Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been helping a friend of mine out on his 5th gen 2001 honda prelude sh and he's been having trouble with rough shifts and eventually it would not go into gear whatsoever. He then proceeded to replace the master and slave cylinders. The problem still persists. The lines will not keep pressure as if there is a leak of somekind however upon inspection of every joint and kink possible there is no sign of leakage. After bleeding about a thousand times after going down the road about a mile the clutch just gives out and sinks to the floor. Replacing all of the lines will cost upwards of $188.60 and we are trying to avoid spending money on something that will not fix the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Might want to take it to a shop and pressure bleed it. Jdmtyperaccord had this problem so he took it to kenny at jotech and ahd him pressure bleed it. It helped. Thats the best way to bleed it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
What I did for my 5 speed swap was get a hose custom fabricated to go directly from the master to slave cylinder. The steel braided hose with the fittings on the ends cost me $60 from Earl's performance plumbing. Works like a charm and I dont have to worry about leaks in places I cant see :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Had same problem with my 3rd gen, I would only use the clutch for getting it into 1st gear real quick, and then rev-matched (tried to.. :burn: ) the rest of my shifts.

If you lift the pedal back up with ur toes do you regain pressure or are you straight up dumping all the fluid? I'd think the latter there would be obvious.
Also, is it leaking only when you use it, so if you let it sit for 5-10 minutes does it still have pressure?

Let us know,
In either case, I changed my slave cylinder unnecessarily,however after another day of frustration realized it was the master-slave line leaking at the slave cylinder end. Never would have been able to tell on the old cylinder.
It only takes a slight amount of fluid loss for the pedal to stay on the floor, I went through half a big bottle of brake fluid till i finally noticed some fluid leaked on the new slave cylinder

·
Registered
881 Posts
Is the fluid level going down also? when the pedal sinks can you visually verify that the shift fork stops moving also? Get pedal pressure back and hold the pedal to the floor while your friend watches the shift fork...does is slowly move back as the pedal pressure decreases? you can pick up a hand vacuum pump to bleed with for about 50$ at most auto stores.

·
Registered
310 Posts
hey guys its actually my car were workin... when it first started doing it i just noticed the clutch not totally engaging. then eventually it just started losing the pressure, im gonna try to answer all these questions but i might miss some... after i put the new master and slave in it it would build up pressure good then as you were driving it would lose pretty fast, it would also lose pressure if you just let it set, cant really notice and movement in the reservoir.... i just feel like its somewhere in the line i cant find so im looking everywhere around to make me a steel braided hose and everyone says they wont do it for me...Im just like WTF, so just post back, thanks guys

·
Registered
417 Posts
All you just did there is restate everything thats already been said...

In any case, if you're losing fluid, it's not just disappearing.
I would park the car on a clean surface, hell, park it on top of a big piece of cardboard or paper if you want.
And just simply keep pressure on the clutch till it loses all/a lot/enough fluid to pinpoint a rough location to where your leak is coming from, upon your clean surface.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Syncros might be shot. Change fluid to GM syncro mesh.....Works really good for shifting problems.

·
Registered
881 Posts
So are you having to ADD fluid when it starts loosing pressure, like you lose pressure when the resevoir runs dry? Have you check inside the car at the clutch pedal to see if its leaking at the clutch master cyl shaft?

·
Registered
310 Posts
sorry about restatin...damn, tried to answer some questions, and there are no visible leaks its been parked for like 2 weeks no drops anywhere and no you dont have to keep filling the reservoir, it doesnt go down any but loses all pressure, and there are no leaks at the master or slave arms, i just put new ones on about 2 weeks ago and just checked again last night to see if they were leaking, everythings good....last night i ordered the fittings to make a full steel braided line so im hopin this will fix it, ill post back after i get it all on

·
prince of darkness
210 Posts
sorry about restatin...damn, tried to answer some questions, and there are no visible leaks its been parked for like 2 weeks no drops anywhere and no you dont have to keep filling the reservoir, it doesnt go down any but loses all pressure, and there are no leaks at the master or slave arms, i just put new ones on about 2 weeks ago and just checked again last night to see if they were leaking, everythings good....last night i ordered the fittings to make a full steel braided line so im hopin this will fix it, ill post back after i get it all on
Hey I am having the EXACT same problem!!! I havnt pressure bled it yet tho, and havnt tried new fluid lines. A couple of mechanics are tellin me Im gonna need a clutch job. Let me know if those SS lines fix the prob. Im tryin everything before i have to put all the $$ in a new clutch lol

·
Registered
881 Posts
If the resevoir isnt losing and fluid than you dont have a leak. Theres air trapped somewhere or your new master/slave is bad.

·
Registered
310 Posts
amen to the tryin to avoid a clutch job, haha... thats why im spendin the 80 bucks on makin this line so i know its all good.... im pretty much 99.9% sure there is no air, i have seriously bled for hours a couple diff ways, and i know the master and slave is good cuz i rigged up a little bench bleed system with a pressure gage on it and they are puttin out plenty... my fittings come in tm so just prayin this is gonna do it, and if anyone wants to make a line let me know ill give ya the parts list and save ya some research time cuz its a biatch and a half to find.... say a lil prayer that my lil blue lude will get out of the garage tm night :huh:

·
prince of darkness
210 Posts
amen to the tryin to avoid a clutch job, haha... thats why im spendin the 80 bucks on makin this line so i know its all good.... im pretty much 99.9% sure there is no air, i have seriously bled for hours a couple diff ways, and i know the master and slave is good cuz i rigged up a little bench bleed system with a pressure gage on it and they are puttin out plenty... my fittings come in tm so just prayin this is gonna do it, and if anyone wants to make a line let me know ill give ya the parts list and save ya some research time cuz its a biatch and a half to find.... say a lil prayer that my lil blue lude will get out of the garage tm night :huh:
well did you get it fixed last nite?

·
Registered
310 Posts
ups messed up, its all comin in tm, ill take some pics of everything and get it on here probly by sat sometime peace out guys

·
Registered
310 Posts
ok guys... so i got my new ss line on which is great... the system bled up very fast compared to the stock line... took off down the road and its great, about ten minutes later it starts gettin slushy again i eventually lost everything, bled it again and there was excessive air in the lines, take off and its great again and eventually gets air in the lines again, what is causing this, is my new master bad????? plz help i cant take drivin my damn back up chevy much longer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts