Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a how to on painting your valve cover extremely cheap and thus I wont include such a detailed explination.

Things you need.

1. AirCraft Stripper
2. Sandpaper (various grades I prefer wet)
3. high temp primer (just for safety)
4. Paint of your choice
5. lip balm

First off, remove your valve cover (I'm using an extra one of I have, one of many!!!)

I like to clean it up once off with soapy water and a soft brush.

Then spray on your aircraft stripper and let it sit for about 5 minutes... I took this time to drink a beer, moke a doobie and watch some pokemon!

After a wHile, you'll notice the paint just rising from the dead. Take your hose and spray this bitch off.

You'll notice it still has a bit of paint left on it, now the dangerous part begins, I recommend gloves for the girls out there since this stuff does burn. Spray it back down with the stripper (should have about 3/4 of a bottle left I do about 2-2 1/2 covers with 1 bottle) and use a soft disposable brush to remove the left over paint.

At this point, the cover can be painted, primed or whatever you want to do.

I decided to slightly polish my VTEC lettering which is something I wont show the process of. You can also use 600grit sandpaper and remove most of the casting marks. Though that's not a budget "build" so we'll skip all of that and go straight to paint!

I used the same method on my plug cover and painted the undercoat with gold paint

I did 5 total coats. 2 gold paint and 3 purple. It's your standard krylon paint, no high heat no special baking steps nothing.....

This is a very rough paint job and something I did on a speedy day....

If you want to protect your VTEC lettering, this is where the "Lip Balm" comes handy. Spread it over the lettering and paint the bitch.

Once dry you can use a cloth to remove the paint/lip balm from the lettering and it'll look like this (MMMMM CARMEX!)

You can either leave it like this. This is exactly how I did my pink cover and it's still pretty. Or you can clear coat it for another 10 bucks (it's expensive) but then it wouldn't be budget

stripper $9
sandpaper $6
Paint $8 (2 cans)
lip balm $1 mmmm carmex

don't forget to make sure your valve cover seals are in good shape for this... if not it's more monnies for it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
bless you Mario. I will be doing this shortly. I want to shave off my letters though, do you have a good idea to easily get them off? If only I had access to a body shop with a pneumatic sander :)

I'm going to use some glossy black high temp paint I have sitting around in my garage. I think it will look really good with no letters and a carbon fiber ignition cover.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a grinding wheel and an angle grinder.... then use a belt sander to smooth it out and so forth.

I'm doing a completely shaved down valvecover as well with breather ports.... this cover will be about 200-300 bucks to do, considering grinding discs and sandpaper, etc etc.

You can also use 2 part epoxy putty to fill in the holes on the cover and sand that down.

My breather cover will also be airbrushed and professionally clear coated to ensure a long life!

FYI the smudges on the last pic are from the adhesive from the butterflies! I used a heat gun and rubbing alcohol to clean it off before the clear...... this cover is/was made for the freshno meet and I'll be taking a sharpie so that everyone can sign it, hopefully!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't be a Cheap ass, you can at least powder Coat it if you don't want to go JDM. There's No feeling better than JDM, you should try it you'll sleep better at night lol....

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My pink valve cover has been pink for over a year and has seen countless runs at the track, highway and street runs.

It's not peeling.

If you think you must send an item out to get done properly, you're an idiot and have no need for lungs.

Sorry if I offend any of you "chumps" but DIY is always great when done properly. If it wasn't for DIY I wouldn't have my car where it's at as we speak.

idiots.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
My pink valve cover has been pink for over a year and has seen countless runs at the track, highway and street runs.

It's not peeling.

If you think you must send an item out to get done properly, you're an idiot and have no need for lungs.

Sorry if I offend any of you "chumps" but DIY is always great when done properly. If it wasn't for DIY I wouldn't have my car where it's at as we speak.

idiots.
lol teams right
his pink valve cover is hella smexy :turn:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts

idiots.
Haha, x2. No part of my car has been in a shop since I've owned it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Haha, x2. No part of my car has been in a shop since I've owned it.
Hahahahha, you fellas are a bunch of jokers.........I read through, and yeah, pink's not bad, who doesn't like pink (well, if you know what I mean, the one down there on females).......but yeah, seriously, pink is the official color of Subaru STi, those bad ass cars, chose pink!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
errrr....I guess a man who's secure in his masculinity,lol. ...or if you in jail; our sheriff makes you wear pink underwear in his prisons out here.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I took my VC to a machine shop and had them wash and strip it, then I painted it with wrinkle paint, turned out great! Cost me about 25 bucks, that included washing a few other parts.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts