Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a tune up for my 98 base lude, it has 106,000 mi and still has factory wires. Are high out- put distributor cap, rotor button and plug wire really worth all the extra cash?? My mechanic told me that most of the time "High Performance" just means better plastic and rubber used as the housings and insulation,along with fancy bright colors; but that the actual metal parts, or "guts" of the part that do the actual work are usually the same and the car isnt any faster- but the parts would last longer and not need to be changed out as often.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The mechanic pretty much hit the nail on the head. Similar to using the factory recommended spark plugs, or their copper counterparts: The coppers perform perfectly well and are much cheaper, but it is well understood that they don't last near as long as the factory platinum(?).

Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am doing a tune up for my 98 base lude, it has 106,000 mi and still has factory wires. Are high out- put distributor cap, rotor button and plug wire really worth all the extra cash?? My mechanic told me that most of the time "High Performance" just means better plastic and rubber used as the housings and insulation,along with fancy bright colors; but that the actual metal parts, or "guts" of the part that do the actual work are usually the same and the car isnt any faster- but the parts would last longer and not need to be changed out as often.
I think most people swear by the ngk plugs (usually iridium) and their blue wires. I don't think you could do any better than the oem distributor cap and rotor either. Maybe there is a better aftermarket alternative if you are making a ton of power but I'm not too familiar with that.

I personally use this setup on a basically stock motor and it lasts a long time and never gives any problems.

·
Registered
117 Posts
NGK Iridium plugs and blue wires in mine along with oem dizzy and all that good stuff. Honestly the only worth while upgrade besides this to do to the ignition is if you were on some kind of crazy motor/power setup and went full COP imo which 99% of people don't need . I'd say you're better off keeping the system mostly/all oem, I have no experience with anything else but It seems there are a lot of issues with people going with crazy mix match setups or MSD ignition setups on these cars for some reason.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Definitely do not buy anything but OEM for ignition.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
OE Honda Cap & Rotor, NGK Iridium spark plugs, and NGK wires are a perfect option. This applies to both box-stock and stout H22's. Your mechanic nailed it right on the head. "Fancy" parts like an MSD ignition, thicker wires, and fancy plugs are hot fucking garbage and should be avoided at all costs. Whenever a member has issues with their ignition, it's the first thing we ask about.

So, to review:

OE Honda distributor caps & rotors are made of the best quality plastics, seals, metals, and electronic components. They're OE and last a long time for a reason; don't buy cheap junk. The only comparable item that I've come across is Bosch; they offer a quality cap and rotor at a fair price. I've been using said Bosch parts on my car for the last 30,000 miles without a single complaint.

NGK "blue" 8mm wires are the same exact thing as the OE wires, except for the fact that they're blue in color, and they're considerably cheaper than buying a set from Honda. It should be noted that NGK provides the ignition wires that came on the H22 from the factory.

NGK iridium plugs are more durable than the factory copper (or platinum) and are only slightly more expensive than their cheaper counterparts. They'll last nearly twice as long as most OE plugs, and don't require any gapping.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OE Honda Cap & Rotor, NGK Iridium spark plugs, and NGK wires are a perfect option. This applies to both box-stock and stout H22's. Your mechanic nailed it right on the head. "Fancy" parts like an MSD ignition, thicker wires, and fancy plugs are hot fucking garbage and should be avoided at all costs. Whenever a member has issues with their ignition, it's the first thing we ask about.

So, to review:

OE Honda distributor caps & rotors are made of the best quality plastics, seals, metals, and electronic components. They're OE and last a long time for a reason; don't buy cheap junk. The only comparable item that I've come across is Bosch; they offer a quality cap and rotor at a fair price. I've been using said Bosch parts on my car for the last 30,000 miles without a single complaint.

NGK "blue" 8mm wires are the same exact thing as the OE wires, except for the fact that they're blue in color, and they're considerably cheaper than buying a set from Honda. It should be noted that NGK provides the ignition wires that came on the H22 from the factory.

NGK iridium plugs are more durable than the factory copper (or platinum) and are only slightly more expensive than their cheaper counterparts. They'll last nearly twice as long as most OE plugs, and don't require any gapping.
thats what i figured, I bought a pair of wires 10.2 mm in thickness for $25. Some of the set I saw, made by Taylor cost up to $100; and the wires were as thick as my finger- I dont know how much better they would perform.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Wire thickness has no impact on performance, especially when it comes down to an H22. Too often people mistake that "thick wires = more skookum".

·
Registered
241 Posts

So, to review:

Man, I've had the exact opposite experience with Bosch ignition components. It might have just been the old Jeep I had them on didn't agree with them though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Buddy of mine back in the day had a fully built H22 on boost, and that motor ran OEM cap, rotor, and wires. The plugs where just a couple of steps hotter and this motor laid down just a tic over 450 HP on a chassis dyno. So I believe in the quality of the OEM Honda Parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts