Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got tired of the ugly cracked/worn out rubber molding…

If you dont want to have the hassle of removing everything, go here:
http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297509
For even another how to, go here:
http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301603

Many questions about “how to” so, I took the liberty of making a short How to: remove outer door molding. Its for the right door, but I assure you that it’s the same thing for the left door, just a mirror of it.

You’ll need 3 tools. A Philips screw driver, a flathead screwdriver (chode like is a plus LOL) and a small pointy flathead screwdriver (to pick open covers for screws).

Start by taking the screw off of the door handle cover.

Then slide the cover forward, then pull it out towards you.

Unplug the 2 cables.

To get the door opening rod off, rotate the clip so that it lets you pull the rod up.

Pop off the speaker cover, it just comes straight off.

Remove the 3 screws that hold the cover to the door. Not the speaker to the panel (see pics)

Then remove the screw in the handle.

Remove the mirror cover from the inside. Again, it pops right off, but takes a bit more effort than the speaker.

Now to take the panel off itself. There are 7 points that have clips. 2 on each of the vertical sides, and 3 on the bottom. Just wedge a really flathead screw driver into the bottom corner until you can get your fingers in. Once you’ve got a hold of it, simply grab it and pull it towards you. Be careful not to pull from only 1 part, but rather use all of your fingers to spread the area of pull. After they all pop out, pull the panel up and towards you.

Unplug the mirror.

Now remove the mirror by unscrewing the 3 screws.

Mirror pulls out.

Now for the tricky part. Put the flathead screw driver on the bottom edge of the molding, near the white clip. Start from the clip nearest to the mirror.

Push down on the screwdriver, so that it pushes the molding up. Once its up a bit, reposition the screw driver so that you have better grip on the molding.

You’ll hear a loud POP and the clip and molding will come up, but still will not stay there. Time to move onto the 2nd clip. Do the same thing.

By the 3rd clip, you should be able to lift it up with your hands. Pull it up, making sure that the clips come out smooth.

And there you have it, I just painted it a bit ago, and will apply some more coats. If you want to know how I did it, I got a razor and took off the remaining rubber as much as I could. Then I sanded it down. Proceeded to painting.

here are some pictures of my finished product (A LONG TIME LATER LOL)
My car is super dirty, hence the white stuff. I'll take some more when I clean it up!!

and... (bird crap on door)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Why go thru so much trouble when it's only held down by clips? does the mirror overlap the molding?

I was thinking there was screws...oh well. I need to do this anyway.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mirror does overlap the molding. Atleast on a civic it does. We replaced some on a friend's car and managed to do it without taking pannels and mirror off but ended up breaking some of the clips... didn't matter since we were replacing the whole thing.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
If you're refinishing the original one, yeah, you should remove the panels and do it that way so you don't break any clips. But if you're replacing it with a new one with new clips, I would just pull it off, because it wouldn't matter if you break any of the clips.

·
Registered
37 Posts
so if you're replacing it with a new strip, u dont have to take the door panel completely off?

·
Registered
37 Posts
cool, i need to replace my passenger side.... any idea on how much they go for at the dealer?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Painting the moulding pieces? They come black, just like the original ones.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just paint it with the moldings on the car?? n just tape off the paint n windows??

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts