Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
GPS Enabled
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hypermiling : an introduction

Hypermiling is a term used in North America that refers to a set of techniques used to maximize fuel economy. Those who practice the techniques are referred to as "hypermilers." The term was originally coined by Wayne Gerdes, who is considered by the media to be one of the top hypermilers in the world,[1] and is known to hold the record for gas mileage in some common vehicles, including 30 miles per gallon (mpg) in an Acura MDX and 59 mpg in a Honda Accord.[2] In 2008, the word hypermiling was selected as the best new word of the year by New Oxford American Dictionary.[3]
Hypermiling, which can be practiced in any vehicle regardless of its fuel economy, has gained in popularity as a result of the rise in gasoline prices during the 2000s.[4] While common techniques can be carried out by average motorists making minor changes in their driving habits, some expert hypermilers use more advanced techniques, some of which may be illegal in some jurisdictions.[5]
NOTE: This introduction was taken directly from Wikipedia, heres the link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling

Hypermiling : and me

I have been trying some of these techniques ever since I first read about hypermiling earlier this year. I couldn’t believe that a guy could get 59mpg in a 2005 Accord. My 3g Prelude had been getting pretty poor gas mileage (15mpg on average) and I wanted that to change so I started following some of the simpler “rules” of hypermiling. Along with a few upgrades to my car (intake & header), I have started averaging 28mpg and a single-tank record of 31mpg. That’s about 80% city driving. I drive as part of my job and have the potential to put 2k+ miles/month on my car just for work, that doesn’t count commuting to/from work or personal driving. So obviously the better the mpgs the more money I save from my mileage checks every month.

Hypermiling : the basics

Coasting is a great way to preserve your gas. Depending on your location this may not work as well as for others but overall any time you can put your car in neutral and coast you will increase your mpgs. I coast up to stop lights, down hills, in traffic, pretty much wherever and whenever I can. This is the biggest part of my personal approach to better fuel economy. Also even if you’re not in neutral if you can keep your car moving just 5mph up to a light before it turns green, you can save up to 5% of your fuel according to the EPA. Simply put, a rolling start uses less power to get back up to speed.

Shutting off your car at stoplights is suggested to yield some positive results but only if you are going to be there for more than a minute. I don’t use this technique, but I may in the future.

Maintenance is always a good thing but when it comes to fuel economy it can be the biggest contributer. My g/f was getting 16mpg in her 2000 Accord (it had new plugs/wires/cap/rotor/oil/filter), I replaced her o2 sensors and immediately she started getting 24+mpg. Along with routine and preventative maintenance don’t forget tire pressure, wheel alignment and tire life. Keeping your car in top mechanical operation keeps you safe and your gas station visits to a minimum.

Traffic, it can kill your fuel economy but if you follow a couple of “rules” you can make it work for you. Go with the flow, don’t try to pass every person in front of you. Pick a lane and adapt to how it is moving, using coasting when possible. Steady speeds whenever possible will help immensely. The EPA says that speeding even 5mph over posted limits can have a huge impact on your fuel consumption. I personally disagree, you can speed as long as it’s a consistent speed and you don’t lead foot your way up to your preferred pace. Use steady acceleration instead of getting “up to speed” as quick as possible.

High rpms consume more fuel, period. Keep your rpms in a certain range for both acceleration and cruising. Personally I shift between 2500-3500rpms (situation dependant) and will cruise in 5th gear anytime I’m traveling at over 40mph.

This is wrong cause at high rpm it is easier to keep a constant speed then when you are at lower rpms. The engineering editior in SCC said this and it is true. Shifting to 5th at 40 mph is going to take more gas to keep that speed then if you were at 40 in 4th gear.
+1 to Honda-R, I started trying this and it works.

VTEC, depending on your engine, also consumes more fuel. Luckily since VTEC usually engages above a certain rpm, you can avoid using it by keeping revs low. In the case of some sohc VTECs, they are tuned to assist in better gas mileage but high revving will still hurt your efforts.

Hypermiling: upgrades and advanced techniques

Upgrades can be anything from a CAI up to body panel replacement or even an engine swap. Most intakes utilizing a K&N style filter will improve mpg just because it lets your engine breathe better and burn your fuel more effectively. Headers and exhaust systems can complete the breathing cycle allowing for overall better flow throughout your engine. Replacing body panels such as hoods, trunks, bumpers and fenders with lightweight materials like carbon fiber or fiberglass will help a little. Generally the cost of replacement panels greatly outweighs the fuel savings they will yield, but your car will most likely look really cool. The EPA claims that every 100lbs removed from your car can save up to 5% in gas consumption. Cleaning out your trunk and back seat is another alternative to weight reduction. If you really don’t care about comfort, noise, etc. you can remove all interior panels, insulation and extra seats (if you’re single). You could also take your fat ass to the gym, seriously if you’re overweight that will affect your mpg. Likewise carrying passengers will also decrease fuel efficiency.
Wheels are another good way to increase your mpg. Getting smaller, lighter wheels reduces both vehicle weight and the rotational mass of the wheel itself. The less your drive wheels weigh, the less power your engine uses to move them and the less momentum you need to keep the wheels rolling while coasting. You probably shouldn’t use any size wheel smaller than what came on your car from the factory (unless you have confirmed that it will fit and function properly). The flipside to this is getting bigger wheels will reduce your fuel efficiency and power transfer. Ironically, drag racers use this same principle to lower their ¼ mile times while grossly increasing their fuel consumption. I personally switched out my oem sawblades for Civic HX wheels, I estimate each wheel weighs about 5lbs less than my sawblades. You could also run a smaller profile tire therefore reducing the weight of the tires as well. I don’t recommend this only because it can affect handling and generally will cost more because you will more than likely be buying an odd or unpopular size tire.
Removing anything from the exterior of your car that both weighs it down and creates drag is considered an advanced technique, mostly because it is for the diehards and in some cases may be illegal. Other advanced techniques include always parking so that you don’t have to reverse out of the space when you leave, taking hard turns at high speeds in neutral and drafting (tailgating) 18 wheelers with your engine off.

So that is hypermiling in a nutshell. If you want to know more about it you can google the word hypermiling or the aforementioned Wayne Gerdes. I personally am not out to set a world record, just to drive as efficiently as I can to save money. I know there are others like me here as well as some who may want to try getting some insane mpg numbers for a Prelude. Just remember to be safe, drive within your limits and be conscious of your surroundings.

Here is a great article to check out about Wayne Gerdes that I found on google:

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/01/king_of_the_hypermilers.html

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah, I've seen this kinda thing before.

I love how these people boast about getting 100+MPG but they drive 45 on the freeway, inconveniencing everyone else.

DOUCHES! IMHO
I'm all for helping gas mileage, but there's a line to be crossed too

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yeah, and the california rolls at stop signs, no eye contact with other drivers cuz there too busy looking at the speedo keeping their speed inbetween 50-52 Mph. Drafting behind a semi isn't exactly "safe", nevermind turning your engine off! Plus there's that smug look they give you because there car gets 57.8 mpg. It's the exact same thing as racing. Hazards to the road if you ask me. If they want to "hypermile", do it on the track. Hypermiling isn't something that should be done on the street.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
gay. 9mpg from an o2 sensor gay. 13mpg with header and intake coughbullshitcough. if you are getting 15mpg from a car that is supposed to get around 30mpg a header and intake is not your problem. i get around 20mpg in my 3g i gauran damn tee that putting a header and intake on my car will not net me 13 mpg. if you are so concerned with fuel mileage that you would risk your life to draft a semi buy a fucking electric car dumbass. most body panel replacements are not meant for fuel mileage the are either for looks( the majority) or for downforce. in case you didn't know downforce adds weight to your car DEcreasing mileage. if you buy carbon fiber doors hood trunk and fenders to save weight it would take for fucking ever to break even on the costs of the panels in the minute mpg gains. driving slower, not passing, coasting, shutting off the car when you are going to be sitting are all commen sense ideas. end rant.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Personally, if you want to save gas so bad, just go buy a Husky or a few and tie it up to your car and have them pull you in neutral. Just make sure you have a whip attached to the throttle cable... But in all seriousness, most of those practices are rather dangerous. If your car is in neutral for example, ABS will not work, not to mention you dont have the engine to help you slow down the car in an emergency or in the exact opposite at a light where you might need to go in a flash. And drafting semis, is, rather self-explanatory. Just keep up on your car's usual replacements, dont buy cheap the cheap stuff and if something seems out of wack, check it out, no more, no less.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
That's more like advice on how to drive badly rather than to save fuel.
:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
365 Posts
lead foot for the win.

fuel economy for the loss.

nuff said :) ;)

·
GPS Enabled
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not trying to sell you assholes on the idea, just make people aware of it. You can call b/s on whatever you want, I know what I gained considering I watch my fuel consumption like a hawk. I am not an extremist. I coast WITH MY ENGINE RUNNING because I'm not a dumbass, I don't employ any advanced techniques except for the parking lot move and I certainly don't take 25mph corners at 50.
I find it ironic that 90% of the responses so far are from Newbs as well. When was the last time any of you wrote an essay? Did you cover topics you don't agree with? I hope so otherwise you just wrote a shitty paper. Just because I covered a topic doesn't mean I support it, it just means I showed you as many of the facts needed to explain the subject.
Honestly I agree with most of what you are saying, but some of you obviously didn't read the entire post. Case in point:

gay. 9mpg from an o2 sensor gay. 13mpg with header and intake coughbullshitcough. if you are getting 15mpg from a car that is supposed to get around 30mpg a header and intake is not your problem. i get around 20mpg in my 3g i gauran damn tee that putting a header and intake on my car will not net me 13 mpg. if you are so concerned with fuel mileage that you would risk your life to draft a semi buy a fucking electric car dumbass. most body panel replacements are not meant for fuel mileage the are either for looks( the majority) or for downforce. in case you didn't know downforce adds weight to your car DEcreasing mileage. if you buy carbon fiber doors hood trunk and fenders to save weight it would take for fucking ever to break even on the costs of the panels in the minute mpg gains. driving slower, not passing, coasting, shutting off the car when you are going to be sitting are all commen sense ideas. end rant.
If you read the part about body panels, I point out that the cost greatly outweighs the gains. Also you would be surprised at how many people don't know the "common sense" ideas behind driving. How is 9mpg from an o2 sensor gay? I gurantee that my Lude is in better mechanical condition than yours and yes, an intake & header HELPED net me better mpg. I never said that was all I did. 300cars, GFY.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm not trying to sell you assholes on the idea, just make people aware of it. You can call b/s on whatever you want, I know what I gained considering I watch my fuel consumption like a hawk. I am not an extremist. I coast WITH MY ENGINE RUNNING because I'm not a dumbass, I don't employ any advanced techniques except for the parking lot move and I certainly don't take 25mph corners at 50.
I find it ironic that 90% of the responses so far are from Newbs as well. When was the last time any of you wrote an essay? Did you cover topics you don't agree with? I hope so otherwise you just wrote a shitty paper. Just because I covered a topic doesn't mean I support it, it just means I showed you as many of the facts needed to explain the subject.
Honestly I agree with most of what you are saying, but some of you obviously didn't read the entire post. Case in point:

If you read the part about body panels, I point out that the cost greatly outweighs the gains. Also you would be surprised at how many people don't know the "common sense" ideas behind driving. How is 9mpg from an o2 sensor gay? I gurantee that my Lude is in better mechanical condition than yours and yes, an intake & header HELPED net me better mpg. I never said that was all I did. 300cars, GFY.
Just because I have less than 100 posts on an internet forum does not mean I don't know how to write an essay. What are you getting at? Being a "newb" has nothing to do with whether we are allowed to post our opinions about the thread YOU made. Maybe try growing up and stop taking things so personally. Oh, and the last "essay" I wrote?: a 30 page legal brief

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Hypermiling : and me

I have been trying some of these techniques ever since I first read about hypermiling earlier this year. I couldn’t believe that a guy could get 59mpg in a 2005 Accord. My 3g Prelude had been getting pretty poor gas mileage (15mpg on average) and I wanted that to change so I started following some of the simpler “rules” of hypermiling. Along with a few upgrades to my car (intake & header), I have started averaging 28mpg and a single-tank record of 31mpg. That’s about 80% city driving. I drive as part of my job and have the potential to put 2k+ miles/month on my car just for work, that doesn’t count commuting to/from work or personal driving. So obviously the better the mpgs the more money I save from my mileage checks every month.
wow....

28 mpg in a 3rd gen lude?

i'm so totally impressed with your driving skills!

oh...wait...

i regularly pull 28 mpg in my 200,000 mile chassis 91 lude with a smoking and rod knocking b20 from a 250,000 mile 88 lude. (tho, after a weekend of racing, it falls to about 25)

it has exactly three mods:

1) four wheel steering has been added to the chassis (from a 150,000 mile 88 lude)

2) 2" exhaust from the down pipe back with 1 glass pack muffler where the cat used to be.

3) 15" mugen cf-48s and nitto neo-gen tires.

no header, no intake, not even lowered.....

so, if you used to get 15 mpg, either you are/were a terrible driver, or your car is fuxord....

when you regularly see mid 30s someone might begin to care.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hypermiling : an introduction

High rpms consume more fuel, period. Keep your rpms in a certain range for both acceleration and cruising. Personally I shift between 2500-3500rpms (situation dependant) and will cruise in 5th gear anytime I’m traveling at over 40mph. VTEC, depending on your engine, also consumes more fuel. Luckily since VTEC usually engages above a certain rpm, you can avoid using it by keeping revs low. In the case of some sohc VTECs, they are tuned to assist in better gas mileage but high revving will still hurt your efforts.
This is wrong cause at high rpm it is easier to keep a constant speed then when you are at lower rpms. The engineering editior in SCC said this and it is true. Shifting to 5th at 40 mph is going to take more gas to keep that speed then if you were at 40 in 4th gear.

·
GPS Enabled
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
so, if you used to get 15 mpg, either you are/were a terrible driver, or your car is fuxord....

when you regularly see mid 30s someone might begin to care.
You just proved my point, by following some of the basic techniques I was able to correct many of my poor driving habits. I never said that my personal results were some astounding feat that no other driver can match, I simply used myself as an example of what can happen when you start to consciously make an offort to improve your fuel economy. No matter how you slice it, I am saving myself money and thats what counts.

How about instead of picking every little thing I say apart, you guys post some of your own techniques to improve gas mileage? Obviously many of you are more advanced at it than I am, so lets hear what you've got.

·
Registered
763 Posts
if you're concerned about gas milage in a Prelude, you bought the wrong car.
Preludes are about spirited driving, VTEC and enjoying on of the best FWD cars made in the last decade.

If that doesn't apply to you, go get a Civic or a Yaris.

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
if you're concerned about gas milage in a Prelude, you bought the wrong car.
Preludes are about spirited driving, VTEC and enjoying on of the best FWD cars made in the last decade.

If that doesn't apply to you, go get a Civic or a Yaris.
Not every prelude has V-tec. Also his car was made 20 years ago. But you are correct about the gas milage and wrong car aspect.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
ok gay was the wrong word. i am new to the honda scene but i have been in the z scene for quite some time now. i have had 25 cars including a caddilac, toyoa supra tt, rx7 tt, an astrovan, an explorer, 5 z's, a celica, a couple mx3's, a fifth avenue etc etc etc. i have driven each one different. the best mileage by far was the mx3 i averaged 45mpg city. worst was the astrovan at 9mpg. i drive in the city about 120-200 miles a day 5 days a week. the first thing i do when i get a new car is give it a good tune up. i have tried many things to get my mpg higher the best thing i have done is keeping your speed constant. avoid redlights and stop signs. and keep your foot out of it. your tune will help the most. there are 450hp z's getting 30mpg there are also 450hp z's getting 12mpg. i will admit some little things can really affect your mileage. i find it hard to believe that an intake and header yeilded 13mpg. 1-5mpg MAYBE. you could get hondata and lean it out and get better mileage if you really wanted to. a 2 door sporty car is not the car for you if you want high mpg. get a toyota corrolla diesel they get 56+mpg.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Cool lets all tell him hes a dumbass... OR you could just shut up and move on... There ARE people that pass through that DON'T know this stuff. Maybe he should put a little disclaimer at the top that says something to the effect of: "For those who do not know..." or maybe that's just UNDERSTOOD.

·
Registered
581 Posts
ive heard of this, anyone seen the vid on youtube of the guy hypermiling a honda insight? avg'd 104.x mpg from indiana to wisconsin but it took him somethin like 4 or 5 hrs to get there.

i do some of that stuff anyway, coasting down hills and to redlights. i even tried shuttin my engine off while going down a hill then clutch poppin it at the bottom. pretty cool but id be worried about wear on the plugs and starter from excessive stopping and starting if i did it all the time. ive owned the car for 2 years and have gotten ~26mpg on a trip home from college, once i got 30 but i think that was a fluke.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts