Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I am just wondering if it would be possible and reasonably inexpensive to get VTEC for my Prelude Si. It has an F22z6 in it and i am just wondering if there are any F series heads that can fit onto my motor so i can get VTEC. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1999 Prelude. F20B/K20A hybrid rebuild
193 Posts
A Frankenstein build like that is called a “G23” or “G22” build. I’m NOT sure if specifically a F22z6 is compatible with such a build. But do some research on a “G22” build and you might get some information. All these motors have been around for a long time as well as the frankenstein “G23/22” builds and there is a reason they’re not so popular. F23/F22’s have lower compression pistons so even if you put on a VTEC head the motor would not make nearly as much power as a H22 Vtec. The reliability is questionable also, oil ports and oil orifices have to be modified and also many parts will be needed from a Vtec motor which can add up $ quickly. Not to mention you would NEED to wire in Vtec and get a ECU that could be tuned for the motor. I would not call such a build inexpensive, it’s possible to be done cheap but the reliability will be sacrificed. It will be easier and cheaper and more reliable to find and swap in a H22/ H23a/ or F20B Vtec motor and have all the benefits of Vtec with the reliability of a stock motor. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Frankenstein build like that is called a “G23” or “G22” build. I’m NOT sure if specifically a F22z6 is compatible with such a build. But do some research on a “G22” build and you might get some information. All these motors have been around for a long time as well as the frankenstein “G23/22” builds and there is a reason they’re not so popular. F23/F22’s have lower compression pistons so even if you put on a VTEC head the motor would not make nearly as much power as a H22 Vtec. The reliability is questionable also, oil ports and oil orifices have to be modified and also many parts will be needed from a Vtec motor which can add up $ quickly. Not to mention you would NEED to wire in Vtec and get a ECU that could be tuned for the motor. I would not call such a build inexpensive, it’s possible to be done cheap but the reliability will be sacrificed. It will be easier and cheaper and more reliable to find and swap in a H22/ H23a/ or F20B Vtec motor and have all the benefits of Vtec with the reliability of a stock motor. Hope this helps!
Thanks mate, that helps me lots. I will probably get a h22a4 and an ecu from a VTi-R to get VTEC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts