Honda Prelude Forum banner

How To: Extend Hood Lift w/ Prop Relocation

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  carfreak16 
#1 ·
So some of you may have wondered at some point what the purpose of this hole is:

Well fuck if I know myself but I decided to come up with my own purpose and share my solution with you all.

This is the normal perch for the prop when the hood is open:

There seems to be another over here, obviously intentional:

What you need is the hood stay grommet:

These little fuckers are only $0.45 from Honda:

Which is the reason why I got four:

Pull your hood prop out and examine the end of it:

Cut off the s-tip leaving as much straight length as possible, grind it round if necessary:

Now carefully shove a grommet into the secondary hole, it's tight so try not to break any of the legs:

If the regular grommet broke, replace that as well:

Here is the hood propped at the regular height:

Here is the hood propped up at the secondary position:

Be amazed at how much fucking space there is now to do maintenance:

The reason for cutting the hood prop is the make removing it as easy as possible. If you don't do it then it will be nearly impossible to get it out and pop it back into the grommet easily. The grommet legs hold onto the prop somewhat so it will not slip out. Currently I have not figured out how to permanently move the hood prop to the secondary location and allow it to fold down and stow away across the engine, without looking retarded.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can put the prop in that position then and then lay it down and it will sit on top of valve cover. I use this prop location all the time wheni need to have the hood open for lightning and what not. If you look in the service manual it show this very thing being done on multipple pages.

I dont ever use the grommet and have never had issues holding the hood up. I havnt had to cut the prop either.

#3 ·
Been doing this since the JRSC install. If you leave the S-Bend and don't use grommets it's very easy to switch it from primary to secondary and back; I do it with one hand while holding the hood with the other.

EDIT: Lol, you can even see it chilling there in my sig.

#6 ·
You'd think this would be more obvious, hence why I made a write-up.

I had figured there would be something in the secondary hole rather than just metal-on-metal contact, at least an arrow or something, or a differently shaped hole to accept the prop. Initially I thought it may have been for a shorter hood prop for a different market maybe different engines or something, because I didn't understand the point of two points on the hood. In my mind I didn't think Honda would leave something unfinished. I've never seen the section in the service manual about this either.

Sure, you can do exactly this without the grommet in either location. But I like the finer details and how it looks "polished" now. I also didn't really like for it rattling around on the bulk head, scratching up the paint and causing rust to form around the hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.