Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How To Search For Newbies

I am hoping that with this thread, I will be able to show people how to use the search function more efficiently with greater accuracy and results. The search function is one of THE most powerful tools on this site, yet it is the most under utilized. I have not found a reason for this (perhaps laziness, or the confusion of using the specific search functions), but I hope with this guide that we can all become better searchers. :lol:

The search feature can be found in the menu to the right of the many random Prelude pictures - here is a link for the lazy: http://preludepower.com/forums/search.php

Now let's try an example search. For your first search, enter "h22a mounts" into the Keywords field, and leave other options defaulted. Click on the Search button. You will come up with several hundred matchs - I came up with over 500 threads. Now honestly - who wants to dig through 12 pages of POSSIBLE matches? I don't.

So now we go to our second example: the AND query. This is possibly the next best thing since sliced bread. Let's use our previous search example, however let's alter it this way: "h22a AND mounts". Your search should come up with under 50 threads now. These threads will contain both h22a and mounts in the thread, limiting your search down quite a bit.

Our third example will allow you to flex the search, in case there are multiple ways of saying the same thing, etc. This is the '*' key, which means wildcard. Let's use our second example now, and instead of using 'h22a', let's use 'h22*'. So enter in for the keywords "h22* AND mounts" - your results should be more than the second example, but less than the first. This should help broaden your still specific search. ;)

Now, that is a basic overview of the most important KEYWORD functions for searching, however you can still fine-tune the search to match your requested results even better.

The first is using the Forum drop-down. This drop down allows you to select the different sections in the PreludePower Forums - General, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, etc. - so if you are searching for an intake for your 3rd gen - I would select the 3rd Gen as your forum selection so that you can get more precise results.

The second option is the author - let's say you know that liquid51 has done the h22a swap, and you know he's posted information about the mounts. Well, putting 'mounts' into the Keywords field, and "liquid51" in the authors field, you come up with the results (under 15 when I tried).

The third option, is the date - you can pick between what days to search through if you can recall the rough time period, allowing you to eliminate some non-possible results.

I hope that with you spending 5 minutes reading and trying the examples here, you will be able to use the search function with greater precise and accuracy then ever, as well as eliminating some very beginner posts (such as "do they make euro lights for our car?" "where can I buy a CAI?", and much more).

I would be more than most welcome to have this stickied (especially in the 3rd gen forum) to help clean the forums up, as well as help people work phpBB a little more effectively. Any comments, please lemme know.

·
Formerly NavyLude
2,062 Posts
More likely really iritated. Good write up though, I hope it works.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I hope it is appreciated by those who need to use it .

nice one .

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks for doing that man. IT NEEDS TO BE STICKIED! knowing how to make use of the search function really helps when your looking for stuff. That write up is long past due. thanks!

Rick

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer some questions - I was not irritated when I typed this up. Just 'motivated'.

It was not meant to be sarcastic, funny, or insulting. It is supposed to really help people who are interested in using the function, but just don't know how. ;)

Thanks for the compliments guys, I didn't notice how long it was until I copied it from Notepad. Oh well, it should still only take 5 minutes to go through. :)

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
If you don't mind Mario, I've 'borrowed' your motivation to type one up for my own forum .
been meaning to for ages .....
cheers .

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
what makes you guys think newbies will read it even if it's stickied?

they don't read the current stickies and they contain about 98% of all the answer they're looking for...

"what motor swaps can i do?"
"what's the rim size of the prelude?"
"what wings look the best"
"where can i buy a jdm motor?"

This is a good write up. It's a basic lesson in how to not be internet retarded. EVERYONE on the internet should know how to perform a usable search.

Sadly, the only people that will read this thread are the people that have no trouble using the search engine at all...

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's true, but if somone asks something and it's simple, send them a link to this topic, and lock the post. That way they get the know how to search, and you've nicely closed the subject. :)

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Mario said:
It's true, but if somone asks something and it's simple, send them a link to this topic, and lock the post. That way they get the know how to search, and you've nicely closed the subject. :)
i've tried nicely closing the subject. i've tried providing one on one help with searching and about the only response i get is

"if someone asks you what time it is, do you take them by the hand, walk them into the next room, and point at the clock? no, because that's the asshole thing to do"

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Not much help but I have to agree with the last 3 posts !

I'll be taking the route of giving them the link and to hell with their response .
Maybe if people on here were to help out in that way it would't look like the mods are giving them a hard time .

·
Banned
971 Posts
do you guys realize that this is like the only forum who bitches so much about newbies not using the search, I have NEVER seen a forum making such a big deal and so stuck on somethin like this.

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll agree... internet retards are everywhere. Hell, they're not even just on the internet! Go down to your local DMV, and you'll see what I mean....

Echo the other posts... great write up...

My only additional thought here would be that "newbies" quit being that, and become contributors to the site. I'm sure there are more than enough people "on the rolls" who have only read a few posts and never return. I guess they are just not as passionate about their cars as others... BUT... it would be nice to have said newbies contribute as well. I realize they may not be able to offer as much expertise, but sometimes, ever' bit counts. In other words, get, but give back too...

Just my two cents ....

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
i don't think it's an issue of contribution, it's just an issue of not looking hard enough to find an answer.

there is so much information available on the backlogs of the 3rd gen forum, that it's almost disgusting.

giving back is never an issue, but don't expect others to give freely for information that they had to search for...

that's just the way it works...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
lol.. i think this post is usefull.. lol.. i didn't know the * helped... daym.. got to use that some time...but it is supposed to be common for internet people to understand search functionality..daym... my home page is set to google.com..and i bet a lot of people are tooo... but i dunno.. thanks for the writeup.. i think its very usefull.. and maybe it should be a step...on registering onto the site.. honestly.. a lot of people aren't computer savy.. and need a walk through off al lthe functionality of a site.. like how to post pics.. etc... even though its all there... they still need a writeup..

sorry got the flu..if it seems like i was mumbling.. gonna sleep..

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
good points Jay Jay .

I wasn't 'net savvy, I'm still not by most peoples standards.
But I get on with it. I have a google toolbar and use it whenever I need to know something .
I get a strange sense of fulfillment from finding out things myself rather than taking the easy option all the time.

If people don't think other forum's have the 'newbie try the search ' issue then you must be using the two forum's that don't have a search function ! :wink:
I contribute more than I get out of any forum I use and others that do the same are the ones that tend to stop answering questions repeatedly ... mostly through boredom of the same old thing. So using the search is often the only way to get to all of the relevant information .

I wouldn't think this really needed to be debated quite so much as it has though .
It's a really helpful post and should be seen as such .
Although it's now got far more attention than a 'sticky' would have got :lol:

that's my two pence worth , and I want some change .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts