Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do this at your own risk, I'm not responsable for anything you screw up.

Well it depends on how you filled the holes. If you used body filler (bondo) then just take an oxy torch to it and quickly melt the bondo off without warping the metal.
A butain torch might work.... If you have Acess to a welder that'd be your BEST option. Grind the paint about 6" around the holes off for blending and feather edging. Weld in the holes using a curcular weld pattern. Use a grinder and grind the excess weld down flush or it can have a little bump. If there's a little bump take a hammer (preferibly a body hammer) and hammer with the head (not the pick side) the what I call a boob untill it is a very small dent.

Now you're ready for filler. Most filler's require a hardner which is the tube of shit provided with the filler. You'll probbly only need about a silver dollar sized glob of filler. the filler to hardner ratio is 4:1, 4 parts filler to 1 part hardner...Basicly use a 1/4 inch line of hardner if you're using a golf ball sized glob. Mix the hardner and filler untill there is a uniform color. Use a filler spreader to spread the filler over your welds. Try not to GLOB it on because I learned the hard ay it's a bitch to sand off. Let it cure then if needed mix up some more and put it on.

Now after everything's all cured (30min-1hr) take some 40 grit sand paper and start sanding it down. Make sure to feather edge the edges (make them flush looking with the bare metal.) , STOP if any metal starts to show through the filler. If this happens take your body hammer and use the pick side to peck down the high spot. You'll have to make sure that you re-fill after this. Once you get everything roughed into shape with the 40 grit paper, move up to an 80 grit, then a 160, then 220.

Now you're ready to seal and prime. You'll need a spray gun for this. Apply your sealer (ask a dude at an autoparts store that sells paint he'll hook you up) to the metal surfaces. let it cure for 15 min. then mix up primer (look on the product label for mixing ratio) with your reducer. Spray on one coat lightly, then let it sit for 5 min and spary another light coat, that sould do it but if you can still see filler give it another coat. Let that dry for a couple hours. the get some 600 grit sand paper and wet sand it, then with 800.

If all is good you're ready for paint. Clean your primer gun VERY VERY VERY VERY well if you're gonna use the same gun for your top coat. If you dont have a seperate clear coat gun you're probbly going to want to do Single stage. Mix up your paint (check product lable for mix ratio) spray that on in two or three light coats. Let it "flash" (couple hours). Wet sand with 1000 grit paper, then step up to 1500 untill it has a dull shine. Now you're ready to cut and buff. Most people are freaked out by this but if you do it the way I did it is almost impossible to burn through your paint. Take your buffer and compound, buff sections at a time. Set your buffer speed at 1400rpm and buff then take the second compound and buff with the pad that complies with the final compound. Take hand glaze and hand buff. wash it off and BLAM if you did it all right it should be done.

The Mad Scientist :newbie:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a real weld is my choice and you cant use jb weld to make a smooth surfice as well. plus body filler is made for just that filling

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paragraphs added and a few revisions made

·
Registered
171 Posts
Another option to welding is to bang it in just slightly with a hammer and then fill with fiberglass/resin and then body fill (for perfect smoothness) and continue with the tutorial as described above..

·
Registered
80 Posts
What about that huge gaping H on the back of the 3rd Gens? i haven't figured out how that som biotch comes off.. would MUCH prefer to shave all the emblems.. good write up though, & do it right (weld) the first time - ftw :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welding is the best way to fix the holes. then grind smooth and use finishing putty. If you do not have access to a welder DO NOT use bondo/body filler it will crack or push through the other side of hole. The cheapest way to fix this is FIBERGLASS RESIN short or long strand will do. Mix it up, sand the roughness w 40 grit, featheredge with 80, prime it and finish putty as needed.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
What about that huge gaping H on the back of the 3rd Gens? i haven't figured out how that som biotch comes off.. would MUCH prefer to shave all the emblems.. good write up though, & do it right (weld) the first time - ftw :)
there are 2 10mm bolts on the backside you need to take out, then weld up the holes, grind down the welds, put some body filler over it, smooth that out, spray some primer, then paint

1 - 20 of 31 Posts