Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So at the scrap yard again and grabbed the IACV from two different '90 Preludes and realized they are different. (didn't notice the engine model number but i'll go back and get them)
One has a white cover on the potentiometer where the connector plugs in and the other has a black cover. No big deal until I took them apart.
Never noticed this before.
The one with the black cover has a rubber seal that is closed when the heat activated spring is cold/closed.
The one with the white cover has a needle and an actual seat that sits below the spring and the hex screw cover, that has a needle, (the hex screw cover) integral to it which brings the question, "how far in do I screw in the hex screw when I put it back together"?
It was all the way in when I disassembled it but that doesn't mean someone hasn't dicked with it before I got it trying to adjust it.
The one with the rubber seal was only screwed in two threads exposed, I.D., after it was screwed in.
The rubber seal is bad so it won't work unless I can find someone to rebuild it.

I tried one from E-Bay, (with their money back guarantee of satisfaction, they guarantee your're not satisfied and they keep your money) and after returning theirs twice because they kept sending me the wrong one I finally got NO IACV at all because they said "send mine and they'd match or rebuild mine" and they kept mine and stopped communicating on any level, and they got MY $56.

Cheers
nigel

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Are you asking about the EACV? Why are you adjusting that? There is a difference between the b20a5 and the b21a1 EACV.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I mean the Idle Air Control Valve, (I guess it could be called an EACV) that's bolted to the front of the intake with two 8mm bolts and has two small coolant hoses attached to it that sends a signal to the computer.
I do know that they don't need to be adjusted but the one does have a "needle and seat" set up inside instead of just a rubber seal that closes.
They both close off the air but with two different methods.
The needle and seat doesn't have a rubber seal to deteriorate.

Cheers
nigel

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
That is the EACV (Electronic Air Control Valve). I haven't seen one that you could adjust tbh. You mentioned in your first post that you were unsure which engine these were from. It would be best if you use one specific to your engine because there are differences.

You never mentioned why you are replacing yours.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Eacv

Thanks for getting me sorted on the real name of the valve.

My EACV isn't working 100% as it doesn't allow for the correct idle with the a/c on.

I know they are discontinued from Honda and after getting screwed by the
E-Bay guy I try to get parts that are available in the scrap yards for future use or for others.

I know the EACV's go bad and if they are cleaned they can be brought back to good working condition for awhile.
It seems the one with the "needle and seat" configuration would be best as there's no "rubber" seal to go bad, if it will work on my B20A and I assemble it correctly and set the "needle" right from cleaning.

Just wondering if anyone has the needle and seat kind and knows how far to turn in the hex screw/needle?

Cheers
nigel

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
The b20a5 has a wide bolt pattern for mounting and the b21a1 has a narrow bolt pattern. The b20a5 version is available new from aftermarket. Pricey like the oem Honda one though but it is brand new. Rockauto.com or amazon.com carry them and you won't get screwed. I can post part numbers if you want them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eacv

Nice, quick get back.
I happen to have them next to me while i'm watching the Supercross race and I didn't notice the bolt patterns.
Pretty bad for an aircraft / helicopter inspector.
One has the wide pattern and the other has the close pattern.
The wide pattern is the one with the "needle and seat" configuration and that would mean the other has the rubber seal.

Cheers
nigel

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Are you asking about the EACV? Why are you adjusting that? There is a difference between the b20a5 and the b21a1 EACV.
Mike I would thought you would of noticed this by now. The acronym EACV and IACV are synonymous. EACV (Electronic Air Control Valve) is over stated even if might be what the shop manual uses. It has wires going to it so it is electronic. IACV which is more commonly used on ebay, youtube, and I think most aftermarket parts (Intake Air Control Valve).

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Mike I would thought you would of noticed this by now. The acronym EACV and IACV are synonymous. EACV (Electronic Air Control Valve) is over stated even if might be what the shop manual uses. It has wires going to it so it is electronic. IACV which is more commonly used on ebay, youtube, and I think most aftermarket parts (Intake Air Control Valve).
I've seen it, and it bothers me. Which is why I posted the correction in the first place. Maybe I was just having a bad day that day. I don't care what they call it on ebay or youtube. The correct name for it is Electronic Air Control Valve, or EACV, so that's what I'll continue to call it. I'm also bothered by people calling our coil over shocks, struts, and correct people on that as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts