Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to replace the main gasket on the intake manifold, the one between the block and the manifold.
how do i go about removing the intake manifold?
i plan on doing this tomorrow, so quick replies would be helpful.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's not terribly difficult. Can be done with the engine in no problem.

You can start by taking all the nuts off that attach the intake mani to the head.

Then, get under your car and unbolt the intake runners from the metal bracket that holds them in place on the underside.

From there, you should be able to wiggle them free. If you need additional space, you may need to wrestle some water lines out of the way in order to get the mani to move far enough from the block to put the new gasket on.

Depending on your tools, you may also need to remove the fuel rail to get at some of the bolts, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You'll have to remove the EGR tube at the manifold also.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are the bolts to the block horizontal?
cuz i couldnt see any bolts attaching the two, i could hardly see where the ports even matched up..

·
Registered
287 Posts
its not that easy, well its not hard but the bottom bolts are a bitch to get to. ive only done ut with the engine out of the car/

Edit:

The bolts are horizontal exiting the head just like the exhaust mani

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bolts underneath are non existent.

i dont know why, but they just arent there.
i can guarantee that the previous owner didnt take the manifold out.. but when i was replacing the transmission, they werent there.
they didnt look too hard to get too, just get a long ass extension, or a few long ones.

how many horizontal bolts are there and where are they? cuz like i said, i didnt see any.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
The intake manifold attaches to the HEAD not the BLOCK.

See where the oil filter is ? There should be two black steel brackets, one on each side of the filter, supporting the manifold. Remove them. The job will go easier if you remove the oil filter also. Now you can see the lower nuts holding the intake manifold to the head.

·
OT ****
1,055 Posts
the bolts underneath are non existent.

i dont know why, but they just arent there.
i can guarantee that the previous owner didnt take the manifold out.. but when i was replacing the transmission, they werent there.
they didnt look too hard to get too, just get a long ass extension, or a few long ones.

how many horizontal bolts are there and where are they? cuz like i said, i didnt see any.
if they wernt on your car wouldnt run even close to right..

what the bottom of the mani looks like

the 2 holes on the bottom are for the brackets and the top 4 are the bolt holes

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, my car doesnt run anywhere close to right..
lol
i suspect its because those bolts arent there that the gasket broke.

but yeah, i meant head.
and im talking about the intake manifold, guessman.

squirrel, can you circle which nuts i need to unscrew on that top picture..

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
They are not bolts they are nuts and the top ones are the bitch to remove. as far as number of nuts just count the holes on the gasket.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, i misread what he said.
i was thinking there was only four nuts.

and i didnt say bolts, i said nuts.
bolts on the bottom though..

·
OT ****
1,055 Posts
oh, i misread what he said.
i was thinking there was only four nuts.

and i didnt say bolts, i said nuts.
bolts on the bottom though..
bolts on bottom? did you not look at my picture theres 5 studs on top and 4 studs on the bottom and the only bolts are in the brackets that attach the IM to the block...one the brackets are off the ones on bottom are easy.. the only good way to do that is under the car IMO..and the tops ones were much more difficult.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im talking about the bolts that go to the two brackets that you can get to from under the car.
the bolts werent there.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
there nuts on intake manifold that hold the intake manifold to the head. The number and placement can easily be seen by looking at the replacement gasket. There are 2 bolts going through the support brackets at their top that attach to the outside of the intake manifold. Then there is 4 more bolts much lower through the 2 brackets that bolt to the block.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so theres four nuts on top and four on bottom that i need to take off since the bracket bolts are already off?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Maybe the guy before you was to lazy to put those brackets on Green, sorry man.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
5 on top and 4 underneath. Unless your missing one. I think i ended up using a stubby ratcheting wrench on some on top. The bottom ones are easy. I would do all of the top first except maybe one that seems easy to get at. Then do the ones underneath then go back ontop and get the last one.

·
OT ****
1,055 Posts
if your worried bout it that much buy 2 from honda im not sure what size bolts they are to see if you have a spare or not..its just the bracket bolts it doesnt affect anything really. your after the IM gasket anyways so dont worry about it and go to honda and get 2 new bolts or find some that fit

1 - 20 of 75 Posts