) and finally today it got to the point where the rpm's flatline and the car stalls out completely when i get off the gas.

·
Registered
476 Posts
LudeNLascivious said:
Yo, so anyways I was advised in another thread to replace my iac rather than clean it, so ok thats what im gonna do unless someone can vouch for it being ok to just clean it.

So anyway that sucker is 200 dollars! On ebay, from autozone & the dealer too! It's defintiely one expensive little peice of junk that's for sure.

Most other cars are apparently 50 bucks or around that area. My car refuses to idle anymore so im gonna get the part or clean it asap, my question is for those of you who have actually replaced your iac... how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I feel kinda iffy about purchasing one for that much, and I'm on a tight budget so I don't wanna throw $$ away y'know?

Or if anyone knows where to get some for cheaper, that would work too.

Thanks dudes, and ladies!
Yeah dude, i bought one, its was about 200. Didnt fix the problem, good thing I could return it. What exactly is your car doing?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Lockdown said:
Yeah dude, i bought one, its was about 200. Didnt fix the problem, good thing I could return it. What exactly is your car doing?
When I crank the car up, the idle dosen't jump up like it's normally supposed to, even when it's cold. The RPM's will go about a quarter above 1, then drop down VERY low very fast, to the second thick line and of course it's running rough. Lately, mainly today, the car just stalls out completely and dosen't idle at all. Anyway, as I tap the gas pedal in N, the revs go up and as I reach a little under 1 1/2 RPM's it bounces, and after about 2 and a half it revs like normal...

When the car is running & moving, the transition from opening the throttle and letting off the gas isn't smooth, it's very distinct and sharp as opposed to smooth. In first if I try to cruise anywhere between 1 1/2 and 3 rpms, the car jerks back and forth violently, which IMO is the same thing making the idle bounce it's just that the car's in gear now so yeah... second still bounces but not as bad, then third fourth and fifth it gets better... which is why I've been running the car for so long (November the problem started).

Of course, the very first time it happened it threw a code so we hooked up the determinator ASAP and we got P1508 which is the idle air control valve

2.2L said:
i have a used one i could sell you....
That would actually be great, thanks a lot just PM me whatever you would think it's worth... it's hard for me to name a price on a peice that's seemingly already overpriced brand new to begin with... or if ya'll recommend me getting a brand new one no matter what, thats all gravy too

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well my idle bounces when its cold, but its not as bad as your problem. Possibly the tps, maybe run some seafoam, that stuff rocks. I'm gonna change my FITV ($71.74 majestic honda).

Hope its a cheap fix!!

·
Banned
5,085 Posts
If it's part number 36450-P13-004 I can do it for $180.00 plus exact shipping. I don't have one in stock right now but can get one in to ship out to you. I'll try to beat anybodys prices on new factory parts.

Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. This just happened to me. My AIC has be acting up a little big. Bouncing between 1 and 2 grand when cold. But after a while it usually settles down. One time a week or two ago its just died when I was pulling into a parking lot off of a highway Rt 31 in Flemington NJ (not a good place to die). Yet it started right up and ran fine so I figured meh whatever. Still been off an on since then. This past weekend I was actually going to replace it and I didn't because I was getting over a cold and just didnt feel like it. Well the Old girl must have been mad at the lack of attention... I'm sitting at a stop sign waiting for a scared co-worker to pull out into traffic when theres more than 1/4 mile in each direction of oncomming traffic. So I'm sitting there listening to my car go bbwWAAAAaaaooohhh bbbwWAAAAaaaaohhh (and screaming come the 'f on there not going to stop and let you out damnit!) as it revs up and down. Suddenly the Tach just starts jumping from like 800 to 1000 rpms going bwum-bwum-bwum-bwum-bwum and my CEL turns on. It idles like I had some vtec killers installed. So my cowardly coworker finally pulls out and I give her a little gas to move forward and nothing happens... Then I give her a little more and slammed on my brakes because it took the 'f off. I pull out into traffic and it kinda studders as it accelerates until about 3k then I shift into 2nd and the tach drops WAAAY down. Let me tell you its damn near impossible to drive on an 8lb flywheel with a bad AIC. Every time I let off the gas in anything but 5th gear it felt like i was slamming on the brakes. I had to heal toe to slow down and NOT get rear ended. I came home and started looking around online and Damn these things are expensive. I ordered one from autozone which was about $250 with tax. Advance auto has the part number ac336 online for this part and only wants $97 for it. That sounded to good to be true. So I did some searching for that part number from the manufacturer. I don't know what that part is... but is NOT an AIC It MAY be the fast idle control unit, but I'm not sure. I called Advance and asked them about it and said that isn't the part number THEY have for it at the store. They wanted over $300 for it. Still its a lot to pay for what I'm assuming is a vacuum controlled servo motor a spring and a two way controlled valve.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. This just happened to me. My AIC has be acting up a little big. Bouncing between 1 and 2 grand when cold. But after a while it usually settles down. One time a week or two ago its just died when I was pulling into a parking lot off of a highway Rt 31 in Flemington NJ (not a good place to die). Yet it started right up and ran fine so I figured meh whatever. Still been off an on since then. This past weekend I was actually going to replace it and I didn't because I was getting over a cold and just didnt feel like it. Well the Old girl must have been mad at the lack of attention... I'm sitting at a stop sign waiting for a scared co-worker to pull out into traffic when theres more than 1/4 mile in each direction of oncomming traffic. So I'm sitting there listening to my car go bbwWAAAAaaaooohhh bbbwWAAAAaaaaohhh (and screaming come the 'f on there not going to stop and let you out damnit!) as it revs up and down. Suddenly the Tach just starts jumping from like 800 to 1000 rpms going bwum-bwum-bwum-bwum-bwum and my CEL turns on. It idles like I had some vtec killers installed. So my cowardly coworker finally pulls out and I give her a little gas to move forward and nothing happens... Then I give her a little more and slammed on my brakes because it took the 'f off. I pull out into traffic and it kinda studders as it accelerates until about 3k then I shift into 2nd and the tach drops WAAAY down. Let me tell you its damn near impossible to drive on an 8lb flywheel with a bad AIC. Every time I let off the gas in anything but 5th gear it felt like i was slamming on the brakes. I had to heal toe to slow down and NOT get rear ended. I came home and started looking around online and Damn these things are expensive. I ordered one from autozone which was about $250 with tax. Advance auto has the part number ac336 online for this part and only wants $97 for it. That sounded to good to be true. So I did some searching for that part number from the manufacturer. I don't know what that part is... but is NOT an AIC It MAY be the fast idle control unit, but I'm not sure. I called Advance and asked them about it and said that isn't the part number THEY have for it at the store. They wanted over $300 for it. Still its a lot to pay for what I'm assuming is a vacuum controlled servo motor a spring and a two way controlled valve.

