Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, i have a problem on my prelude and i believe it's something electrical... When i drive it in regular floor or going up a street it runs fine, but when i drive it down the street it fails, accelerator doesnt work and the car just shuts off... Ive changed spark plugs, gasoline filter, the gasoline pump is working fine, ive changed the coil too, tool the head of the engine out, ive cleaned many times the intake... I believe its something eletrical... Some people said to change the sparkplug wires, some people told me to change the distributor too... What do you guys think? Thank you for the help in advance! Cheers everyone ??

·
Premium Member
16,601 Posts
Hello guys, i have a problem on my prelude and i believe it's something electrical... When i drive it in regular floor or going up a street it runs fine, but when i drive it down the street it fails, accelerator doesnt work and the car just shuts off... Ive changed spark plugs, gasoline filter, the gasoline pump is working fine, ive changed the coil too, tool the head of the engine out, ive cleaned many times the intake... I believe its something eletrical... Some people said to change the sparkplug wires, some people told me to change the distributor too... What do you guys think? Thank you for the help in advance! Cheers everyone ??
Sounds a lot like a tps sensor issue. Just search the FAQ section we have some write ups in there regarding throttle response. Its at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It seems odd that the TPS would not operate properly because of this. Too, I wonder if the TPS is more likely to have one or more tiny (?) dead spots that are present all the time instead of a TPS problem being an all or nothing kind of problem. A dead spot is a dead spot regardless of whether the car is climbing or descending. I happen to have a tiny dead spot at about the 1/3 position on my TPS and you'd never know this problem exists without measuring the output voltage with a multimeter. Even if I had several of those "tiny" dead spots I don't think they would cause a noticeable problem. Large dead zones would be another problem and I have a feeling you would see serious performance problems, regardless of frame angle.

What changes when the car is heading uphill and then downhill? I can't think of anything that changes depending on angle of the car frame except fluids, namely, gasoline, coolant, oil, brake fluid, or coffee in the cup you are holding.

I can't think why gas in the tank would not flow out because of a downward angle of the car.

The only thing I can think of is that the air in the coolant needs to be bled out. When I've failed to do that I've had very hard starting issues. As in NO starting.

Also, I had big problems with car stalling at idle when it reached operating temperature. Such as when stopping at a red light. The problem was slightly fouled plugs interestingly enough. Maybe when you are headed downhill you take your foot of the accelerator just as you would at a stop sign. The engine heads toward idle speed and voila same problem as mine. But . . . you said you changed the plugs so forget that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Going downhill, u are off throttle, and as Sean pointed out, the TPS is a good place to start. Can u jump them? I did have a car once once upon a time where the EGR caused it to die when the throttle was closed, it ran just fine off idle. I unplugged it, it passed emissions, so I never looked back. Runs fine with EGR unplugged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts