Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been sifting the forum, trying to see if other Honda IACVs will fit onto the PK3 head / intake manifolds. I have read that some folks got IACVs that had the wrong bolts hole locations. While searching eBay, it seemed like a lot of the 1992-96 Prelude IACVs had the same mounting pattern as the ones on the Si motors, with slight differences on the actuator plug location and the coolant inlet / outlet geometry.

May anyone here confirm? I think my IACV is going out; when cold and the engine under load, the acceleration shakes around, and then I'll hear a "pop" sound coming from the IACV along with a CEL, and smooth acceleration. I shut off the car and restart it, and the engine continues normal operation. Only happens after cold start.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have you checked to see what the trouble code is? Code #14 is for the IACV. Seems to me that I was able to use the IACV from a 90-93 Accord on a 91 Prelude SI. The 2.0SI uses the same valve as the 88-89 Accord LXi, though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Procedure-wise, would I be able to check for the CEL while the engine is running? I believe the process is jumping a connector on the passenger area, and then looking for the long and short blinks on the CEL light, on the dash, correct? Would the blinking work while my engine's running?, since the CEL turns off each time shut off the car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should also point out that the car's speed seems to cap at around 20-25mph, and I'm searching around the interweb and seeing that it could be the mass airflow sensor. Interesting...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I've been seeing a lot of those on the Bay. I guess these weren't previously available, as many people on the forums were saying the mounting holes were not lining up.

I'm starting to wondering if my MAP sensor might be the culprit instead, but $37 for a new IACV can't be beat. Good looking out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah buddy, mine went and the parts store here said 6 months and 300$ for a new one. So I cracked off a shot in the dark and this one worked for me.
Have about 30,000kms on it and it seems fine. responds normally to control through Hondata too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, I dont know much about all the problems with your car, but if your speed is limited by poor operating conditions and you think its, IACV / MAF related also do a good inspection of your
O2 sensor/s. Ive had them shit the bed before and nearly make the car undriveable.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Procedure-wise, would I be able to check for the CEL while the engine is running? I believe the process is jumping a connector on the passenger area, and then looking for the long and short blinks on the CEL light, on the dash, correct? Would the blinking work while my engine's running?, since the CEL turns off each time shut off the car.
Unless the backup power fuse for the radio/ECU is burned out or missing, the code will be stored in the control unit, regardless of whether the light is on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts