Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may be a little retarded. I bought an intake manifold off of ebay and spent all this time porting and polishing it and getting the butterfly plate bored out. Then I read the thread about cleaning the EGR system out. This is where I realized that I may be retarded. I live in Northern VA and have to pass emissions every year. I can't put this intake manifold that does not have an EGR port on it in my car can I? I would not pass inspection or would I? Anybody want to trade me a cleaned and polished lower section of the intake manifold without an EGR for one with an EGR?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Grab another one out of the junkyard and slap it on for inspection, then put it in a shoebox and stash it in the garage for next year while you cruise with your ported and cleaned one.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Oppps sorry about the article..

You would definately fail your emissions test without a functioning EGR system.

In the 25/25 test the allowed NOx PPM is 1313

Before I cleared the ports, my car tested at 2294 PPM

After I cleared the ports , 743 PPM

Your JDM intake mainfold would be the same as a USDM manifold with blocked ports or an EGR valve not lifting. At least with the bad EGR valve you get a trouble code telling you about the problem. Blocked ports do not throw a code.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
It depends, do they do a visual inspection? Cause if so they will definately see that.

You could just get a b20a5 lower manifold and use the already ported b20a upper....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the one in the car now since this is one i bought off of ebay, but I don't want to spend 75$ on gaskets everytime I have to get the cars emissions imspected.

would the car throw a code if the egr system was gone or blocked anyway?

if I were to trade I would only need the lower section. I want to keep my butterfly valves and my polished TB. The lower runners are cleaned up as far as I could reach in with my die grinder (about as far as you can see)

·
Registered
639 Posts
88blueSI said:
I have the one in the car now since this is one i bought off of ebay, but I don't want to spend 75$ on gaskets everytime I have to get the cars emissions imspected.
new gaskets are not that expensive... it's maybe $20 for the entire manifold set and a tb gasket... besides, emissions are usually every two years... $10 a year isn't bad...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your vehicle is garaged in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford, or the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park, your vehicle must meet the emissions inspection requirements. Inspections are valid for two years and may be obtained by having your vehicle inspected by a certified emissions inspection station.
If your vehicle is being registered for the first time in Virginia and has a current valid emissions certificate (performed in the last 12 months) from one of the following states, it may be titled and registered without a Virginia emissions inspection:

You were right merlin. its 2 years.. OK... so is this thing going to throw codes at me continuously if I don't have the egr on ...

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
dano said:
Oppps sorry about the article..

You would definately fail your emissions test without a functioning EGR system.

In the 25/25 test the allowed NOx PPM is 1313

Before I cleared the ports, my car tested at 2294 PPM

After I cleared the ports , 743 PPM

Your JDM intake mainfold would be the same as a USDM manifold with blocked ports or an EGR valve not lifting. At least with the bad EGR valve you get a trouble code telling you about the problem. Blocked ports do not throw a code.
Just curious really.
What do they test for on emissions over there?
Is that figure xxx PPM for hydrocarbons or something else?
Just trying to get a comparison with our emissions tests.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
88SE Lude said:
Just curious really.
What do they test for on emissions over there?
Is that figure xxx PPM for hydrocarbons or something else?
Just trying to get a comparison with our emissions tests.
In Georgia they test for:

HC ppm ----- Hydrocarbons, like the soot on your rear bumper

CO % ------Carbon Monoxide,

NOx ppm -----Oxides of Nitrogen, overly hot combustion ( EGR system)

CO+CO2 % ---A combination of Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide

Gas Cap test

Presence of a catalytic converter

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Ah right.
Over here they test differently depending on age ansd if it should have a cat or not.

HC's, CO, CO2 .
What levels are you allowed
We have for 3G's 1200ppm HC's and IIRC 3% CO.
As an example my very environmetally unfriendly 3G tests at approx 200ppm HC and 0.3% CO.

Pretty damn good emissions really. As good as a lot of new cat equipped cars.

·
Registered
780 Posts
when i got my lude may 05, it "barely" passed tough emmision in Va.
one of the number was so "close" by like 0.01...
anyway, it passed and it will be good until may 07..

then i have to either do b20 swap or rebuilt b21..:turn:

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
88SE Lude said:
Ah right.
Over here they test differently depending on age ansd if it should have a cat or not.

HC's, CO, CO2 .
What levels are you allowed
We have for 3G's 1200ppm HC's and IIRC 3% CO.
As an example my very environmetally unfriendly 3G tests at approx 200ppm HC and 0.3% CO.

Pretty damn good emissions really. As good as a lot of new cat equipped cars.
There are two phases for our testing.. 25/25 and 50/15 (MPH I guess)

HC's allowed 181 (mine tested 76) .....................allowed 187 (mine tested 72)

CO allowed 1.16 (mine tested .39) .....................allowed 1.05 (mine tested .24)

CO+CO2 allowed 6.0min (mine tested 12.1) ..........allowed 6.0min (mine tested 11.6)

Of course the tests are tailored for specific cars more or less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts