Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1140 Posts

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well its been a while since ive been active on here. my b21a1 had been having problems and finally gave up the ghost about 2 months ago, so this will be my resurrection of the lude.

i will be sure to add plenty of useful info and pics as much as i can to help others in the future, because i know threads like this have inspired/helped me countless times.

OK so here it is. its a 1990 prelude si. i painted it 2002 honda formula red about a year ago (and did everything by myself) i had it in really good condition and tried to sell it a few times because i bought a crx, but nobody bought it (which i now realize was a blessing from God lol- i cant bring myself to get rid of it now)

heres some pics with more coming soon... enjoy and let me know what you guys think :)

this is what it looked like when i first brought it home. 147,000 decent interior, and i was positive it was the fastest thing ever.

body work and exedy stage 1 clutch kit all at once...

then after the body work was done, i got some springs and dropped it a little. then to paint it i used acryllic enamel 2002 honda formula red (3 coats) over rustoleum spray can primer and sprayed bulldog on all the trim and mirrors to let the paint adhere correctly. for ~$250 im really happy with the results :satisfied:

now it looks good and has a nice pioneer sound setup but needs a heart... more to come soon.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
hey the paint looks good....and just so ya know rustoleum primer is a good primer and you can use it out of the can with no worries,the only reason why you would want to put it in a spray gun is so you know it is coating it evenly...believe me what you did will work fine...great job!

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey the paint looks good....and just so ya know rustoleum primer is a good primer and you can use it out of the can with no worries,the only reason why you would want to put it in a spray gun is so you know it is coating it evenly...believe me what you did will work fine...great job!
yeah that paint has actually been on the car for like a year now. its really durable stuff. and i sprayed the primer pretty evenly and wetsanded it then primed again and wetsanded again. if you take your time on bodywork and prep, you can make a car look really good. prep is the most important part.:wink:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
did the formula red come out of a spraycan, too?

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
did the formula red come out of a spraycan, too?
nah mang i got a gallon of the ae and reducer and some other can of something... i kinda forgot its been a while. i used a 50 gallon compressor and a hvp (i think) gun to spray the coats in a booth my friend's grandpa has. pretty fun for my first time. nowhere near perfect but i like it.

UPDATE: i just got off the phone with paul at gotjdm.com and my jdm b20a will be shipped out of their whearhouse by wed. of this week. im pretty stoked.

started pulling stuff from the car today. harness disconected, rad is out and all coolant lines, shift linkages, intake, yadda yadda. my egr bung was too rusty to get loose and rounded over really bad. does the jdm one use egr? im using the b21 intake mani as well...

·
boost cooming soon!
567 Posts
i had the same problem with my egr on the manifold i did everything possible to get mine off but no luck and i also got my engine from got-jdm.com i think i spoke with a guy named josh but the b20a i purchesed failed the compression test and they said the found me another 1 but when i got it, it was a damn b21a1 but it was in such good condition(out side and internaly all new bolts and gaskets look as if it had been a brand new recently rebuilt engine and it had a recent auto tranny bolted up to it) i ended up keepn it and im putn it in my lude wendsday i just got my stage 1 clutch and lightend fly,& all my shit i need to get it in and now the engine and tranny r bolted up and ready to drop n wendsday

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that sucks man... he said that they had two b20a's in stock to ship out so im bound to get one i guess! lol

-hey to the guys leaving comments in my garage about no pics, i just put a couple of these up if you felt like commenting or whatever.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I kept getting screwed on b20a's, companys claimed they had them but didnt or they had been sitting so long they were jacked up etc.

So I'm going h22
Good luck, its lookin good!

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update:

so i started on pulling my motor... pics

you can kinda see i pulled the wiring harness

heres a better one that shows the rad, coolant hoses and other stuff.
basically all thats left is the axles (which i dont have a socket for)
and the mounts then pull it! (which i dont have a hoist for)

awesome feeling to get something done on this for once.
because honestly, ive been slacking.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wowo good work so far, that lude is looking great! I wish mine were that clean! How did you get the top of the engine painted red on the old b21a1? Im guessing you needed a special paint, as the engine heat would skrew up regular stuff?

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wowo good work so far, that lude is looking great! I wish mine were that clean! How did you get the top of the engine painted red on the old b21a1? Im guessing you needed a special paint, as the engine heat would skrew up regular stuff?
yeah, 500 degree engine enamel.
i think theres a write up about it on this site somewhere if you want to do it yourself. just check

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks, Ill definitely check that out, post more pics once you drop the new engine, can't wait to see those!

·
Registered
265 Posts
haha, Its usually freezing out when Im working on the car.

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aw, crap.

so i get this email. 'your order has been cancelled'
apparently, the b20a i ordered failed the compression test...

im ordering another as soon as my bank clears the pending charge.
got the cherry picker today.
still need that socket though...
i think ill go get it right now :smile2:

1 - 20 of 1140 Posts