Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well alot of ppl have been asking how to take the fronts and rear spring/struts out
so im just posting up what i get from Alldata.
hope this helps

this is for the Base Models

Without ATTSTOOL REQUIRED

• 07MAC-SL00200 Ball Joint Remover, 28 mm
  • Strut Spring Compressor
REMOVAL

1. Install a 14 mm hex nut on the ball joint. Be sure that the hex nut is flush with the ball joint pin end, or the threaded section of the ball joint pin might be damaged by the ball joint remover.
  2. Use the ball joint remover to separate the ball joint and lower arm. NOTE: If necessary, apply penetrating type lubricant to loosen the ball joint.
  3. Remove the flange bolt.

1. Remove the flange bolt and self-locking nut, then remove the damper fork.

1. Remove the damper by removing the three flange nuts.
DISASSEMBLE

1. Compress the damper spring with the spring compressor according to the manufacturer's instructions, then remove the self-locking nut. CAUTION: Do not compress the spring more than necessary to remove the nut.
  2. Release the pressure from the spring compressor.
ASSEMBLE

1. Install the damper unit on a spring compressor.

1. Align the bottom of damper spring and spring lower seat as shown.

1. Position the damper mounting base on the damper unit as shown.
  2. Compress the damper spring with the spring compressor.
  3. Install the damper mounting washer, then loosely install a new self-locking nut.

1. Hold the damper shaft with a hex wrench, and tighten the self-locking nut.
INSTALLATION

1. Loosely install the damper on the frame with the aligning tab facing inside, then loosely install the three flange nuts.
  2. Install the damper fork over the driveshaft and onto the lower arm. Install the damper in the damper fork so the aligning tab is aligned with the slot in the damper fork.
  3. Hand-tighten the bolts and nuts.

1. Raise the knuckle with a floor jack until the vehicle just lifts off the safety stand. NOTE: The bolts and nuts should be tightened with the vehicle's weight on the damper. The floor jack must be securely positioned or personal injury may result.

CAUTION: Torque the castle nut to the lower torque specification, then tighten it only far enough to align the slot with the pin hole. Do not align the nut by loosening.

1. Tighten the flange bolt.
  2. Tighten the flange bolt with a new self-locking nut.
  3. Tighten the three damper flange nuts.
  4. Check the front wheel alignment, and adjust if necessary.

Rears
Without ATTSTOOL REQUIRED

REMOVAL

1. Jack up the rear of vehicle, and support it on safety stands in proper locations.
  2. Remove the rear wheel.
  3. Lower the rear seat-back, and remove the trunk side trim.

1. Remove the two nuts.
  2. Remove the cotter pin and the upper ball joint nut.
  3. Install a 10 mm hex nut on the ball joint. Be sure that the hex nut is flush with the ball joint pin end, or the threaded section of the ball joint pin might be damaged by the ball joint remover.

1. Use the ball join remover to separate the ball joint and knuckle. NOTE: If necessary, apply penetrating type lubricant to loosen the hair joint.
  2. Remove the damper mounting bolt.

1. Lower the rear suspension, and remove the damper assembly.
DISASSEMBLE

1. Compress the damper spring with the spring compressor according to the manufacturer's instructions, then remove the self-locking nut. CAUTION: Do not compress the spring more than necessary to remove the nut.
  2. Remove the damper from the spring compressor.
ASSEMBLE

2. Align the bottom of damper spring and spring lower seat as shown.
  3. Compress the damper spring.
  4. Install the damper mounting washer and a new self-locking nut.

1. Hold the damper shaft and tighten the self-locking nut.
INSTALLATION

1. Lower the rear suspension, and set the damper assembly in place.

1. Connect the damper assembly and the lower arm, then loosely install the damper mounting bolt. NOTE:
    • The damper mounting bolts should be tightened with the damper under vehicle load.
    • Do not interchange the right and left dampers.

1. Tighten the damper mounting nuts.

1. Connect the upper arm and knuckle, then tighten the castle nut.
  2. Raise the rear suspension with a floor jack until the weight of the vehicle is on the damper.

1. Tighten the damper mounting bolt.
  2. Install the trunk side trim.
  3. Check the rear wheel alignment and adjust if necessary.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FOR SH MODELS
With ATTSTOOL REQUIRED

REMOVAL

1. Remove the cotter pin and radius rod ball joint nut.
  2. Install a 14 mm hex nut on the ball joint. Be sure that the hex nut is flush with the ball joint pin end, or the threaded section of the ball joint pin might be damaged by the ball joint remover.
  3. Use the ball joint remover to separate the ball joint and lower arm. NOTE: If necessary, apply penetrating type lubricant to loosen the ball joint.
  4. Remove the flange bolt.

1. Remove the flange bolt and self-locking nut, then remove the damper fork.

1. Remove the damper by removing the three flange nuts.
DISASSEMBLE

2. Release the pressure from the spring compressor.
ASSEMBLE

1. Align the bottom of damper spring and spring lower seat as shown.

1. Position the damper mounting base on the damper unit as shown.
  2. Compress the damper spring with the spring compressor.
  3. Install the damper mounting washer, then loosely install a new self-locking nut.

