Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i sold my 88 prelude and now im looking at a 91 2.0 si. okay he wants 1000 but theres minor problems and the owner b4 him lost the title so basically he bought the car with no title and now im gonna buy it so how can i purchase it and still get a title. and no, the car is not stolen.

i think its a 91 alb too, at least it says that ...

some one give me info on the alb prelude!

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you know what state the title is in you should be able to pay to get a second(lost) title or you can apply for a salvage title. If you know somebody that works in the towing business, they might be able to get you an abandoned title. Buddy of mine has done that before.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you can apply for a lost title in most states. Could be in your best interest to have him do it though. I've never done it though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any more idea how? i really dont want it to be a salvage title then ill hate it and dont want it anymore

·
Registered
739 Posts
any more idea how? i really dont want it to be a salvage title then ill hate it and dont want it anymore
Have the seller apply for a lost title and have him pay for it. Best to have it done before you buy it that way when you do get the car you won't have a problem getting it registered.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guess i could try that but to me if its a 88 i wouldnt mind but a 91, clean looking. i would like it to be clean title.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would settle for anything that I could get registered. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
if you know or can find the person the title's name is in, you can get them to file for lost title. when the replacement title comes to them, they can transfer the title to you (sell you the car, as far as the state is concerned).

if you cannot find the registered owner or they are unwilling to file for lost title, there is probably a mechanic's lien or storage lien you can use to apply for ownership of the car.

in oklahoma it's called a "title 42", and it takes about a month and a half of paperwork to acomplish.

·
Me+you+your friend=fun
1,547 Posts
Hey Mynes, welcome to the site.
Iv'e seen your car on Craigslist a couple times.
Trying to remember your from Socal correct?

I would definitely tell the seller to handle the lost title.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oo. ill go talk to the owner as of right now to see what he can do.

Hey Mynes, welcome to the site.
Iv'e seen your car on Craigslist a couple times. Did it ever sell?
yea..i sold it but it didnt go with the kaminari kit though.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Used car buying tip:

NEVER hand over any money until they are ready to sign over the title. It's the responsibility of the selling party to get the title. (I don't even think it's legal to sell a car that is not titled in your name.)

The title is the only thing that actually proves ownership of a car, so if you don't have it in your possession at least signed over to you by the current owner listed on the title, you don't own that car.

People get screwed by this all the time, not realizing it could be a long time before they get a title and are able to register the car and drive it. You can't even have a car hauled away for scrap without the title.

·
Me+you+your friend=fun
1,547 Posts
Used car buying tip:

NEVER hand over any money until they are ready to sign over the title. It's the responsibility of the selling party to get the title. (I don't even think it's legal to sell a car that is not titled in your name.)

The title is the only thing that actually proves ownership of a car, so if you don't have it in your possession at least signed over to you by the current owner listed on the title, you don't own that car.

People get screwed by this all the time, not realizing it could be a long time before they get a title and are able to register the car and drive it. You can't even have a car hauled away for scrap without the title.
Agreed 100% no title in hand no buy... It could take you months to get it and just not worth it.

I say from experience because iv'e been through this exact scenario.
Lucky for me the guy I bought it from took it back because I couldn't get the title.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't ever buy a car without a title. Both of my RX7s have title issues and I still don't have a title for my current RX7. It's a royal PITA to fight with that shit. Just don't do it and keep the hairs on your head.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay. the owner told me that in order to get the title, he has to register the car in non-op. is this true or is it b.s. or he could just write me a bill of sale and i can just take it to the dmv stating that i bought the car so basically all i need is to smog the car to get my tags and title.

btw the car is blowing white smoke during idle warm up and right after you let go off throttle. is this bad. the car is in great shape but has minor problems.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
okay. the owner told me that in order to get the title, he has to register the car in non-op. is this true or is it b.s. or he could just write me a bill of sale and i can just take it to the dmv stating that i bought the car so basically all i need is to smog the car to get my tags and title.

btw the car is blowing white smoke during idle warm up and right after you let go off throttle. is this bad. the car is in great shape but has minor problems.

Not that easy, as far as the DMV is concerned he doesn't own that car because his name isn't listed as the owner in their database. He can't write a bill of sale for a car he doesn't own.

·
Premium Member
16,911 Posts
Not that easy, as far as the DMV is concerned he doesn't own that car because his name isn't listed as the owner in their database. He can't write a bill of sale for a car he doesn't own.
I say move on and find another lude, because unless you are willing to do a lot of research and waiting around to find out if you can legally transfer it, then it wont be easy.

You have to do what was told you to earlier in the thread, or else it will not be transferred.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
don't buy it unless they can get the title sorted out. Second salvage titles suck for resale value, many insurance companies will never give you full coverage for it even if you fall in love with it and put a lot of money in it fixing it up as many do. Also if someone else hits your car your going to have a harder time proving that is not a pos car to get it fixed by THEIR insurance. Especially if its totalled. There are lots of reasons that salvaged title sucks. Oh just thought of another one. If you buy a honda with salvaged title and the seat belts are not retracting right like many don't on 3rd gen preludes they don't have to honor the lifetime warranty and replace your seatbelts for free as the car legaly has outlived its life now being salvaged title so they don't have to do shit. Also you should know there is no such thing as a 90-91 2.0si with alb. The antilock brakes only came on si's those years and came with b21a1 engine with frm sleeves which could be the reason for the smoke ie rings /cylinder walls. Or could just be the valve seals. A.L.B. have a resivour on passenger side by the battery.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts

as mustard said, a bill of sale from the seller wouldnt mean squat to dmv, because its not titled to him. only the person that the title of the car is registered to can write a bill of sale.

if he registers the car in "non-op", it'll make it just that much harder to get a title, so dont do that either. because that is basically the same as reporting to dmv that the car was junked, without a title, which is illegal.

either get the title, or dont buy it.

get the vin of the car, and do a carfax report. it'll give you the status of the title, and history of the car, and should also give the name that it's titled to if i remember correctly. then you can find that person and have them file for a new title

1 - 20 of 21 Posts