Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you think it would cost me to get a new b20 for my car. i dont wanna go h22 cause im doing it myself, and that seems like it would be a pain in the ass. and does anyone know a good place to get them frommm?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
depends on what your looking for exactly used, rebuilt, etc... try this site http://www.automotix.net/engines/ fill out the info and then they'll send your request to everyone they deal with. Those people will then email or call you directly. or go to a slavage yard like u pull it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i want either a re built one, or one with very low miles on it

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
whats the difference between a b20a5 (which i have right now) and a b20b

and what all would i have to do, to swap an h22 if i decided too?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
its not gonna be cheap for a rebuilt one. your probably looking somewhere in the 1000 range but I don't sell them so I can't really quote a price. check that site out i've used it before.

·
Registered
210 Posts
are you talking about the b20a for the prelude? because this listing is for the b20b, a completely different engine altogether. actually, they arent even in the same engine family. the b20a seems to be a very common swap for the 3gp, i dont know about the b20b. so if you are looking for the b20a, this is definitely not the right engine.

the b20a5 is very similar to the b20a, and very different from the b20b.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
stick with a b20a5 unless you and your wallet are prepared for alot of work

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeai have a b20a5 right now. and its only got about 10k miles on it. its a re manufactured from honda.. but i blew the head gasket in between the second and third piston, and it still runs now. but there is some rivets on the piston walls that bother the hell out of me. and i dont wanna get them bored just because the walls are so damn thin.
im just not sure what to do about it. but i love this car. and i want it to last long

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
if it only has 10k on it and its from honda shouldn't it be covered by some warranty? usually rebuilt motors come with warrantys or at least any that I would be willing to pay for would.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i just went to hmotorsonline.com and searched b20 and that was ther first thing that came up.
i think its a good deal though, 549?
hella.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
its a good price if you have a car it will fit in without having to do a bunch of ridiculous modifications and making or paying for custom parts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
i just went to hmotorsonline.com and searched b20 and that was ther first thing that came up.
i think its a good deal though, 549?
hella.

It would be a better deal if it was remotely close to the correct motor lol.

Your choices with little to no modification are B21, B20a5, and B20a.

Many people opt for a motor from a JDM importer because they are typically lower mileage.

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index....ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9

Expect to pay shipping in addition to that.

Most honda parts have a 12mth/12,000 mile warranty, I would be contacting honda of america about that motor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it did have a warranty but it was sitting in a garage for a little over 2 years and the warranty was like 1 year 5k miles. is what i was told.. anyways i dont have the papers...

im just debating on dropping a new one in, or repairing what wrongs with this one. which would require getting the cylinder walls resurfaced. which would mean different pistons, and hell while im down there might as well go new rods and bearings too..

but its all easier said than done, im just wondering which way is the best way to go.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
could i put a b20a in there with no mods.
or what kinda mods would i have to do.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
if you rebuild it yourself you'll have some peace of mind. if you buy it rebuilt from somewhere else who knows what parts they used or if they took their time and measured everything out correctly. They may even use used parts.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
very true. but ive never rebuilt an engine before, i mean i know my fair share. ive swapped a few rotary engines before lol but there wayyyy different.

but i suppose if i have my handy service manual i should be ok....

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
everyone that knows how do rebuild them didn't know at some point

1 - 20 of 46 Posts