Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to check on something. I have a 92 lude si 4ws auto.
The rpm at a stoplight is always 1000, when i am braking the car will dip to 1000, then make a quick flip up to the first hash mark after the 1, then back to one. i can feel the car's engine hold itself back at this point.

Im crazy about RPM's,my Probe was a pain in the ass in this department so I get touchy if anything's off just a bit. I love the rpm so far it always steady at 1000 even w/ air conditioning on.
When I first start up it revs high like at around 1500 to 2000 rpm, then it cools down.

Should I be worried bought anything?
Its a rebuilt engine in the car so I just wanna be sure everything is fine.

Also, the car gets hot as hell, I mean I can feel the heat in my face with the windows down, but the temp never gets over a half and my car has never leaked one fluid since I bought it in middle of March.

Also the shocks suck but thats a different thing.

Anything I should be looking for?
In general because I just bought it and it seems that a lot of ticky tack stuff has happened so far (brake light switch/broken axle/tires/ etc.)

Any comments on this crazy ass post would be great
thanks
Steve

·
The Good Stuff
3,587 Posts
If it's as hot as you say it is, check your antifreeze anyway and see if there's any in your reservior. Your gauge might be off as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i mean, what does an automatic usually idle at in drive?
I like how it idles but if its incorrect it will bite me in the ass eventually.

Gotta remember I owned a Probe GT automatic. Im lucky I aint dead, on the day i bought it and the last day i drove it the the throttle body lever got stuck under a pipe so every time id hit over 30, the car would continue accelerating even without my doing... so ya know, i no like da fords no mo'

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yeah, the auto in 4th gen Ludes is touchy. When I'm in park in idles higher than in gear.. and at stop lights, 1k is pretty normal. Mine stays a little lower, but yeah.

There are a few quirks where it jumps up. I never have the AC on, so I can't help you with that.

I just figured it's a weird tranny and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I was driving today, and my idle in gear is a little above 1k, so again.. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's too bad that Honda didn't make a 5-spd auto.. revving at 3k at 60mph blows.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 92 si manual (non vetc) revs 3000 at 60mph... no big deal... it is a 4-banger after all

·
Registered
127 Posts
I guess i have the oppisite probelm :dontgetit:. My car idles at about 500. would having it that low affect anything? i know its below factory which is 600-750, with everything off. I tried to fix it with the idle screw thing on the throttle body but it didnt do anything really except start leaking a tiny bit. but then the instructions said to do some vacuum stuff that didnt know what the heck how to do.:tongue:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 92 si manual (non vetc) revs 3000 at 60mph... no big deal... it is a 4-banger after all
Just swapped H22A/LSD... it runs about 62 mph at 3000 rpm thanks to slightly different gear ratios

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
our cars are made for high rpms thats why the meat of the powerband is up over 6k rpms so you can expect the car to run at high rpms at high speeds. I usually sit at about 4k at 70mph but I have the p2t4 tranny from the accord so idk

·
Registered
86 Posts
our cars are made for high rpms thats why the meat of the powerband is up over 6k rpms so you can expect the car to run at high rpms at high speeds. I usually sit at about 4k at 70mph but I have the p2t4 tranny from the accord so idk

mines a little different i'm sittin' at about 4,100 at about 80 or 82

·
Registered
142 Posts
[email protected] is about normal for an Lude tranny... USDM Vtec tranny has the shortest ratios... the base model F22 tanny has the highest ratios... the rest are in between, but all are similar. [email protected] etc... see a trend developing... and yea, these little 4 bangers with power are gonna scream a little... (if you want a 4 banger that goes 70+ at 3000rpms get a corolla :) )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts