Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a prelude and my friend owns a 240 so of course we are always fighting about which is better. but the other day he threw out a comment about the ka24 having a timing CHAIN not belt... i didnt know what to say about that... so has anyone thought about making cams and crank made for a chain? it would mean never having to replace it. i think that would be awesome.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I believe the new K series engines all have timing chains. While it is true that the 70,000 to 100,000 mile replacement of the timing belt is a pain in the ass and very expensive, it's also not true that the timing chain doesn't develop problems as well. Those chains will have to be replaced (at least in a Honda) every 150,000 or 200,000 miles or so instead of half that amount. And a chain is always gonna be more expensive to replace than a rubber/kevlar timing belt.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know they stretch he said his was hitting the cover er somthing making an awful noise. he just took the cover off and its still working...well kinda he's a lazzy:canabis: and wont change his battery ternimals

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You would still want to replace seals and water pump at the required intervals so a chain would not be a great idea when they could just replace the belt at the same time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think that there is a reason a to why Honda chose to make their engines with belt instead of chain for so long. Although the honda K-series and the F20/22C are also chain driven. Either way I think that both the Prelude and the 240sx are great cars.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
isnt that ka24 a truck motor?
I think so... my friends 240 was a KA24 12valve SOHC more TQ than HP.. same as the 22re (more tq than hp) in the older celicas of the 80s also found in the older tacomas.. im not sure what nissans trucks are.. pathfinder? or is that an SUV lol?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the KA24E showed up in the trucks in 1990 (before that they were the 8-plug z20 and z24 motors).

the KA24E showed up the 240s in 1989. (so, technically, the KA24 is a car motor...since it was there first)

90-up hardbodys (thru 97) all got SOHC versions of the motor (KA24E), while the 91-up 240s got DOHC versions of it (KA24DE).

all the trucks got throttle body injection, while the 240s got MPFI.

in 98, the frontier got the DOHC motor, while the 240 got the axe.

t-belts break.....t-chains kill their tensioners....

either way, maintenance is still required.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
more tq than hp ftw. ka's can handle 500hp on stock internals 1000+ with a proper build and tune. the ka is from nissans small truck's 240sx, altima's, and stanza's. the pathfinders had a vg30 or a vg33, some with factory supercharger. the vg30 is also used the the 300zx and the highend model trucks. horsepower is useless without torque.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
more tq than hp ftw. ka's can handle 500hp on stock internals 1000+ with a proper build and tune. the ka is from nissans small truck's 240sx, altima's, and stanza's. the pathfinders had a vg30 or a vg33, some with factory supercharger. the vg30 is also used the the 300zx and the highend model trucks. horsepower is useless without torque.
Yeah ive read that the KA's were "bullet proof".

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Yeah ive read that the KA's were "bullet proof".
i'm not sure i'd go that far....

but i've beat the fuck out of the four i've owned.

nearly non-stop from statesville, north carolina to oklahoma city, oklahoma....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i had a ka and did a lotta research on it... it really can only hold up to 400 hp and the torque is great for racing... to say its a "truck" motor i hate cause you find it in the cars and its a very strong motor... now to compare the h22 to the ka24de (the twin cam motor) is a tough fight... the 240 and prelude run comparable times in the 1/8th from what ive seen... now with the ob1 ecu the h22 is easier to tune and parts more avalible for cheaper then the ka... but the ka can easily hold more power... i think they are two ends of what engines can be so to say either one is superior to the other is relative more then absolute

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
the honda wins hands down for aftermarket support. you can tune the ka using the factory ecu and a program/chip from nistune. most people swap in the sr20 which is really not any better than a ka. i would rather have a ka. honestly i don't know enough about honda motors to really judge, but i would take a turbo ka powered 240 over anything from honda turbo or not, including the nsx and s2000. i would just hate to gut one of those high end hondas.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
the honda wins hands down for aftermarket support. you can tune the ka using the factory ecu and a program/chip from nistune. most people swap in the sr20 which is really not any better than a ka. i would rather have a ka. honestly i don't know enough about honda motors to really judge, but i would take a turbo ka powered 240 over anything from honda turbo or not, including the nsx and s2000. i would just hate to gut one of those high end hondas.
well im a former altima2nr (lol) but i agree the sr20 is an overrated swap and cost to much that you could put back into the ka and make better numbers... the problem is finding a low milage ka in good condition (or at least for me it was) now yes id even rather have a turbo ka over some of the honda motors cause ive seen to many not reliable plus the ka takes more stock then most honda motors... they were just built tougher... what i was nismo for so long... but i just love how much easier honda is and i dont have the money for nissan right now... oh and i prefered jim wolfe over nistune... but thats just me

1 - 20 of 37 Posts