1. Hold the damper shaft with a hex wrench, and tighten the self-locking nut.
INSTALLATION

1. Loosely install the damper on the frame with the aligning tab facing inside, then loosely install the three flange nuts.
  2. Install the damper fork over the driveshaft and onto the lower arm. Install the damper in the damper fork so the aligning tab is aligned with the slot in the damper fork.
  3. Hand-tighten the bolts and nuts.

1. Raise the knuckle with a floor jack until the vehicle just lifts off the safety stand. NOTE: The bolts and nuts should be tightened with the vehicle's weight on the damper. The floor jack must be securely positioned or personal injury may result.

1. Install the knuckle on the radius rod, then tighten the castle nut and install the new cotter pin. CAUTION: Torque the castle nut to the lower torque specification, then tighten it only far enough to align the slot with the pin hole. Do not align the nut by loosening.
  2. Tighten the flange bolt.
  3. Tighten the flange bolt with a new self-locking nut.
  4. Tighten the three damper flange nuts.
  5. Check the front wheel alignment, and adjust if necessary. NOTE: Make sure the front wheels are in the straight ahead position (mechanical neutral) after the wheel alignment, then let the ATTS control unit memorize the neutral position.

REARS
With ATTSTOOL REQUIRED

REMOVAL

1. Jack up the rear of vehicle, and support it on safety stands in proper locations.
  2. Remove the rear wheel.
  3. Lower the rear seat-back, and remove the trunk side trim.

1. Remove the two nuts.
  2. Remove the cotter pin and the upper ball joint nut.
  3. Install a 10 mm hex nut on the ball joint. Be sure that the hex nut is flush with the ball joint pin end, or the threaded section of the ball joint pin might be damaged by the ball joint remover.

1. Use the ball join remover to separate the ball joint and knuckle. NOTE: If necessary, apply penetrating type lubricant to loosen the hair joint.
  2. Remove the damper mounting bolt.

1. Lower the rear suspension, and remove the damper assembly.
DISASSEMBLE

1. Compress the damper spring with the spring compressor then remove the self-locking nut. CAUTION: Do not compress the spring more than necessary to remove the nut.
  2. Remove the damper from the spring compressor.
ASSEMBLE

2. Align the bottom of damper spring and spring lower seat as shown.
  3. Compress the damper spring.
  4. Install the damper mounting washer and a new self-locking nut.

1. Hold the damper shaft and tighten the self-locking nut.
INSTALLATION

1. Lower the rear suspension, and set the damper assembly in place.

1. Connect the damper assembly and the lower arm, then loosely install the damper mounting bolt. NOTE:
    • The damper mounting bolts should be tightened with the damper under vehicle load.
    • Do not interchange the right and left dampers.

1. Tighten the damper mounting nuts.

1. Connect the upper arm and knuckle, then tighten the castle nut.
  2. Raise the rear suspension with a floor jack until the weight of the vehicle is on the damper.

1. Tighten the damper mounting bolt.
  2. Install the trunk side trim.
  3. Check the rear wheel alignment and adjust if necessary. NOTE: For vehicles equipped with ATTS, make sure the front wheels are in the straight ahead position (mechanical neutral) after the wheel alignment, then let the ATTS control unit memorize the neutral position.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
hmm, the pictures aren't working for me. But it does look like a well constructed how to.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG why didn't you have this shit when we were doing my car?!?! bastard!

lol tats b/c i didnt need it,lol
we only got stuck cuz tat bolt was on backwards and we didnt have the right tools :(

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
ho.

lee.

shit.

srsly?

i just kinda skimmed it....any reason why there is an ATTS version and a nonATTS version? the pics looked the same...the parts look the same.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ho.

lee.

shit.

srsly?

i just kinda skimmed it....any reason why there is an ATTS version and a nonATTS version? the pics looked the same...the parts look the same.

the front suspension of the SH is slightly different than the base, the SH the LCA(radius rob) bar is a placed different, the front sub frames different
requires more work,lol

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can we make this into a sticky?
cuz ppl are still asking me about this,lol

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
FYI - You DO NOT HAVE TO disconnect the lower control arm from the lower balljoint to replace the shocks (base or SH).

·
Registered
759 Posts
stomp on the hub until the shit just comes out. lol. it's not pretty and takes like 3 ppl to do it effectively. can work with 2 but it's a lot of stomping.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
can you explain more about it?
have some one stand on brake caliper to lower the spindle while you remove the shock fork while the top of the shock is still bolted.
works everytime. last week i didnt have a lovely assistant as i usually do so i just wedged my jack stick at the top of the upper control arm and held the assembly down myself. a bit tough and awkward but not impossible in any way.:headbang:

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYI - You DO NOT HAVE TO disconnect the lower control arm from the lower balljoint to replace the shocks (base or SH).

lol
i know
thats wat i got from ALLDATA
this is for noobs
i've been doing this for a while i think i know wat u have to take off and wat u dont need to take off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts