Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at my local junkyard with a friend and we found three turbo cars that could be donors...(2 daytonas and a subaru legacy) the owner wants 150 bucks a piece if we take them out ourselves. Is that decent pricing? it seemed high for a pick and pull junkyard but looking online it seems about reasonable... the subaru had a nice removable hood scoupe too that could be decently used functionally on a prelude as well... hmmm lots of possiblitys...

Ian.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
from a pick and pull, id say $100 max for a turbo. cuz you have no idea what condition the turbo is in. it may need a rebuild, or may even be totally destroyed

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
check the turbo. pull it out if u can and check the compressor wheels. If any fins are bent, or rusty, dont get it. Chances are something could have went in there like a rock and could probably be in there :lol: Check the wheel for shaft play, push it up and down and side to side to see if it moves, if it moves a lot, and you can get it cheaper, you can rebuild it, but dont do it yourself. Turbos need to be rebuilt carefully and need to be balanced. Just make sure you are going to go through with turbo. I have 2 turbos, a 14b and a t3 sitting in my garage bc i told myself i was going to turbo but never did, now i have $400 worth of shiny snail shaped paperweights.

Reactions: AgentSireX

·
Registered
317 Posts
Preludesi_2004 said:
check the turbo. pull it out if u can and check the compressor wheels. If any fins are bent, or rusty, dont get it. Chances are something could have went in there like a rock and could probably be in there :lol: Check the wheel for shaft play, push it up and down and side to side to see if it moves, if it moves a lot, and you can get it cheaper, you can rebuild it, but dont do it yourself. Turbos need to be rebuilt carefully and need to be balanced. Just make sure you are going to go through with turbo. I have 2 turbos, a 14b and a t3 sitting in my garage bc i told myself i was going to turbo but never did, now i have $400 worth of shiny snail shaped paperweights.
You could be a nice person and give me the t3 for free plus shipping :turn:

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
garrett t3 .42

pretty good physical condition, tad bit of shaft play but not excessive, and it has 2 decent cracks in exhaust housing but can be welded or swapped easily considering its garrett. I'd let it go for around $200+ shipping , my dumb ass payed $350 shipped for this thing and i dont use it :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
:lol: id like to go cheaper but i need money to get my mr2 project up and going again. Tint, alignment, and im thinkin bout getting new wheels for it but im not sure. But garretts are one of the best turbo's that you can buy :emthup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah you right, I really hope to beable to find a garret t3 in that exact size for a decent price when i turbo next year. good deal i'd jump on that if i had the $.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
im assuming its a ball bearing turbo? or no?

and even at that price im still interested. would be a few weeks as my motor isnt together yet and id like to get the car running first before buying a turbo lol, but if you still have it in a couple weeks, i may be in contact with you about it

bought a 90 with a blown b21; cracked valves, thrown rod bearings (yes, plural, 2 thrown bearings lol), blown head gasket, but the car is in mint shape. just needs a motor. so i took my spare b20a5 motor and am having it bored to fit new b21 pistons, with my rebuilt b20a5 head. after its back together, i know i'll want more power lol.

so, is it a ball bearing turbo?

and whats the a/r hot side? i see in the pic the .42 a/r is the compressor side...

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
hey no its not ball bearing that i know of. The guy that gave it to me didnt tell me much and i havent checked the a/r of the hot side yet. ive had it for over 4 months sitting in a bag and box in my garage :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts