Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have a '91 Si 2.1 4ws. It's time to renew my registration, but first I need to pass emissions testing. On a car of this age, they just give you the old tailpipe test and check the gas cap. I have no trouble passing those, as my emissions are fine. The problem is, a car will fail if a the CEL is on. They automatically assume that it's an emissions issue. My light has come on because of an intermittent problem with my vehicle speed sensor. The car is running fine and the sensor is in a terrible position, so I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it... Is there any method to temporarily disable the CEL? Again, I'm not looking to get around emissions testing, as the car will pass just fine. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
remove the bulb? lol that's alot of work on it's own. better off just replacing your VSS or whatever actually needs to be done.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
How intermittent is the problem? Do you think you could clear the code and go through the test before it comes back?

You're right about the sensor being in a nasty spot. I'd be looking for alternate solutions too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How intermittent is the problem? Do you think you could clear the code and go through the test before it comes back?

You're right about the sensor being in a nasty spot. I'd be looking for alternate solutions too.
It throws the code almost immediately and the speedo isn't working too well, but it's a standard, so it doesn't affect the way the car idles or drives too much. How would I clear the code? Just take the negative battery lead off?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
That or I think you can just pull the clock fuse in the underhood box, which essentially does the same thing. But if your CEL comes back right away this really won't help.

Edit, I'm not sure if it's the clock fuse... but yeah disconnecting the battery for a bit should do the trick.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
if you pull the fuse leave it out for 30sec. to make sure there is no residual energy.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If the tester knows what they're doing, they'll check to make sure the CEL comes on with the key on to make sure that you didn't remove the bulb. Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Its not great or fun job but there are far worse. I would just pony up for a new vss while you can still buy them from honda and do it. AFAIK definetly the ebay ones won't fit without modification ie drilling the housing/rasping and I believe the ones on rockauto.com are the same way. They are actually made for another honda different years and are not the same. Like some think. NOT cheap from hondapartsnow.com but worth it.

NOw there are two ways to do this pull the whole mechanical assembly with the ps hoses atached. I one deep socket 12MM? Check my oddball tool thread. You need a 12" or longer extension. This is the safest way. Because you could attempt to just remove the electrical sensor. 2 bolts. But making sure you don't loose or improperly install the intermediate small brass shaft is not good. I mean it is like a grain of rice small. I pulled my whole assembly with ps hoses still connected and tied it up out the way when before pulling my transmission so it is doable. Might have to remove some crap out of the way first though. The single bolt facing the firewall from front bumper is at the front corner of the opening of the throttle body and straight down. Should be at 3 o'clock or directly right of the electrical sensor. Just hope you don't have to remove the output heater hose there at its base to get it back in. I have said for years that clamp is one of the biggest pitas on the whole car. The fricken rear waterpipe and that clamp is right against the mechanical speed sensor body at its base on the inner opposite side from passenger fender where you would be to get it loose.

oh fyi it is the clock fuse and the time is 10 seconds. Its plastered all over the factory shop manual. But I usually do 15 seconds and state atleast that here just to be on the safe side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts