Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to all 5th gens.....

seems to me that a lot of 5th gens has been "return to stock".
how would you be able to tell if a 5th gen has been hook up or turbo before?

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
you really can't...Just do a compression test and a leak down test to see how the motor is running still.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prelude1897 said:
you really can't...Just do a compression test and a leak down test to see how the motor is running still.....
there must be a way to tell by lookin at the car... right?

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Yes.

You can usually tell if the engine had been modded....just look the engine bay over well...look at the bolt heads on the engine mounts, do they look like they have been removed before? Normally you'd see some etching on the head of the bolt where the socket would have damaged it some...stock, never been removed bolts look brand new as far as the head condition is concerned.

Look at the exhaust manifold, are the bolts new? really rusted? Usually you can tell if the exhaust manifold has been removed just by looking at it...that would have been done if it was turboed.

I know Hondas so well I can tell this stuff by looking at the car but I understand that most people probably cannot.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am going to check out this prelude tomorrow. i will take pictures of the engine bay in and out. post it up. let me know what you see and what you dont. is that cool with you?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
lenjaiah said:
i am going to check out this prelude tomorrow. i will take pictures of the engine bay in and out. post it up. let me know what you see and what you dont. is that cool with you?
going from turbo back to stock? sounds like a big waste.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
borcth said:
going from turbo back to stock? sounds like a big waste.
Maybe, unless if you're trying to sell the car...Ask yourself, would you really want to buy a Prelude that has been turbo charged? People can say that's it reliable, but nothing is more reliable than a stock motor

·
Registered
98 Posts
stock doesnt necessarily mean thats its better. I know alot of modders out there that take care of their cars. And there are alot of non modders out there that dont take care of their engines.

Personally, I would check out the engine first. But I would rather buy a car from a modder that knows about engines and truly loves his car, rather than some guy who doesnt know jack but just uses his car and probably doesnt know how to take care of his car.

·
Test PipE MasTeR
1,488 Posts
theres always ways to find out. like check if anything was cut or scuffed to make a part fit

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
JLude said:
Look at the exhaust manifold, are the bolts new? really rusted? Usually you can tell if the exhaust manifold has been removed just by looking at it...that would have been done if it was turboed.
it could also have been done if they just put on an aftermarket header. doesn't necessarily mean the stock header was replaced w/ a turbo manifold.

if the person knows what they're doing they can cover up the fact that any modding was done. i personally kept all stock nuts, bolts, etc when i put my car back to stock. there was no way anyone could have known it was modded by looking at the engine bay.

my best suggestion is to do a compression check/leak down test. this will give you a good idea if there are any problems. if the motor is in good condition, it doesn't matter that it was modded, imo.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
fastkill said:
e u gettin anoher lude?
nahh dude.
my next car will be a new car.

Boosted521 said:
it could also have been done if they just put on an aftermarket header. doesn't necessarily mean the stock header was replaced w/ a turbo manifold.

if the person knows what they're doing they can cover up the fact that any modding was done. i personally kept all stock nuts, bolts, etc when i put my car back to stock. there was no way anyone could have known it was modded by looking at the engine bay.

my best suggestion is to do a compression check/leak down test. this will give you a good idea if there are any problems. if the motor is in good condition, it doesn't matter that it was modded, imo.

yea keeping everything is what i would do also. hmmmm this is kinda interesting not to be able to tell if they are smart about it.

compression check / leak down test huh....
how would you be able to do all these test before buying that car?
pretty sure the owner WILL NOT let you if your not buying it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts