Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone been through similar? Long story short the long tube AEM intake sucked up water and hydrolocked my lude. Water in the cylinders and oil so got it out and new oil. Now a lot of tapping/knocking but did fire up. #1 cylinder was only 90psi with the rest being 150. Doesn't seem like a lot of rebuild parts out there anymore unless you want to build up so not even sure where to begin but will probably try to rebuild. This sucks

·
Registered
1999 Prelude. F20B/K20A hybrid rebuild
175 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened, but you would be surprised that there’s still a lot of suppliers for oem rebuild parts even a lot of stuff can still be bought new from Honda.
Before buying anything you definitely need to take it apart and inspect, you need to see what exactly all got bent or damaged from the water. Sometimes it could only be the rod sometimes it’s the rod, piston, and also sometime the cylinder walls could be damaged. Not to mention the crankshaft could be scarred now aswell. I would just recommend taking it apart and inspecting the rotating assembly(pistons, rods, crankshaft). The damage has been done so that’s about all you can do. I just fully rebuilt my motor and there’s still tons of support for parts. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I need to get it here so I can inspect it better. Figure I have a plastic rod to put in the plug hole to see if the rod is bent or not. To me it sounds more like valve noise so maybe I can get by with some head work. Course I'd replace the bearings and rings while I was at it if I tear it down that much. I do have a dial bore guage to check the cylinders.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Friend of mine bought a Parts Basket H22 back in the day. 2 bent rods from hydrolock, and the rods hit the bottom of the cylinders. This pushed up material into the bore that scored the bottom of the piston skirts, which dug scratches in the bores. Whole thing needed a re-sleeving/rods/pistons/rings.

If you can, find a legitimate "Type-S" Prelude long block (ATTS compatible) and swap the whole thing. It'd be less down time than trying to dig up all the parts and have it remachined/assembled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts