Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got anuther lude its a 89 si automatic the main relay is fine i tested it out on other lude coil is also fine so is the ignighter i tested to see if i was getting spark from the single wire from the coil to the distrebter and no spark, also all fuse's are good motor turns over fine and unlike my 88 si when u turn the ignition to the on position normaly u here the fuel pump come on and the cel goes away this 89 is just not doing that... i need help :x for 300 bucs for a black si with 170,000 its a good deal :lol:

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I meant the spark plug wires. You can pull a wire from the spark plug hole. Then stick something metal and thick in. Lay it on the body of the car where the metal almost contacts. Then have someone crank it for a couple seconds. Watch and see if it sparks.

Better yet, get a spare spark plug. Plug it into the plug wire you pulled, then ground it to the car. Check it for spark while cranking.

Do not touch the spark plug wires while starting or operating. It is enough shock to kill.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
did you say in your first post that when you turn the key on you don't see the dash lights (brake, check engine, etc.) go away? If these lights don't light up or don't go away a few seconds after the key is in start/run position then it is and ecu problem. make sure you check the fuses on the passanger side under the hood.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if your coils are still good.. im gonna say bad plugs or something to do with the distributor

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What is the CEL/MIL code?

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
dont know im gonna try looking at the distrebtor today but do u think that would have any thing to do with the coil not fireing ????
Try looking at the CEL error code. It will provide info you need.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
If the CEL does not come on for two seconds and then go out(there'll be a click when it goes out, or should be at least), you have issues.
If it doesn't come on at all there is a fuse blown somewhere.

If it does not go off, either the ECU's grounds are disconnected (they bolt to the thermostat housing) or the main relay is toast.

If the light comes on for two seconds and goes out like it's supposed to but the fuel pump doesn't run, odds are excellent that the main relay is toast.

Generally you can fix the main relay by resoldering it, nice and easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If the CEL does not come on for two seconds and then go out(there'll be a click when it goes out, or should be at least), you have issues.
If it doesn't come on at all there is a fuse blown somewhere.

If it does not go off, either the ECU's grounds are disconnected (they bolt to the thermostat housing) or the main relay is toast.

If the light comes on for two seconds and goes out like it's supposed to but the fuel pump doesn't run, odds are excellent that the main relay is toast.

Generally you can fix the main relay by resoldering it, nice and easy.
ok im gonna look at the ECU grounds becuse today i changed out the distrebitor and still no luck i really think its a ecu ground problem...
thanks any more info on this whould be wounderfull
"update ecu grounds are FINE" and nothing same shit main relay is fine distrebtor is fine coil is fine ignighter is fine fuse's are good fuel pump is good same shit is ther any thing els i should look at ???? and still no answer on rather if the 5 speed 88 si ECU will work on auto 89 si

1 - 16 of 16 Posts