Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay after recent interest I've decided to do a write up on my take of the parking lights in the front turn signals and still retain stock turn signal operation. This is in my opinion a very simple mod just using other Honda parts.

Parts needed:
2 '96-'00 Civic front turn signal sockets 33302-SR3-A01
2 '96-'00 Civic connectors 04321-SR3-308
1 Pack of pig tail connectors 04320-SP0-E00
2 1157 Bulbs, available at any parts store
Shrink Wrap
Electrical tape
Solder
Solder less butt connectors (if you don't want to solder)
18 Gauge wire

Tools needed:
Wire strippers
Diagonal cutters
Wire crimpers
Soldering Iron or gun
Philips screw driver
Flat head screw driver
Ratchet w/ 10mm socket

Instructions and pic's are for the left side. Right side is similar.

1) Remove front bumper.
http://www.preludeonline.com/f89/wri...r-pics-132194/

2) Remove tape and sheathing from the side marker harness and turn harness pig tails to expose the wiring. Try to save the clip/zip tie to reuse.

3) Cut the turn signal power wire, Green/Blue(L) Green/Yellow(R) . And ground wire, Black.
-Cut to an appropriate length to be sure enough is left to splice and to reach the turn bezel.

4) Cut the power wire for the side marker Red/Black.

5) Strip and splice some extra 18 gauge wire to the side Red/Black wire. Use enough wire so it will reach to the front bumper.

6) If you have new pig tails assessable the connector by pushing the pigs into the connector.

7) Strip and splice the new connector to the factory turn, ground, and the length of wire to the side marker. Make sure to leave enough slack so it will reach the turn bezel.

-Shown is the back of the Civic connector. #1 is the Turn. #2 G201 is the ground. #3 Circuit 11 is the "park". Up of the connector is the holding pin up.

8 ) Tape everything up in factory like condition.

9) Install new sockets w/1157 bulbs into turn bezel.

10) Install bumper and lights.

11) Enjoy your new dual filament front turn signals with parking lights.

I thought I had more and better pictures, but once you start it it will be kinda self explanatory. And when your finished you will realize how easy it was :turn:. Enjoy.

-JBLude01

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
"I thought I had more and better pictures, but once you start it it will be kinda self explanatory. And when your finished you will realize how easy it was :turn:. Enjoy."

close up picture?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
trying to show off your snap on tools ? lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trying to show off your snap on tools ? lol
haha yea i didn't want to get the craftsman ones in the pic. I just thought i had better pictures plus my photo editing skills are just not their lol.

·
Registered
852 Posts
ok...now sell me ur jdm fogs!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
oh i just figured out what you did. haha

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I see that lude everyday! This mod looks awesome and it will look even better after our retrofit mod to the turns :Rock:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
So what is the advantage of dual filament? I'm not sure I understand the difference...
So it can stay on and flash at the same time

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks man. appreciate the help with this. i'm going to try and locate some 7443 sockets so i can still use my led bulbs i'm currently using.
Yea that might work too! Just wire it up the same and your good to go. I just went with the Civic b/c i had an extra socket in my tool box, and i was bored after work, lol. Also the Civic is more common IMO.

So what is the advantage of dual filament? I'm not sure I understand the difference...
I don't understand what was done to begin with :dontgetit:
I just added some extra lights to my car, i guess it really doesn't do anything. But i just wanted something different, plus i like the look of the amber turns, yellow fogs, white LED city lights and soon to be HID's :devil:. (Retro or not.)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Nice write-up!

the reason for this:

5th gen's front bumper lights DO NOT turn on with parking lights. They are just turn signals. Therefore, making them dual filament will allow the front bumper lights to come 'ON' with your parking lights, as well as still obtain it's blinker function.

Helps the idiots on the road to see you better too lmao :tongue2:

there, hopefully ppl will now understand why this is a good thing

·
Registered
3,062 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
looks good. wonder how it would look with clear turns and jdm fogs :)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts