Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the heck do you get the shifter knob off a 91 automatic? I've removed the screws on either side of the base of the knob and it slides up about an inch but that's it. I think it's the S4 switch/wiring that's keeping it from coming off.

I already completely broke off my push knob trying to get this thing off, and I'm frustrated. Page 9-26 of the 89 shop manual shows a spring pin that goes through the shifter which apparently holds the push knob in place. I can see the holes in the rubber/plastic to get to the pin, but can't figure out how to get it out. Does is unscrew? Can I just push it out?

I must be missing something simple.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, figured it out. For posterity's sake, here's how to go about it:

Remove the rear and front consoles as per the shop manual.

Disconnect the S4 switch cable (insulated, green/black) from the base of the shifter; it's on the driver's side, towards the front. You'll have to use pliers to release the connector from the housing. Use a nail or something pointy to release the pins from within the connector and then pull the cable through to the base of the shifter knob.

Remove the two screws on base of the knob. Find the tiny hole in the side of rubber housing about 1/3 down from the top. That's where the spring pin is, which holds the push knob assembly in place. Use a nail or something similar to knock the pin out the other side.

Once the pin's out you can lift the knob off the shifter, twisting it slightly if necessary and feeding the S4 cable through the bottom of the shifter assembly.

Once the knob's off, you can remove the push knob by poking it up from the bottom. The S4 button snaps out, but be careful not to break any of the clasps like I did.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds more complex than it needs to be...:shock:

Anyways, good work and hopefully it looks better after all that trouble.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds more complex than it needs to be...:shock:
Tell me about it. Of course, this is the whole handle, not just knob like on top of the manuals. Still, a lot more work that I figured it'd be. Fortunately super glue is doing a good job on the push knob that I broke trying to pry it out.

Anyways, good work and hopefully it looks better after all that trouble.
Yeah, that's the thing. This whole project was simply to clean the console. I already had half the dash apart to fix the cabin thermostat cable and figured why not yank the shifter plate out, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, figured it out. For posterity's sake, here's how to go about it:

Remove the rear and front consoles as per the shop manual.

Disconnect the S4 switch cable (insulated, green/black) from the base of the shifter; it's on the driver's side, towards the front. You'll have to use pliers to release the connector from the housing. Use a nail or something pointy to release the pins from within the connector and then pull the cable through to the base of the shifter knob.

Remove the two screws on base of the knob. Find the tiny hole in the side of rubber housing about 1/3 down from the top. That's where the spring pin is, which holds the push knob assembly in place. Use a nail or something similar to knock the pin out the other side.

Once the pin's out you can lift the knob off the shifter, twisting it slightly if necessary and feeding the S4 cable through the bottom of the shifter assembly.

Once the knob's off, you can remove the push knob by poking it up from the bottom. The S4 button snaps out, but be careful not to break any of the clasps like I did.
Hey man. So with your new shifter knob I guess it doesn't have an S4 button right? So after I disconnect that cable I can just hide it away and it'll be fine? I don't use that S4 button anyways

1 - 6 of 6 Posts