i wouldnt replace anything till youve done some tests sounds like a vac leak spray some brake cleaner see if you can find where it is.

·
Registered
402 Posts
On our cars a vacume leak can behave like an IAC problem and an IAC can seem like a vacume leak.
I would check for vacume leaks first cause thats much cheaper than replacing an IAC.
The IAC cleaning works aslong as the IAC isnt worn out.
Quite often we can pull our IACs off and find em loaded with crap but some times they are just plain worn out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
On our cars a vacume leak can behave like an IAC problem and an IAC can seem like a vacume leak.
I would check for vacume leaks first cause thats much cheaper than replacing an IAC.
The IAC cleaning works aslong as the IAC isnt worn out.
Quite often we can pull our IACs off and find em loaded with crap but some times they are just plain worn out.
I've had a vacuum leak in the past and it didn't throw a code 14. Its just idled poorly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ha ha well on some sound advice I decided to look for vacuum leaks. I found one. Actually the vacuum hose I put on when I put an Air filter in line with my PCV. It had a long crack on the underside. I fixed that. Reset my ECU, and started it up. She ran fine... So I disconnected the battery again and pulled the AICV just to give it a looksy. Wasn't all crudded up inside or anything. Still I sprayed some seafoam deep creep in it for good measure. Bolted everything back up and it runs fine... Went to autozone and told them to cancel my part order, and it had just came in lol. SO I had to do a return on it instead.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ha ha well on some sound advice I decided to look for vacuum leaks. I found one. Actually the vacuum hose I put on when I put an Air filter in line with my PCV. It had a long crack on the underside. I fixed that. Reset my ECU, and started it up. She ran fine... So I disconnected the battery again and pulled the AICV just to give it a looksy. Wasn't all crudded up inside or anything. Still I sprayed some seafoam deep creep in it for good measure. Bolted everything back up and it runs fine... Went to autozone and told them to cancel my part order, and it had just came in lol. SO I had to do a return on it instead.

I knew it. I had a code 14 even though it was a vac leak .

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well It looks like I will be looking to buy this part after all. It has completely gone to shit. Cant find a single vacuum leak. Tried cleaning it twice. Nothing is working now. I'm finding myself having to reset my ECU every day. Sometimes twice. Sometimes it will idle fine. Then just go to SHIT. Sometimes it will Be idling fine then the CEL will come on and the idle will bounce like crazy. Course now that its getting cold out. Anyone know a good place to get one at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
394 Posts
check out what happened to me one day, I was driving in third gear and I kicked it up to 4th, after driving on 4th for a while I decided to punch it and my revs were going up but my speed was going up slowly and not keeping up with the revs. I don't know if it could be something with the clutch or what da hell but it was really unusual. What do you guys think this might be? Any ideas would help. thanks guys. Peace

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
check out what happened to me one day, I was driving in third gear and I kicked it up to 4th, after driving on 4th for a while I decided to punch it and my revs were going up but my speed was going up slowly and not keeping up with the revs. I don't know if it could be something with the clutch or what da hell but it was really unusual. What do you guys think this might be? Any ideas would help. thanks guys. Peace
Sounds like a slipping clutch

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.