Honda Prelude Forum banner

HOW TO: Fix Flappy door handle!

36K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  djhanson100 
#1 ·
Another RomPirate presentation:
As always,
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW UP/KILL SOMEONE/KILL YOURSELF/DESTROY PROPERTY/DESTROY YOUR PROPERTY/BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN OR ANYTHING WHATSOEVER REMOTELY RELATED TO THIS THREAD OR ANY THREAD/RESPONSE TO A THREAD BY ME. DO EVERYTHING AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

This thread, as all my other threads are made with money saving and DIY’ing in mind. Versus having to pay $58 per side to buy a new one… So if you've got nothing useful to say... GTFO!!!

Lets begin
Difficulty 2.5/5.0
Time to complete: 1-2 Hrs

1) Roll the window up
2) Follow my writeup here until it tells you to remove the mirror
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272174
Use this as a reference for better pictures:

3) Remove the following screws, remove the plastic pieces and switches that are attached to the switches:

4) Remove this clip by rotating it similar to the one from my writeup

From Writeup:

5) Maneuver the handle as shown, don’t forget to use a towel!

6)Now its time to remove this rod connected to the handle

Use some wire cutters to wedge them apart while you push the plastic clips on the other side towards the center

6)GTFO

7) Here is the culprit

Fixing it will vary on your situation, but chances are that you have the same issue as I did
Here’s how I fixed it, make sure you read it all before starting
8 )I wanted to rearrange the spring, I figured I would move it to the other side, away from the broken area
I cut the longer part of the spring

How much? Well I used this as a reference, enough to clear under the handle

9) DON’T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID. In my quest to find a suitable configuration, I cut the other part of the spring that is “U” shaped, resulting in a shorter segment that would normally easily hold the spring in place nicely. What was left for me was barely enough to hold it in place.

The now missing part in the picture would normally go wedged under the lip in the picture as shown.
10) BAM!

11) Before trying to slide in the handle again, unscrew this 1 or 2 turns counter clockwise. ( I did 2) The door wont unlock because of the space taken up by the spring under the handle (where I said to cut and tuck it in)

12) Put the handle in, and use some pliers to pop the rod to the handle

13) when you do put the handle in, it’ll be a little hard to get it to line up correctly, Its because the spring that is tucked under the lip is in the way. It wasn’t too big of an issue for me, seeing as I cut it accidentally… But you’ll have to maneuver it. You’ll see what I mean
14) Put the 2 major bolts on it, and try it out before you screw on the other little parts! (you’ll thank me) When it works, Screw everything on in reverse order, and BAM! Your done :D

Note: I accidentally didn’t put the rod back on in the video, which is why you see it doesn’t open.

Rep, as always is accepted :D

See less See more
#6 ·
#12 ·
my passenger side door handle just went flappy yesterday :( looks like I'll have to test out your write-up!

#13 ·
my passenger is messed up too, I think everyone that does this should do a write up cause we know everyone is gonna come into some kinda problem that someone else didnt and some others might find a better way, I dunno, just thought I would say that

#15 ·
hey fuck head WTF??????????

i burned my house and killed my cat im suing because of your horrible instructions lol

#18 ·
Great previous writeup. I got around repairing my flappy handles today and have an alternate solution. BTW....the plastic piece was broken off my handle as well.

This may be an easier/more permanent fix:
Rather than cutting the spring as suggested, I drilled a hole through the plastic where the part "was" before it broke off. I then inserted a small metal rod (about the diameter of a coat hanger) into the drilled hole and left about 1/2" sticking out of the hole. I then grabbed the "U" portion of the spring with needle nose pliers and positioned this behind where the rod is sticking out of the hole. Take your needle nose pliers and bend the rod around the spring to hold the spring in place.

Now, you can open/close the handle and feel how tight it is.

#19 ·
Great previous writeup. I got around repairing my flappy handles today and have an alternate solution. BTW....the plastic piece was broken off my handle as well.

This may be an easier/more permanent fix:
Rather than cutting the spring as suggested, I drilled a hole through the plastic where the part "was" before it broke off. I then inserted a small metal rod (about the diameter of a coat hanger) into the drilled hole and left about 1/2" sticking out of the hole. I then grabbed the "U" portion of the spring with needle nose pliers and positioned this behind where the rod is sticking out of the hole. Take your needle nose pliers and bend the rod around the spring to hold the spring in place.

Now, you can open/close the handle and feel how tight it is.
Good thinking! I was able to do a variation of this idea, I also drilled a small hole (about 1/4in deep), and was able to needlenose the end of the spring into the hole. I didn't even completely remove the outside handle assembly, just needed to access the broken off spring land area. WaaLaa!

#20 ·
THIS IS WHAT I DID , well the spring flipped on its own when i pulled it to the side.
I was cleaning my window tracks and thought i would go ahead and to this .

I never took any bolt out or the handle I only messed with this for about 5 min if that! Ive only done the pass side it might not work on driver.

#23 · (Edited)
well i have been reading this thread and trying to decide on if i really wanna go this route..

once i finally got out there and tore it down i realized a much easier way to fix this problem while using the spring in its original position.

if you drill an 1/8 hole right where the piece broke off when you place the spring in the hole it is supported quite well. i just fixed both of my handles in less than 30minutes.

your way of doing it would work as it has probably worked well for many people seeing as this thread has been here for quite some time . and the thread over on preludeonline requires too many damn posts to read it.

thanks for the kick start on fixing my flappy handles.....

#25 ·
well i have been reading this thread and trying to decide on if i really wanna go this route..

once i finally got out there and tore it down i realized a much easier way to fix this problem while using the spring in its original position.

if you drill an 1/8 hole right where the piece broke off when you place the spring in the hole it is supported quite well. i just fixed both of my handles in less than 30minutes.

your way of doing it would work as it has probably worked well for many people seeing as this thread has been here for quite some time . and the thread over on preludeonline requires too many damn posts to read it.

thanks for the kick start on fixing my flappy handles.....
Awesome. I am going to give this a shot with my handle. Rep coming your way.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.