Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Husband decided to wash engine and now it shuts off within a minute or hesitates when trying to accelerate if it does happen to stay on.

·
Registered
1993 Prelude Si VTEC
120 Posts
Husband decided to wash engine and now it shuts off within a minute or hesitates when trying to accelerate if it does happen to stay on.
Check the spark plug cover and wires on the head....I wash my engine Bay/engine a lot and sometimes water would go down under the spark plug cover and onto the top of spark plug and wire/boot both were totally submerged. Spark doesnt like water lol.

Pull the Spark plug cover and look down into the holes with flashlight and see if it has water in there. If so take a vacuum and suck it out. DO NOT PULL spark plugs until you are positive there is no water in there. You dont want water getting into the cylinder. Honestly dont even need to pull them out just make its dry down there.

Ive had this happen twice, I thought it was my headgasket but it was regular water not anti freeze and I finally realized what I was doing.
Now I cover the valve cover when I wash and no issues since.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
795 Posts
Never happened to my 'lude, but my '03 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ has had this happen....and sure enough the spark plugs had gotten wet.

Reactions: EVILBIRD

·
Registered
1986 Honda Prelude 1.8L
11 Posts
I really want/need to wash my engine bay, but then I read posts like this. One of these days I'll break down and do it. Hopefully I'll have good luck.

AJG2021, were you able to get it running again?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts