Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime i drive the car it backfires when i give it gas
could this be bad spark plugs? or spark plug wires?

someone inferred that my timing could be messed up
i dont think that is the case

i have intake/header/exhaust if that helps any

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
its probably your exhaust, mine used to do that every once in a while when i had my old exhaust but i kind of miss it lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i thought this was bad for your car?
i dont even know what kind of exhaust it is i bought it with it on there
it has like a 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch muffler tip

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
like back fires all of the time or just like when you up shift some of the time?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Could be a couple of things...Is the backfire coming from the intake or the exhaust?...and when does it happen?...under daily driving...or when you are running through gears hard?

I get a backfire every now and then...either on a downshift or when I am running the gears...usually from 1st to 2nd gear.

I think a common cause of backfiring is the air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just backfires when i give it gas
so all the time

i cant pinpoint the sound of the backfire
i know it comes out of the back of the exhaust but it may sound like it originates from the intake

·
boosting in progress
169 Posts
i back fire some times to. never when giving it gas, always when i shift. i dont think its messed anything up in my car though. mine does that even with good spark pluges and wires. so i dont think that could be it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
try changing your plugs, its prolly just not burning the gas good enough when you floor it. my 93 used to backfire, changing the plugs out made it happen less frequent but didnt eliminate it.

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
same prob here. mine does it at high rpm's. changed the plug and still does it. checked timing and its right on. next thing will be getting new wires. dont know what to do after that.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
check your distributor and make sure its ok and check your timing it might need to be changed. My car was doing this when my distributor went out

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i bought an air/fuel ratio gauge
i heard that helps with an adjustable Fuel pressure regulator

i heard i can stop backfiring with it

any body do it before?

·
boosting in progress
169 Posts
check your distributor and make sure its ok and check your timing it might need to be changed. My car was doing this when my distributor went out
yea i was talking to this mechanic here at work and he said it might be the timing. i asked my dad he said the same thing

·
Registered
841 Posts
Mine does is when im shifting through the gears, normally under hard acceleration. Sometimes i'll get a small backfire when just driving normally. But I think it sounds cool, so it doesn't bother me. lol

·
Registered
592 Posts
o man this is nooo good... sounds like your engines about to go...

sell your car to me for cheap :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts