Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the wife was driving her down the street and it just cut out. No power, can't restart. Of course she had the radio blasting, so she never heard a "strange noise" or anything of the sort.

I get it towed home and when I try to turn it over it wants to turn over waaay too easy, but it never gets the initial kick.

Sounds like the timing belt popped on her, maybe some bent rods.

To the junk yard she shall go. *cries* I'll miss her.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Well you could probably get more if you parted it out. I doubt you bent any rods usually you get bent valves. Mine broke on me not too long ago and I just replaced the valves. And put it back together( I know it sounds easy, but its a bitch). Check to make sure it snapped and you could have gotten lucky and not bent any at all, we've had people on here get lucky.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I could pull it apart and have a look. It's a warm pittsburgh day, and I'm on vacation - sounds like a good use of time.

After all, if it is screwed up, and I decide to junk it, it's not like I have to put it back together. (the biggest bitch of all)

Here's to expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Bent valves is all that happens when you snap the timing belt.. Go get a head at the junk yard and revive it !
yeah, cuz those valves bend without hitting anything else.....

pistons never get hurt when t-belts break...
cylinder walls and combustion chambers always live, too....

if the motor was at low revs when it popped, a head might save you; but if the motor was spinning fast or the motion of the car rolled the motor a bunch after it popped, a head might be the first problem.

in any event, unless the car is a total basket case, someone on here would probably buy the rolling chassis from you for the right price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was going about 60 when it happened.

Not sure of low or high RPM, but it rolled down the road a bit before she could pull off on the shoulder.

I'll still check. Maybe post some pics of my findings.

Weird enough, it started raining after I said that I would rip it a part... tomorrow is another day.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like working on my cars when I am doing it because I want to. It is always a pain when you have to because you have to. Good luck.

What motor?? B20a3, a5 ??

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
She was going about 60 when it happened.

Not sure of low or high RPM, but it rolled down the road a bit before she could pull off on the shoulder.

I'll still check. Maybe post some pics of my findings.

Weird enough, it started raining after I said that I would rip it a part... tomorrow is another day.
^ Happens to me almost every time and usually on the weekend. I spent Christmas tearing my car apart so I could replace the injector seals. Good luck man :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'd love a second lude to mess around with.. mine is about done. If you could hold it until spring, I'd probably be able to scrape enough cash to give you at the very least what you would get for junking it. Only problem is I'm near cleveland. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks anyway.

Any major work will have to wait for awhile, if I decide to pursue it, because it's too cold to be working outside without a garage this time of year.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks anyway.

Any major work will have to wait for awhile, if I decide to pursue it, because it's too cold to be working outside without a garage this time of year.
Here in Spokane it has been too cold in a garage. I have a engine hanging from a hoist in my garage but it has been too cold to drop it in.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
b20 on b21 will bump comp. also

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
when i first read the thread title and scrolled over it is said my wife....i was like OMG!!! poor guy than i hear it was your lude and for a second of relief took a deep breath and realized there is a dead prelude among us....so sad....im just glad i was wrong and it wasnt your wife

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Don't send it to the junkyard to get stripped and crushed sell it to someone here so it can be saved!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile

1 - 19 of 19 Posts