1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Flashy Stars
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to paint my SH wheels.
What I used:
Crappy cell phone camera
Sandblaster - Not required, you can just sand the wheels by hand.
Regular car wash soap, spunge.
Tack Cloth

Dupli-Color Grease & Wax Remover

Goof Off

3M 320 Grit Sandpaper

Dupli-Color HP Wheel Bronze - 3 Cans

Dupli-Color Zinc Chromate primer - 2 Cans

Metal polishing discs - 2 + a normal drill

First thing I did was take off the tires. You dont have to do this, but I was putting on new tires anyway. I have access to a sandblaster so I spent about 35 mins on each rim getting all the corrosion blasted off, but some paint was still left.

Notice the curb rash on the lip from the previous owner.

I used the polishing discs to clean up the lips and any other damaged areas. Then I sanded the rest of the rim using the 320 grit paper.

Then I washed the wheels with regular car wash soap/spunge and let them dry really well. Once dry I used the wax and grease remover then the tack cloth to get any dust.
Next came primer. I went with the zinc chromate because it is good for bare metal (which was showing on over half the wheels after the sandblasting)

I used about 2 coats. Turning the wheels and moving around to make sure I got every spot covered.

I let them dry about 15 minutes between coats with the aid of a heat lamp. Next is color, which was sprayed about an hour after the last coat of primer.
All coats were painted pretty light, sprayed about 15 minutes apart.
(1st coat)

I did three coats total, again making sure to turn the wheels and move around to make sure all the primer was covered with paint. When all the paint was sprayed I let them sit under the heat lamp all night.

As you can see, I was doing the centers at the same time, using the same process. I used the Goof Off to remove the metal "H" before sanding. I just poured a little on and let it sit. They nearly fell off.

I would reccomend doing the centers first to make sure everything is right. They are easy to fix, the rims are not. I learned this the hard way. I used the Dupli-Color High Performance clear coat and it came out really bad. looked like donut frosting. So I had to sand it off and repaint two coats of color. It all turned out well though.

They arent on the car yet, I'll take some pictures when they are installed.

ADDED PICS... Car is dirty but....smeh.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Damn bro, you need to be writing tech articles for some magazines!! Nice write up, look like they turned out well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oh sweet deal. Ya when i got a nail in my tire i took it to canadian tire because that was the only place open and i needed my car asap. They had to take the rubber off... and they mucked up the rim pretty bad. And they almost forgot to give me my center cap..

I guess the good thing with paint is touch ups are pretty easy to do. Im thinking of re-doing my blades bronze.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
nice!!
so u didn't use clear??
cuz i didn't also,lol i sprayed it when the paint was still wet and the clear didn't come out to well so i started all over and all i did was after the paint is good and dry, i sanded them with 2000grit slightly and then i polished them pretty good and they look like they have a clear coat on them.

NICe Write up

·
Flashy Stars
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
any idea were i can buy all the iteams at and for how much
I dont know whats around you, but most of this stuff came from either Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart. Paint was about $8/can, primer was $6/can, tack cloth was $1, grease & wax remover was $7, and sandpaper was $2/pack. I dont know how much the pads or goof off were, bought them long ago, not expensive I image.

What's that thing you put to remove old paint? I think it comes in cans too
I dont know what you mean. I sandblasted the corrosion and sanded the rest with sandpaper....by hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts