Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into an accident earlier this afternoon. I was entering a highway (in very very slow traffic) and as i'm turning into the highway ( i have the green light) at around 5 mph bumper-to-bumper traffic, i am stopped. Suddenly, a truck hits my side rear. The guy is claiming to the cops that i suddenly cut in front of him, when i was clearly stopped already! The truth is, i was already ahead of this truck as i was turning into the highway and i wasn't even moving when he hit me. And even if i did suddenly cut in front of him, then the damage would be more toward my front-side, which clearly isn't! He probably didn't see me. It's my word against his and i only have liablity. How much is this going to cost me?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
That's going to be a bit over $1k cause that's going to have to be cut, replaced, and repainted, and red paint isn't all that cheap. That's if the job is done right instead of just pulling it all out and throwing some body filler on it. If I were to be the one working on it, I'd probably charge around $2k-$2500 to fix all that, cause there's a lot of work to be done

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh man oh man... i'm seriously hoping that's not the case because my funds are seriously low and i'm still looking for an occupation... Now i'm thinking maybe i shouldn't have reported it to the cops and insurance if it's going to cost more this way...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm afraid to even leave my car parked anywhere anymore, everyones ludes getting tagged.
The guys who plow my apt complex are idiots. I'm afraid i'm going to wake up with my bumper up in a snow bank.

Good luck with that man, looks like a clean lude too.
One way or another, that guy hit you, get a lawyer if you have to, should be cheaper than paying out of pocket for the repairs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm afraid to even leave my car parked anywhere anymore, everyones ludes getting tagged.
The guys who plow my apt complex are idiots. I'm afraid i'm going to wake up with my bumper up in a snow bank.

Good luck with that man, looks like a clean lude too.
One way or another, that guy hit you, get a lawyer if you have to, should be cheaper than paying out of pocket for the repairs.
Yeah, i know. Even the people on the highway (everyone got a close-up view because we were all bumper-to-bumper) would've seen that i was CLEARLY not even moving and was well ahead of him when he hit me. However, i seriously cannot afford a lawyer. I'm just hoping that maybe his insurance will cover it SINCE HE HAS A JOB or that it will be 50/50. However, as i previously mentioned, i only have liability and the extent of that can only go so far at best. In the very least, i'm hoping i won't have to pay HIS damages as well. I don't have an occupation right now and he does, and me HAVING TO PAY for WHAT HE DID is just not right, in my opinion.

·
Registered
161 Posts
prelude1897 is right
i worked at a autobody and did it for 2 years and that is some bad damage.
the quarter has to be repalced then that whole side has to painted so it looks normal again then there is probaly other damge that happened. is the back wheel bent?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm confused... If you called the police and so many people were around to see it, wasn't a police report filed? And if so, didn't you tell the police that it was clearly his fault and did any of those witnesses corroborate your story?

Seems to me that if things went down the way you say, his insurance should be paying.

Good luck

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
prelude1897 is right
i worked at a autobody and did it for 2 years and that is some bad damage.
the quarter has to be repalced then that whole side has to painted so it looks normal again then there is probaly other damge that happened. is the back wheel bent?
No the backwheel isn't bent (thankfully) and i could still drive it with no problem all the way to my house.

I'm confused... If you called the police and so many people were around to see it, wasn't a police report filed? And if so, didn't you tell the police that it was clearly his fault and did any of those witnesses corroborate your story?

Seems to me that if things went down the way you say, his insurance should be paying.

Good luck
Yes, a police report was filed, however, we moved from the scene of the accident since it was causing massive traffic (it was right at the entrance to a very very busy highway). The police came about 10 minutes later when we parked our vehicles at a nearby gas station. She took statements: The guy's statement was that i "undercut" him too quickly and he couldn't see me, thus he crashed into my rear side.
I told the cop that i had the greenlight and was CLEARLY ahead of the truck, and also was CLEARLY STOPPED. Thus, how could i have suddenly undercut him if i was already ahead when making my turn and was even stopped already prior to the impact? The only truth from his story seems to be the fact the HE DID NOT SEE ME.
Unfortunately, as i said before, it's only my word against his and i only have liability and call insurance tmw to find out what will happen.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The police report should say something about what the cop's findings are. They take the statements then make a decision and file the report. Do you know if he got a ticket?
Oh, i didn't know about that. I'm not sure. She said to go pick up the police report at the station on Wednesday. I certainly hope it shows that I wasn't at fault.....

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
TAKE THAT SHIT TO COURT!!
fight it as strong as u can... see if the guy slips up...
just be like "your honor... i dont understand... he's making himself out to be the victim when I was just sitting there..." looking by where the damage is its hard for u to do that unless u cant drive stick and u rolled back at like 30mph and hit him

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TAKE THAT SHIT TO COURT!!
fight it as strong as u can... see if the guy slips up...
just be like "your honor... i dont understand... he's making himself out to be the victim when I was just sitting there..." looking by where the damage is its hard for u to do that unless u cant drive stick and u rolled back at like 30mph and hit him
Yeah, exactly! I hope the police report shows that it was his fault, or at least that it's neutral because, i was already there in front of him and i wasn't even moving---and it's seriously going to be f**ked up if I have to pay for my damage AND his AND get my insurance raised when i wasn't even moving. He just couldn't see over the hood of his truck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
report to your insurance, if it aint your fault
then he will gotta pay

or report hit and run :D since you probably got his info
and yea take it to the court ;D

1 - 20 of 92 Posts