Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,i did a b20a swap and a 5 speed swap together and i was wondering if i was supposed to swap the icu.My check engine light,seat belt light(in the cluster) don't come on.Also i'm having an issue with idle and the engine is sputtering.If i slam the gas,it dies(sounds like its not getting gas)Everything was running fine on both cars before the swap,what do you guys think?Oh yeah,do i still need the extra box thats on the left side of the AT tranny ecu?Thanks in advance.

P.S. build thread with pics coming soon.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes you still need that but you dont need the auto tranny computer...are all of you ground wires on/good?
Yes,all grounds are good.I removed the box to the left of the ecu already(i also replaced the auto ecu with the manual ecu)I did keep the icu but my question is...should i swap the icu from the auto to the manual or does it even make a difference?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
hes asking about an ICU though..
whats the ICU?

is it that reddish box below where the deck goes?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hes asking about an ICU though..
whats the ICU?

is it that reddish box below where the deck goes?
Its behind the radio deck near the ground.ICU=Integrated control unit.

And this is the location:

So it doesn't make a difference to swap auto ecu with manual one or the icu?

·
OT HOMO
1,055 Posts
Its behind the radio deck near the ground.ICU=Integrated control unit.

And this is the location:

So it doesn't make a difference to swap auto ecu with manual one or the icu?
i dont know about the icu but the ecu it doesnt matter if you run a manual car with a auto ecu ive never swapped a ecu when ive done a auto to manual swap on any honda

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know about the icu but the ecu it doesnt matter if you run a manual car with a auto tranny ive never swapped a ecu when ive done a auto to manual swap on any honda
Cool man,thanks.I'll just pull out the cluster and make sure the bulbs are not blown on the lights that don't come on.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
lol, the icu that you speak of is not what you think it is. some people call the computer that controls the engine the icu, but most call it the ecu.
the icu that you speak of is actually the computer that controls the heater and a/c functions haha

as for the b20a running funky, did you use the manifolds from the motor that came out of your car? cuz you should have. also, it sounds like your vacuum lines are mixed up. it also sounds like you really badly need to do a valve lash adjustment, and an idle and ignition timing adjustment

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
lol, the icu that you speak of is not what you think it is. some people call the computer that controls the engine the icu, but most call it the ecu.
the icu that you speak of is actually the computer that controls the heater and a/c functions haha

as for the b20a running funky, did you use the manifolds from the motor that came out of your car? cuz you should have. also, it sounds like your vacuum lines are mixed up. it also sounds like you really badly need to do a valve lash adjustment, and an idle and ignition timing adjustment
in guessmans write up on the wire locations and such, he said its for automatic transmission something or rather..

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
in guessmans write up on the wire locations and such, he said its for automatic transmission something or rather..
i vaguely remember that yeah, and i may be mistaken. but im 90% sure thats the heater control unit lol. the tcu (transmission control unit) which looks like an ecu and is located to the left of the ecu on the same mounting plate; is the only thing that is tranny related, and is not needed after swapping to 5spd

·
OT HOMO
1,055 Posts
i vaguely remember that yeah, and i may be mistaken. but im 90% sure thats the heater control unit lol. the tcu (transmission control unit) which looks like an ecu and is located to the left of the ecu on the same mounting plate; is the only thing that is tranny related, and is not needed after swapping to 5spd
op knows that i said it ealier lol

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i was just looking at it yesterday, and it said its something for automatic transmissions.
mines red though, i dont remember what color the one in the picture was though.
and his is black.. maybe it is for the heater and a/c.
could they be the same thing, but different colors?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If I said that then I need to go back and change it but if I remember correctly, I know I said something like this:

It controls the entry light timer, Light on warning system, oil pressure warning system, Seat belt reminder, brake light circuit (if your brake lights burn out), wiper system, key-on warning (if you leave the key in the ignition), low fuel warning.

I hope that helps. :emthup:

Steve
Here's the thread that I said that in:
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275935&highlight=ICU

I guess I need to go back and look through that thread on the wiring and components again.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275353

Hey guys,i did a b20a swap and a 5 speed swap together and i was wondering if i was supposed to swap the icu.My check engine light,seat belt light(in the cluster) don't come on.Also i'm having an issue with idle and the engine is sputtering.If i slam the gas,it dies(sounds like its not getting gas)Everything was running fine on both cars before the swap,what do you guys think?Oh yeah,do i still need the extra box thats on the left side of the AT tranny ecu?Thanks in advance.

P.S. build thread with pics coming soon.
I think the reason why your gauge cluster is not working is because it's not plugged in correctly. It sounds like you don't have this connector plugged in:

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
and guessman swoops in and saves the day! yup, not heater and ac controller, all that other stuff lol. i knew it was something for inside electronics lol

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i kinda thought it was something different, cuz my transmission thing(whatever it is) is red.
i didnt see a black box in that location though..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I know its not the ecu,i just didn't know what the icu was for.I used the b21a1 IM,EM.Actually,i found the problem last night,it was the map sensor.I took the map sensor out of the other car and it worked but,now my idle is like 2500rpm cause of a vaccuum leak i would think.I'm going to check that after work today.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the reason why your gauge cluster is not working is because it's not plugged in correctly. It sounds like you don't have this connector plugged in:
Thanks bro,i'll check that when i get home.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
I know its not the ecu,i just didn't know what the icu was for.I used the b21a1 IM,EM.Actually,i found the problem last night,it was the map sensor.I took the map sensor out of the other car and it worked but,now my idle is like 2500rpm cause of a vaccuum leak i would think.I'm going to check that after work today.
yeah that was my first thought was the map sensor line being connected to the wrong port, or not connected at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah that was my first thought was the map sensor line being connected to the wrong port, or not connected at all.
It was connected and in the right port but the sensor itself was malfunctioning.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts