Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to my build page. I was collecting parts for this build since I got the car (4 - 5 years now), my biggest problems not to start earlier was TIME and SPACE. Finally I got the garage, so let's start.

There she is, pretty much in the same condition as I picked it up (except JDM headlights ). This is going to be STOCK OEM build with a tendency to bring it little bit closer to the year of 1994. when she was originally build.
I will start with a rebuilding suspension, exhaust ...... refresh engine bay, and move up to do some work on interior and exterior of the vehicle.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I started with a removing brake, calipers, suspension parts....

This is the tool that makes job enjoyable (ball joints separator):

Pressing out wheel bearing :

Pushing out ball joints:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My original plan was to try removing lower arm bushings without cutting them. I was using 10t press, right size couplings and some rusty bolts remover to try to accomplish that. I did not worry about the front arm (I have those brand new ones), so I need to remove total 6 bushings from rear arms:

This worked, well almost worked, I was able to remove 3 bushings without a problem, for 2 of them I had to go back and fort but one bushing just keep resisting .......

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Since I couldn't remove one last one bushing from lower arm, I went to look around for some shop with a bigger press. I randomly pick up some shop which I didn't visit before (what a mistake) I asked the guy do they have a bigger press to press out the bushing? He said yea we can do that without answering my question? He came back after a 15 minutes with a couple of deep scratches inside the bushing Chanel and even with a damaged edge ???
Was so upset, but to late damaged was already done ................
At first I was thinking to pick up the part from junkyard or eBay and start all over again since they discontinued the part from Honda. But after spending some time behind the computer looking for a solution, I ended up picking up some 5G parts which one should be the same and best replacement. So will see about that.

Removed radiator:

Removed condenser:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
little bit dirty, but is not so bad:

Thermostat, thermostat housing removed:

Bunch of dirt inside the this coolant overflow reservoir:

Center beam, removed, this engine mount is cracked:

Outer tie rod removed:

Boot removed, inner tie rod in bad shape:

Inner tie rod, removed:

Coolant engine block draining bolt, removed:

Wasn't ease to remove it, I manage to damage it:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
All struts and springs are out:

This spring compressor it's amazing tool, makes the job enjoyable, quick and safe:

Sway bar is out:

Rear center beam and muffler heat shield, removed:

Dropped the leaking, engine oil pan:

This engine oil picker removed:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Fuel filter removal:

New fuel filter:

New fuel filter installed:

I did not plan to do it, but I couldn't stand this rusty ABS bracket, I need to do something about that:

ABS removed:

Removed this actuator because of the same reason:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
At this stage, most of the time I am spending on cleaning the parts .... And I am trying to organize a little bit (bunch of parts and bolts lying around the one car garage ). I did send a first set of parts to a powder coating shop, wasn't sure am I need to do powder coating at all since we do not have a much problems with a rust here........ but couldn't resist, now or never.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started removal of the gas tank:

The hardest part was to drain the gasoline (I did not plan to do this so I had a lot of gasoline inside) and put it in the other vehicle. With a help of a floor jack the old tank was out:

On my big surprise was looking very clean inside:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Fuel pump assembly removed:

Fuel pump removed:

Removed everything else from the tank:

New fuel pump ready to go:

I found no difference between the old pump and new one:

New tank ready to go, Honda OEM like 99% of the parts in this build:

New gaskets:

Fuel pump assembly all cleaned up, new gasket:

Cleaned the parts and reinstalled them with a new gaskets, new VALVE, FUEL CUT and new VALVE (TWO-WAY) (TEC) installed:

New fuel tank ready to go in:

Reinstalled the new fuel tank on the vehicle, I have already to many bolts and nuts lying around so I wonted to finish this process all at ones.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts