Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of things can be done to a carbed 1.8 prelude. My old lude was a 2.0SI and I want to make this new car zoom zoom, but affraid because its not FI im going to be limited in my options.

·
DCOE45Z
2,946 Posts
sorry i think u pm'd me didn't you? pros/cons will vary between the 2 systems.

f/i is all automated so theres not too much hands on, just plug the wires and go.

i prefer the carbs cuz you see results with every screw you turn and how you manage to stay on the throttle properly cuz carbs like to load up with gas and bog out!

1.8model is lighter, cheaper and wayyyyy easier to fix!

2.0 is more luxurious, power accesories (more weight) but id say a little more realible than the carbs. On the other hand...more options means more shit to go wrong, especially with 20+ year old car!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
IDTrav said:
sorry i think u pm'd me didn't you? pros/cons will vary between the 2 systems.

f/i is all automated so theres not too much hands on, just plug the wires and go.

i prefer the carbs cuz you see results with every screw you turn and how you manage to stay on the throttle properly cuz carbs like to load up with gas and bog out!

1.8model is lighter, cheaper and wayyyyy easier to fix!

2.0 is more luxurious, power accesories (more weight) but id say a little more realible than the carbs. On the other hand...more options means more shit to go wrong, especially with 20+ year old car!
Agreed, but i'm wishing i had that luxurious interior!

·
Registered
100 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, most of the stuff on the 2.0 (like power windows) should bolt on. If you look at where the "fancy" stuff is supposed to be on a 1.8l theres mounts and holes for stuff to bolt-on.

·
B-series Swap King
1,890 Posts
yea, honda did that so they didn't have to make two drivers side doors and two psg side doors. Makes sense. They saved time and money doing it that way. I like FI mainly cuz it can be easier to deal with. Sometimes with my old carbs, I would run into problems with them, and I had no clue on how to fix them. DX is lighter, and hence why I am doing my swap in a DX. Would have been easier in an SI though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hehe i was just going to switch the doors but if the mounts and all that stuff is already in there, i'll just transfer the power windows and mirrors over, its the only thing im missing

·
Registered
833 Posts
My dx was alot faster than my Si. It actually responded alot better to the same mods. With headers, exhaust, the air box mod, and carb spring mod it was faster than my 2000 teg with headers and an intake. I still haven't got the Si to that point.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I am partial to SI... Upgrade the crap ignition system (aftermarket ignition control, bigger wires, better coil, etc)
Up fuel pressure a bit
CAI (straight as possible)
Makes throttle respose instant with better ignition system.
And about accesories going wrong... I see 5 year old cars where the power windows dont work, mine are almost 20 years old and still work.

I can keep pace with newer hondas like civics and teggies, even took out a 3g tegg.

So I am for FI. Carbs are easy to fool with, but FI is more fine tunable I think.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hmm.... So many reasons for both... don't know which one I wanna get...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SquishyPanda said:
Hmm.... So many reasons for both... don't know which one I wanna get...
Im in the same boat. I had a SI, but im leaning towards a Carb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts