Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5th gen prelude. I found the source of the rattle on my car. Its the spoiler. My spoiler is OEM and the screws hold the spoiler tightly down. However, the rattle is coming from inside the middle of the spoiler where the light is.

Does anybody else have the same problem? If so, what did you do to fix it.
I dont want to remove the spoiler, i like the look of the spoiler on the prelude.

I was wondering if dynamatting the trunk would stop the spoiler from rattling. PLEASE HELP ME WITH OPINIONS AND ADVICE. THANKS
Posted via Mobile

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
I have a 5th gen prelude. I found the source of the rattle on my car. Its the spoiler. My spoiler is OEM and the screws hold the spoiler tightly down. However, the rattle is coming from inside the middle of the spoiler where the light is.

Does anybody else have the same problem? If so, what did you do to fix it.
I dont want to remove the spoiler, i like the look of the spoiler on the prelude.

I was wondering if dynamatting the trunk would stop the spoiler from rattling. PLEASE HELP ME WITH OPINIONS AND ADVICE. THANKS
Posted via Mobile
yeah mine used to rattle like a bitch. Drive your car to a hardware store with a 10mm socket. Take one of the bolts out from your wing and take it inside with you. Buy 4 or 8 rubber washers that will fit around the bolt. Then it's basically up to you to take your wing off and put one or two washers in between the wing and the deck lid. I also went the extra mile and used some blue threadlocker on the bolts just to make sure they wouldn't rattle loose. Fixed it like a charm.

·
Chatbox Whore
1,570 Posts
yeah mine used to rattle like a bitch. Drive your car to a hardware store with a 10mm socket. Take one of the bolts out from your wing and take it inside with you. Buy 4 or 8 rubber washers that will fit around the bolt. Then it's basically up to you to take your wing off and put one or two washers in between the wing and the deck lid. I also went the extra mile and used some blue threadlocker on the bolts just to make sure they wouldn't rattle loose. Fixed it like a charm.
x2

I was going to say the exact same thing, beat me to it, rubber washers ftw!

·
Registered
174 Posts
its most liekly the wiring harness inside the spoiler...take the ligth out and use some small strips of dynamat or even duct tape to secure the harness to the spoiler....if its a tight fit you could get some spray on dynamat, spray insulation, or even spray on bed liner and spray it nice and thick on the harness. if you cake it on the harness should stick underneath...

just do not use expanding foam unless is comes from Select Products. Their expanding foam wont push out.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
would this reduce vibration to the whole spoiler?
cause my rattle is coming from the break light on the spoiler.
Not 100% sure but my logic states that if you isolate the entire spoiler from vibration, any parts of the spoiler should stop vibrating.

if it is the wiring harness as the above poster suggested, tape it to something or dynamat.

PS. Great Stuff makes a foam insulation that says "NO EXPANSION" right on the can. That stuff would be safe to use. But I wouldn't be filling anything with foam that has a light bulb I may need to change in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts