Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
big oil pump leak... I know I should have done it better but i will describe the problem for a easier fix maybe...

OK, so i rebuilt my d15b2 (new pistons rods and bearings) put it all together and dropped it in got everything hooked up started it found coolant leaks fixed them started it shut it off put on the exhaust and then started it... it sounded amazing... started the first crank everytime but the first (kinda weird for my car) and this time i let it run for about 15 minutes and then oil just started dumping from the pump like 2 quarts in 30 seconds I shut it off quickly..

i know what your saying why, well i fucked up a little bit putting it on, i snapped 1 bolt and thought it would be ok sense its a pretty solid aluminum casting so i didnt fix it

so after that i got a helicoil and put that in, and before that i put as much high temp sealant as i could in there blowing it in with a air chuck, put the bolt in and tightened it (24 hour dry time) up tonight im planning on seeing if that worked, if not i was wondering if there is any way to do it without pulling the crank pulley and everything

it only leaks with the engine on, i thought i better add that

my little cam gear on the crank is extremely had to get off!

thanks a lot

-jake

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if it helps any it was only leaking where the bolt was missing and i put a new seal on it and in my haynes manual it said to use high temp gasket sealer as the sealant (thats what i took off when i took it appart too) i guess they dont make a solid gasket

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sounds like it is time for a "do over".
Remove the oil pump. clean and inspect.
remove all traces of old sealant.
use only a small bead (1/8) sealant around the perimeter
replace oil pump torque to spec.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If I remember correctly the oil pump housing is made of cast aluminum so you should probably check that for cracks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took it all appart the o-ring that i reused blew appart, for future reference of this DO NOT REUSE THE O-RING!! put it together with a new o-ring and it runs great now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts